Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan numbers from Microsoft, sort of...

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

Default Japan numbers from Microsoft, sort of...

MSNBC (microsoft - nbc joint venture) published some figures from sales of Xbox in Japan. Here's the article, most notable is that only 190, 092 units were sold in it's first 5-6 weeks. I'm not sure if this will affect us North American gamers too much, but it is of interest to know how our console fares overseas.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/734627.asp

TOKYO, April 5 — Microsoft Corp’s Xbox game console got off to a slow start in Japan, selling 190,092 units between its launch on February 22 and March 31, game magazine publisher Enterbrain Inc. said on Friday.

MICROSOFT WOULD NOT COMMENT on sales figures, but the Japan debut was marred by complaints from users that the console was scratching game discs and some stores halted sales temporarily.
    (MSNBC is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)

The U.S. software giant prepared 250,000 Xboxes for the Japan launch, each priced at 34,800 yen ($263), which is 5,000 yen more than Sony Corp’s PlayStation 2 and 9,800 yen more than Nintendo Co Ltd’s GameCube.

Hirokazu Hamamura, Enterbrain’s editor-in-chief, said the lack of attractive software titles, rather than the scratching issue, was the main problem for the product.

“They really need killer titles. Even if they cut the price of Xbox, I don’t think that would help,” Hamamura said at a seminar on the Japanese game industry.

Microsoft sold 1.5 million Xboxes in the United Sates in just six weeks after launching on November 15, but the company said in February that it did not expect to repeat such a strong start in Japan, a home turf of Sony and Nintendo.

As for GameCube, Enterbrain said Nintendo shipped 1.29 million units between its September 14 Japan debut and March 31, attracting both young and adult gamers.

During the business year to March 31, Sony sold 4.05 million units of its blockbuster PlayStation 2 console, helped by a price cut. Sony rolled out PlayStation 2 in March 2000 in Japan, selling 980,000 units in just three days.
    *edit* just spaced out the quote a bit for ease of reading
    Last edited by Crazy Joe; 04-07-2002 at 04:41 AM.

I personally dont think it's done that bad considering its:
    a)American
    b)more expensive than the others
    c)been treated unfairly by quite a few stores in Japan such as those that stopped selling them for no reason.

yeah...
    Oregon State

nobody has any thoughts on this, under 200,000 sold in over a month?

I think the japanese wanted to see more kung-fu or final fantasy type games on release. When they start coming out the numbers should go up nicely.
    what we need is ninjas!!!!!!!!!

Skarp

Xbox is made my Microsoft...an American company. Nintendo is not, do you see any connection there? Besides, the Japanese don't have room for xboxs in the apartments anyway. At least thats what some of them say.

There are a couple of reasons why Xbox got it's head put on a platter in Japan. 1. Games most of the Japanese just werent interested in 2. MS dismissed alot of claims of deffective units and basically called the whole thing a load of bunk. 3. MS was very reluctant to fix the faulty Xbox's because it would bring bad publicity. 4. MS was way to ****y, where did they get the idea that they ruled the console market? Bill Gate's wild claim that Nintendo would be dead in a year probebly didnt help them either, although I doubt the Japanese really cared about what Billy bob said.
    Ask me about alpacca herding!

Originally posted by NonFanboy
    There are a couple of reasons why Xbox got it's head put on a platter in Japan. 1. Games most of the Japanese just werent interested in 2. MS dismissed alot of claims of deffective units and basically called the whole thing a load of bunk. 3. MS was very reluctant to fix the faulty Xbox's because it would bring bad publicity. 4. MS was way to ****y, where did they get the idea that they ruled the console market? Bill Gate's wild claim that Nintendo would be dead in a year probebly didnt help them either, although I doubt the Japanese really cared about what Billy bob said.

Piece of advice: you need to change your screennick to GCFanboy. It suits you better.

Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Piece of advice: you need to change your screennick to GCFanboy. It suits you better.

