Thread: Help with TV, receiver, xbox, etc, setup

Skarp

Default Help with TV, receiver, xbox, etc, setup

I am finally moving out of my dorm room into an apartment and I am interested in purchasing some sort of home theatre system that will work with my xbox. But since Im not too updated on what would be good, Im asking all you xbox addicts out there what is needed.

TV: I don't know if I can afford a HDTV but is it worth buying a television with the S-Video jack for improved graphics. Does utilizing this S-Video make a difference? And would a HDTV be worth its money?

Sound: I honestly don't know much about receivers so Im hoping some of you can help me out on this one. What in general do receivers do? Do I need one that supports dolby digital? 5.1? or what.

Other than buying speakers for the receiver, what else is needed to take advantage of all the xbox's capabilities.

On the recievers if ya going to watch DVD's get one that supports DD 5.1 and DTS (DTS is a better sound if you hook it up with fibre optics)

Also getting a "sprectrum" system is better than an all in one combo system. (seperate amp, etc....)

100 Watt or above, at least a 150 Watt reciever

Subwoofer is a must

S-Video is a better picture than using the standard RCA jacks, Scart (RGB) is better again

Receivers (AV Audio Video) good ones let you plug a whole heap of stuff into 'em mine can support a DVD player, VCR, Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, CD Player all at once and I just turn a dial to select the one I want to use (all hooked with fibre optics 'cept the VCR)

Hugh_Jass and LynxFX would be good people to talk to they have awsome setups using DLP front projection units

You will really p!ss-off your neighbors if you buy a subwoofer. If you have a ground-floor corner apartment you MIGHT be able to get away with it.

S-Video is pretty standard. Only the cheapest of the cheap TVs don't have them. Any TV without S-Video is a waste of money, IMHO. Component video (NOT COMPOSITE) is a better choice, but perhaps out of your price range. I've never seen a SCART TV in the U.S., but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Component is better than SCART anyway.

DD/DTS receivers can be really inexpensive these days. You definitely want one. Make sure it has at least one TOSLINK (optical) audio input. Discrete six-channel analog (RCA) input would be nice if you ever want to move up to DVD-Audio but the XBOX won't use this connection.

The power required for your receiver depends a lot on your room size. Take the number of square feet and multiple that number by 1.5 and divide that number by six. That is a rough estimate of the target Watts per channel. This isn't a hard and fast rule. I just made it up, but I think it's a decent guideline.

If your TV doesn't have enough video inputs for your gear make sure to buy a receiver that switches video. Either that, or plan to buy an external video switch box.

I would concentrate on a good receiver,make sure you have at least 1 if not 2 Toslink (Optical), plenty of available jacks, if you can get one that you can run your entire system through it will make you happy...not as expensive as you think.

I would stay away from "Package" systems. MO.

TV, minimum S-Video, go component if you can. If your thinking Big Screen and can't afford HDTV, I would recomend Toshiba, I have a 50" Theatreview, and i know about the "Burning" issue. I contacted Toshiba and they say it's not recomended, but it would take a static image about a week to burn into your screen, if your that hard core avoid it.

Sound, like Hugh_Jass said, you may want to think about your apartment location. But a Sub is a must have, IMO.

My only other recomendation is to use quality cables throughout your system, i'm a big fan of Monster cables have used them for years, but there are plenty of other quality cables available.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
    You will really p!ss-off your neighbors if you buy a subwoofer. If you have a ground-floor corner apartment you MIGHT be able to get away with it.
    Oh, come on, its a college dorm room (I assume) Just so long as he doesn't crank the subwoofer after 3 in the morning it should be cool. At least that was the general rule when I was in the dorms...

editied because I just realized that he explicitly said in his original post that he was moving into an apt... Stupid allergy medication is kicking my butt across the state and back.
    Last edited by Kraft; 04-18-2002 at 10:44 AM.

Skarp

thanks for all the help. Im considering buying a 36' toshiba with compenent video and s-video. For that would I buy the 4 jack monster cable or the 5 jack. And to hook up the DTS or 5.1 do I need to purchase another cable for the xbox?
    And one more question, are receivers customable? For example if I have a tv, dvd player, etc.. hooked up to my receiver, can I make it say "tv" and "dvd player" etc change inputs?

Posted by Skarp
    And one more question, are receivers customable? For example if I have a tv, dvd player, etc.. hooked up to my receiver, can I make it say "tv" and "dvd player" etc change inputs?
    Some amps may allow you to do that but the majority will display Video 1, Video 2, Video 3, CD/DVD, 6CH DVD, AUX 1, AUX 2 or something along those lines (there the displays that mine have).

One question, what is your budget?

That affects everything.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

man I wish I would have asked the same thing when I bought my
    surround sound. Not that mine sux or any thing but I didn't buy
    one with the fiber optics thingy. Mine supports DD5.1 but I need
    some kind of an adapter I think it's called a Dolby Digital decoder
    mine does'nt have it. If any body could tell me alittle about it I
    would be grateful....
    I need fable, NOW!!! Hidden Content

Thread Information