There has been much debate about this subject and first I'd like to state that I am hopeful the game does make it to the Box,but I don't think it will. I hope the coming months prove me wrong.

The common argument everyone seems to be buying into (myself included until very recently)is that due to Square's finacial woes, it won't be able to recoup costs of releasing a game that costs players approximately 300$ to play unless they make it available to a wider audience, especially the Box as it has both a modem and a hard drive and would theoretically sell more copies per unit.

And as everyone has pointed out, Sony does own a sizeable chunk of Square. While this doesn't mean Sony owns enough to stop square from releasing games for rival systems (I'm not privvy to the specifics of their current arrangement ), the argument has been made that due to Square tremendous losses last year, sony would have no choice but to let them recoup losses even if it means FF for another system.

This argument is fine and well, but I don't believe FF is headed for the box and here's why: When new hardware is introduced it needs a killer app to get people to buy it. Can anyone name another major online game for sony's play online? Let's see, they'll probabley put Unreal on there and uh... Yep, Sony is banking on FF online to move the costly modems and harddrives.

Seeing as this game is so important, it is entirely likely that Sony bankrolled it itself or intends to subsidize Square for low sell through, thereby controlling its fate. I just can't see this game leaving sony's grasp when it is the key player in sony's plans. It'd be like Nintendo letting Mario go to Xbox or PS2.