Thread: Chance of Virus in XBox???

Default Chance of Virus in XBox???

On the front page of XBA there is a news item that talks about a USB device where XBOX owners will be able to connect online and retrieve other people's saved game data. For example, if you can't get by a certain level in a game, you could download someone else's finished work onto your memory card and then move on. Supposedly this will be set up like a KaZaA or Morpheus type database.

My question is... would it be possible for someone sick and twisted to modify their game file once it was loaded into the computer by adding a virus of some sort? This would then spread viruses into other people systems when they downloaded the levels they need. I am not at all interested in this new device coming out (if I want to beat a game, I'll do it myself), but I'm just curious considering the XBOX is basically a computer.
    Last edited by FlyBoy; 04-05-2002 at 10:23 AM.
    Official PILOT of XBA!

when ever someone hooks up to the internet and has a hard drive there is a possibility to get a virus!

I'd say it's possible but unlikely to happen from this source.

Right now, very little is known about the Xbox from a systems standpoint with the exception of legitimate development shops. That will eventually change.

Once some hackers with too much time and not enough skill to get a decent job learn enough about the system, I'm sure they'll target it. Then, any system without a decent firewall is at risk.

I'd say it's unlikely to get a virus from a saved data file since I'd assume that people will only be able to load files with specific extensions. Since your console won't treat them as executables, their impact upon your system will be dependent upon the game loading them.

aka DanieLudacris aka DL

Nah... How do you get a virus onto a xbox memory card?!?

fisrt off the only people capable of writing xbox an virus is someone who knows the assembly language of the COUSTOM chip in the box and the people who know this prob wont be spending thier time to write a virus, just to mess up the XboX community. .. . unless a PS2 fanboy got this info. . . so ya never know
    but prob not likely
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

it would take an intimate knowledge of hardware/firmware to create a really destructive virus. to date, the only people that have this knowledge is developers.
    Signatures are a boring reminder that everyone might have a personality.

dont you think if it was possible ms wouldnt release the option?

it would really destroy the xbox image to anyone who hasnt bought any new gen system

Windows XP comes with a built-in firewall. It wouldn't surprise me if the XBOX did the same.

Besides, it is easy and inexpensive to buy and install a router for Internet sharing. You are reasonably safe behind one of those.

This isn't talking about a firewall or anything... A firewall will do you no good if you put a floppy disk in from another computer that is infected with a virus (which is basically what this new device will do). My guess is that MS will have some kind of integrety checking on it to ensure that the file is truly a game file, but who knows the hackers may beat that too. My guess is that this device is being implemented partially for games like Ultima Online so that people can sell or trade items and stuff. I guess only time will tell though.
    Here's how bad I suck

Don't get a free IPOD - Hidden Content

old sig Made by professor_frink he is the sig man!
    http://hosting.reversedreality.com/user_images/jschelm/sig.jpg

Thread Information