PDA

View Full Version : Just a little ****ed off...

Marc
03-28-2002, 01:34 AM
that the games that developers are making are not taking advantage of the xbox's capabilities. I went to gamestop and played Tyson's Punch Out on the old original Nintendo on the way home from work today. It was surprisingly fun. I got to thinking, those games I used to play like Rolling Thunder, Punch Out, and stuff were FUN. Graphicallly they sucked, but they were fun. I think that the next gen consoles, all of them, are trying to impress with graphics and put less emphasis on game play. I have eight or nine xbox games and most of them are pretty good, but they could ALL be better. Don't get me wrong, I love the xbox, but I feel like developers aren't getting their jobs done. They need to get off their collective asses and turn out some titles that REALLY impress. Titles that you HAVE to have, HAVE to play. So all you developers out there...GET OFF YOUR ASSES AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM!

l Maximus l
03-28-2002, 01:44 AM
Dude...Marc...first, take a chill pill. Secondly, keep in mind that the current XBox games are only first generation games...they were, most-likely developed before the final specs were finished on the XBox. Second and third generation XBox games will be AMAZING!!!

Do you honestly think that any of the games maximize the nVidia graphics card? I think you get my drift...just be patient, and you'll see, buddy! :)

GokuX
03-28-2002, 01:55 AM
I think the quality of Rallisport shows that some of them aren't lazy at all.

LynxFX
03-28-2002, 03:08 AM
Yeah this Summer should really start to show the power of the X.

sinizuh
03-28-2002, 03:35 AM
yea... but Rallisport wasn't fun :P

Durden-XBA
03-28-2002, 06:05 AM
Wait for E3... I think everyone here can agree that there are simply not enough 'Must Buy' games out there yet... But remember, compared to other systems out on the market, the Box is still in its infancy.

I only have 6 games so far, and I know that threre really isn't anything else I want out right now... Give it some time tho, and you'll end up finding sunthin' ya really dig.

I guess my biggest gripe in all of this is that they announce games (really freaking early) and then delay, delay, delay them. That's what really gets me.

Afro Aura
03-28-2002, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by sinizuh
yea... but Rallisport wasn't fun :P
yeah but Halo, Pgr, Gun Valkyrie (just got it and It brilliant), JSRF and so on, they are fanatastic games

JJaX
03-28-2002, 08:07 AM
I think when you play play retro games your being brought back to a simpler time and those games bring out a euphoric feeling. When you think about it, Would you still pay $30.00 for punch out now? Didnt think so.

Dont get me wrong, I love old school games, Hell ive got like 400 of them on my DC. BUt when i boot up a game i used to love, Im like "WoW, This is cool as hell." But im only entertained for a few minutes at the most.

Games make lack in luster and gameplay now (in your opinion)
But once Xbox goes online, Gameplay will never be the same ;)

khaos2005
03-28-2002, 08:33 AM
Well Marc, maybe if you were a developer, you would understand what they go through. It's easy to stand on the sidelines and talk trash, but if you were in their shoes, it might be more clear to you. Cut them some slack, I'm sure they're trying as best they can. At least we hope they are.

mahalan
03-28-2002, 09:00 AM
Marc, it's not that developers are sitting around saying "Well, we COULD make a killer game but we don't want to work that hard or don't have the time."

Developing a game is VERY difficult. Gamers tend to be very picky. If you push a boundry or create a game that ventures into new territory and barely miss the mark your sales will be horrendous. If you create another "me too" game, you risk being crucified in the press and on the Web only to see lackluster sales.

Additionally, no matter how well you spec a game out in advance you never know what the real play value is going to be until you start playtesting and tuning.

All of this makes game development a very speculative and risky venture (one of the reasons game companies go under all of the time). Because of the sheer number of developers for the Xbox and the creative talent working on new games, there will be some killer games developed. Until then, enjoy the games that are out now. Most of them may not be "must haves" but they are VERY good.

batman46st
03-28-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Dude...Marc...first, take a chill pill. Secondly, keep in mind that the current XBox games are only first generation games...they were, most-likely developed before the final specs were finished on the XBox. Second and third generation XBox games will be AMAZING!!!

Do you honestly think that any of the games maximize the nVidia graphics card? I think you get my drift...just be patient, and you'll see, buddy! :)

Totaly agree with you max. See all of this games out right now where thrown out real quick to show us wat they can do on the xbox. im Impressed on a few graphicly and gameplay wise. As to some really need help i think of 1st wave of games we got right now for the xbox as demo games. Well reason being is that most programers where all working on a short dead line. We just all have tobe patient im seeing some good things already... I'm happy. Im sure the 2nd wave of games will please all u guys...just remember games like halo will come again. SONY AND NINTENDO ARE IN FOR A RUDE AWAKENING! Right max.!

JJaX
03-28-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by batman46st

Im sure the 2nd wave of games will please all u guys...just remember games like halo will come again.

Games like halo will be surpassed by far. One day were gonna be like "Dam we used to love this game!"

Ninja Scroll
03-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Bottom line, E3 will make believers out of the "still" non-Xbox believers.

Wow, one sentence is all it took,... wait a sec,.. now I have completed two sentences!:confused: .... DA'OH!:o

l Maximus l
03-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Games like halo will be surpassed by far. One day were gonna be like "Dam we used to love this game!"

Exactly! And, at this point, it's really hard to imagine! :eek:
I mean, Halo has to be the best game I have ever played...and I still play Halo as if I just got it! Pretty much, Halo and Rallisport have been occupying my time mostly...Rallisport certainly isn't a half assed game...it actually exceeded my expectations...Halo only met my expectations (well, the hype certainly didn't help!! :D )

Halo lived up to the Hype, and Rallisport Challenge exceeded the hype, in my opinion :)

But, both of these games are going to be surpassed....and the idea is mind blowing!! I mean, Halo only utilizes 45% of what the XBox is capable of! Think about that for a moment!!! :eek: :cool:

DZNUTZ
03-28-2002, 11:56 AM
yea yea yea...we all want MOOOOORE...its human nautre....we'll never be completley satisified. but i think xbox is having an excellent start w/ excellent games and they just keep on getting better and better. sure ps2 might have more games...but alot are crap and the good ones that are ported or redone are even better on xbox....and don't even get me started on GC's current selection.