PDA

View Full Version : the TRUE meaning of XBOX

Gollum
03-27-2002, 08:26 PM
Sadly, i just recently realized what the hell xbox actually means.

Hackers call a computer a "box."

"X" , of course, symbolizes coolness and mystique.

Thus forth: XBOX. Cool isn't it.

Yes, i know my new-found discovery will be laughed upon by some of you, but hey, most people think the "box" in "xbox" is simply refering to the actual shape of the xbox.

Now as for gamecube, it's name is far too basic. Cube is just a shape and has no other meaning. And anyhow, the system doesn't even take the shape of a cube!

khaos2005
03-27-2002, 09:14 PM
I don't know, the Gamecube seems pretty cubie to me. A lot cubier than PS2 or Xbox. I think I just made up two words. ;)

"X" is also Microsoft's universal symbol for all of their products (read: most). Direct X, Xbox, etc. I can't think of any others offhand, but there are plenty.

X-Factor
03-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005
"X" is also Microsoft's universal symbol for all of their products (read: most). Direct X, Xbox, etc. I can't think of any others offhand, but there are plenty. You forgot Windows XP. :D

khaos2005
03-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Ah yes, exactly. There's another example.

You have to admit, it's a cooler letter than "B". :)

J Dub
03-28-2002, 01:09 AM
Too bad they didn't call it the QBox. That would have been sweet. :(

Marc
03-28-2002, 01:19 AM
I knew a girl that had an xbox before you could buy them...if x stands for extra large...

l Maximus l
03-28-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Marc
I knew a girl that had an xbox before you could buy them...if x stands for extra large...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

Huckleberry
03-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Marc

bro, you could buy "boxes" long before microsoft was around! what's that saying about the world's oldest profession?

baggachipz
03-28-2002, 11:26 AM
I love my xbox, and the name is ok... but...

<b>I am sick of the letter 'x'!</b>

X is used for every marketing campaign these days that's aimed at the young male demographic. More generally, the whole "Generation X" gang. Enough already! Using X is played out, and I hope that by the time the xbox2 comes out they X-craze will have subsided and they will name it something else.

Dare I point out all the times that the letter x is overused and abused? Xtreme, X-games, OSX, Windows XP, Mountain Dew commercials, Taco Bell commercials, x.com, x files, xfree86, expn, xdrive, x10, FX, x-men, xml, activex, devx, divx, x-factor, jaguar x-type, aspx!!!

<b>And that's just scratching the surface!!</b>

Grr....

JJaX
03-28-2002, 11:27 AM
So explain Neo-geo and Mega-drive and super famicon please :D

JJaX
03-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by baggachipz
I love my xbox, and the name is ok... but...

<b>I am sick of the letter 'x'!</b>

X is used for every marketing campaign these days that's aimed at the young male demographic. More generally, the whole "Generation X" gang. Enough already! Using X is played out, and I hope that by the time the xbox2 comes out they X-craze will have subsided and they will name it something else.

Dare I point out all the times that the letter x is overused and abused? Xtreme, X-games, OSX, Windows XP, Mountain Dew commercials, Taco Bell commercials, x.com, x files, xfree86, expn, xdrive, x10, FX, x-men, xml, activex, devx, divx, x-factor, jaguar x-type, aspx!!!

<b>And that's just scratching the surface!!</b>

Grr....

Thats because we are from generation X.

Hell, Why dont we jsut ban the letter from the english vocabulary???

maneatingcow
03-28-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I dont think you would be comfortable being called "JJa"

And I could never get used to calling my black beauty "box"

Just no respect.....

OppiumNitrates
03-28-2002, 11:47 AM
if they named it the U-box when Microsoft comes out with the second one it could have been the W-box

khaos2005
03-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Actually, you would have to call it simply "bo". :)

baggachipz
03-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Thats because we are from generation X.

Sounds good to me!

Hmm... I'm gonna try to pick the next big marketing craze...

What other letter in the English language is underutilized? The letter "Q" is quite mysterious, and is all the way in the corner of my keyboard. Oh, and it is never used without its heterosexual lifepartner, the letter "u"! I think we have a winner!

Xbox2 = Qbox

That's Ass-Qiqin!

baggachipz
03-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Crap, J dub 2k already thought of that... :(

Gollum
03-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Although it's just a rumor, the name of Xbox 2 (or "second xbox" i should say) won't be boxy, nor cubic, nor
circular, hell, it wont even be a shape. There are some who believe Microsoft’s next system will
be called Homestation. Sound familiar? Oh yeah, it sounds a lot like playstation. Homestation
a.k.a. xbox2 won't just be for playing, you'll have the ability to go online and perform tasks such
as banking. If all of this is true, homestation will, in theory, be the first gaming system that can be
hacked. Then again, homestation wouldn't be a gaming system, it'd be a PC with extremely
advanced graphical powers.

Personally, i dont believe "homestation" will ever exist, but i do believe that microsoft will bust
out a brand new kickass console.
Seeing as everything that's online somehow has an E attached to it (ebay, etrade etc.), i think it'd
be pretty neato to call xbox 2 the "Ebox." Or maybe they'll name it xbox², symbolizing that the
next xbox will take gaming to a new dimension. Whatever the hell they call it, i'm most certainly
gonna buy it.