Tell me what makes me a "GCfanboy"

Default Well this is my Opion of the whole thing

I just think Japan people or jelouse, but don't get me wrong but for history for consoles Japan Companys always came to the light and always had something a hit and now Microsoft is in it and is a American Company I just think they just can't face the truth that Americans can do a damn good job like they do, and they don't want to the point that the help of a American Company will make there little Nintendo Company go down with the help of Sony and Xbox did bad those weeks and I thought I heard they doing good now after Microsoft went and fixed the problems with the cd's and stuff.
    MARYLAND TERPS 2002 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

I tend to agree that software might have played a big part in its sale's numbers. It had DOA3 which convinced alot of the 190,000 to purchase the Xbox, but beyond that I wasn't seeing much that would make the Japanese consumer go wild. I think it's just gonna be a matter of time until they get more attractive games like someone else said. SSBM sure helped the GC sales, so perhaps the same effect could occur if a killer game geared toward Japanese gamers came out. There are some interesting thoughts in this thread so far.
    Last edited by GokuX; 04-09-2002 at 05:40 PM.

The Frew-its of the Devil

Lightbulb

This is why Xbox isn't doing well in Japan. Japanese people are as racest and biased as anyone, but when it comes to business, no one is more so. They figure anything made by and American company is crap. Plain and simple. If MS was a Japanese company and Xbox its game system (in its current form) the Japanese wouldn't care about its size or appearance. It is plain old racism with a bit of business bias. If you think thats a joke your sadly mistaken. They don't care that its too big, they just don't want it because it came from America. Most countries, even though they trade with us and are considered ally's, still hate us. It seems to be a running theme with most Governments and businesses of the world, hate the Americans.
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Originally posted by NonFanboy

Tell me what makes me a "GCfanboy"

Take a look at your #4 reason in the post I quoted.

Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Take a look at your #4 reason in the post I quoted.

And?

Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
    This is why Xbox isn't doing well in Japan. Japanese people are as racest and biased as anyone, but when it comes to business, no one is more so. They figure anything made by and American company is crap. Plain and simple. If MS was a Japanese company and Xbox its game system (in its current form) the Japanese wouldn't care about its size or appearance. It is plain old racism with a bit of business bias. If you think thats a joke your sadly mistaken. They don't care that its too big, they just don't want it because it came from America. Most countries, even though they trade with us and are considered ally's, still hate us. It seems to be a running theme with most Governments and businesses of the world, hate the Americans.
    Exactly. Someone besides me who actually realizes the TRUTH.
    Hidden Content
    who wants to play me...

Be carefull to not step into the bull**** everybody.

I can believe this, the Japanese have been the leaders in video gaming, well, forever and seeing the Americans infringe probably doesn't make them too happy. Alot of people in the US bought Xbox because it is the first American console to be truly competitive. For the same reason, the Japanese probably won't get into Xbox too much, simply because of national pride. "If it isn't japanese, I won't buy it" attitude. Alot of people in the US (and Canada) feel the same way about vehicles, they only buy North American cars or trucks.

I'm not american or japanese, here in europe were basically neutrals. But i'd have to say that american games are much much much more popular over here than most japanese games. Japanese gamers have very different tastes compared to US and European gamers, this is why i feel that the xbox won't do that well in japan but in europe it will kick ass (once they lower the price a bit).

Originally posted by UnitedKingdom
    I'm not american or japanese, here in europe were basically neutrals. But i'd have to say that american games are much much much more popular over here than most japanese games. Japanese gamers have very different tastes compared to US and European gamers, this is why i feel that the xbox won't do that well in japan but in europe it will kick ass (once they lower the price a bit).
    I agree mate, look at the games that where released with the XBOX.
    I hope that Halo gets them into FPS it will be a first of many if it succeeds, I'm into RPG games with started over here in the Western world and not in Japan so they maybe there is a chance, lets wait and see

What price do you want to pay for your XBOX it's losing money already, I feel it will go down in price just before Christmas maybe £249.99

Originally posted by Afro Aura
    I'm into RPG games with started over here in the Western world and not in Japan so they maybe there is a chance, lets wait and see
    what RPG games are you into that started over here, all the ones i can think of that i really liked are from Japan.

Thread Information