PDA

View Full Version : stickers on games

azmodan
03-28-2002, 11:57 AM
hey does it like mess the xbox up if theres like a sticker on the top of the game disc cuz like theres a game shop that sells used games for $30 and thats like really cheap and they all work but they put stickers on the games with their name store and stuff i heard that it affects the laser but how can it cuz like the laser reads the bottom of the cd.. laterz

Crazy Joe
03-28-2002, 12:00 PM
ya, i don't see how it would affect it either.

JJaX
03-28-2002, 12:02 PM
If the sticker overlaps the edge of the disc there can be a problem and your xbox will make loud "clicking" sounds as the disc spins. Beware.........

OppiumNitrates
03-28-2002, 12:04 PM
it def would not effect the game

first- if it did do u think the store would put it on in the first place??
second- think of burnt CDs you can write on them with a marker, thats almost the same idea, only the sticker has a little thinkness too it

azmodan
03-28-2002, 12:06 PM
yeah wel it doesnt overlap the edges its not that big but the guy at the store said it woulda affect but i dont think he knows wtf hes talking about hmm maybe i should try it lol

DrUnKtAnK
03-28-2002, 12:46 PM
All the games that I've rented all have had stickers on top of the disc and i have had no problems playing them on the xbox...has JJAX stated - be careful, I seen a disc or 2 get stuck in a PS2 due to the sticker coming up and it jammed the tray not allowing the tray to open....

Crazy Joe
03-28-2002, 12:51 PM
if you're worried about it, and you bought the game, just take the sticker off

maneatingcow
03-28-2002, 12:56 PM
Gorth... those stickers are put their for a reason :)

They have the address + Location of the store where they were purchased, and help game stores that accept trade ins to tell if the game was legally purchased from the rental place.

If you try to pull those suckers off... you sometimes end up with a nice disc with no game on it :(

Frostberg
03-28-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by maneatingcow-XBA

They have the address + Location of the store where they were purchased, and help game stores that accept trade ins to tell if the game was legally purchased from the rental place.

If you try to pull those suckers off... you sometimes end up with a nice disc with no game on it :(

Yep, the Cow is right again! If you peel off the sticker, you will also be peeling off the data! As any computergeek would tell you, the data is grooved on the top side of the disc, and is read on the bottom through the protective plastic...so because the sticker is on the top, the stickyness of the sticker will cause the sticky sticker to unstick your data!

LynxFX
03-28-2002, 02:50 PM
There have been cases, at least with rented DVD's with stickers from places like Blockbuster where the DVD becomes unbalanced and can mess up your player.

Putting stickers on DVD's and Xbox games is the dumbest idea they have come up with yet. Actually I take that back, the dumbest idea was putting "Please Be Kind, Rewind" stickers on DVD's. One of my local shops does that.

Frostberg
03-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
There have been cases, at least with rented DVD's with stickers from places like Blockbuster where the DVD becomes unbalanced and can mess up your player.

Putting stickers on DVD's and Xbox games is the dumbest idea they have come up with yet. Actually I take that back, the dumbest idea was putting "Please Be Kind, Rewind" stickers on DVD's. One of my local shops does that.

yeah stickerts are pretty dumb to begin with...they do have your address on file if you try to steal it or something...and they lock up the games behind the counter...but the real question is, why cant we have instruction books??

Always remember to rewind your game!:D

LynxFX
03-28-2002, 04:59 PM
Yeah it used to be that most shops would at least give you a photocopy version of the instruction book. Now they don't even do that.

I hate renting.

Spike Minoda
03-29-2002, 02:08 AM
Stickers? On the game disc? That is completely unacceptable! joke anyway, if i had a sticker on my disc, i would leave it the hell alone. or i just would not put one on there in the first place:rolleyes:

GokuX
03-29-2002, 02:44 AM
The only problem with stickers is that they can affect disk reading. I've had this problem with the Blockbuster in my area. They put the huge sheet over which would be fine in itself but then they go and put a huge sticker with a magnetic strip on only one side of the disk. This makes it unbalanced and affected my Xbox in the following way: the FMV skipped during every cutscene even though the underside of the disk was completely free of scratches. I know it's the sticker because the only times I've had skipping FMV was when I had a game from Blockbuster. Yet like I mentioned before the disks were completely clean on the backside with no scratches. I've also seen the effects of an unbalanced CD sticker on my PC too. I had this Windows restore set that I made a while back. Well I had to use it since my computer whacked. When I made the disks I had a CD labeling kit. I only had two CD labels left so I cut one CD label in half and placed it on two separate disks while having a full sticker on the third restore CD. The stickers were all placed appropriately and were pre-cut to the proper size by the manufacturer so there was no overhang. Well, when I went to restore the first thing I noticed was that my CD-Rom sounded like a plane taking off when it was reading the first two disks, the third disk with the full label was ultra quiet. I didn't think anything of it at first. Ok so I proceed with the restore and half way through it failed because it couldn't find a file. I try again, it gets past the file it messed up on before but then fails on another. The sound is amazingly loud. I decided what the heck, I'll remove the stickers cuz maybe their screwing things up. I remove the two half stickers and I noticed that the plane was no longer taking off in my living room, it was so quiet now. All the files were read correctly off the CD and the restore worked. Ok long story but I think this helps to prove that stickers if not balanced properly can screw things up. So if your Blockbuster puts these huge stickers on one side over the so called "protective sheet" that they normally put on, then you might want to find a place where they don't put stickers on their disks or at least balance them.

Crazy Joe
03-29-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by maneatingcow-XBA

oops, sorry! I hope no one listened to dumb Gorth on this one and ruined something.

Snoopy7548
03-29-2002, 11:16 AM
my blockbuster now puts a long, black sticker on the bottom of the top of the cd, do u think that would cause problems, like making it spin incorrectly?

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 01:45 PM
I think i heard that the stickers make the disc's weight uneven makig the disc wobble while spinning . Thats how they don't work or are bad for your xbox if you see those stickers from blockbuster they dont hang over the edge of it.