Friday, April 19, 2002

XboxMods - Clarification - SiliconIce @ 17:09 CST
On their page:

OK let's clear up a few things

We want to make it very clear that this development enables the playback of IMPORT ORIGINALS ONLY. It in no way enables to play any kind of illegal copies. We have no wish to venture into this area so please do not ask.

There is no modchip at present. The instructions on which area of the flash rom to patch were given to us by an overseas enthusiast who simply wanted to see if his ideas were correct. We implemented his ideas and they worked. Test machine was a USA console playing Max Payne PAL, and a PAL console playing HALO NTSC.

We will investigate the legality of this modification. If there is a legitimate purpose then we will of course proceed with designing a "DIY" mod where you can install for yourselves with just a few wires. If our lawyer advises that it is indeed illegal then we will not proceed any further.

Our view is that there are thousands of Europeans who invested a lot of their hard earned money to purchase an XBOX from the USA when it was first released. Members of our staff were among these excited gamers who wanted to get their hands on the machine. Now the XBOX is available in Europe is it fair to say that they would have the right to buy games from their local store as opposed to paying expensive import prices or having to sell their console at a loss and buy a new one ?

Either way we see this as an exciting development for both Gamers and Microsoft alike. I'm sure it would increase their sales for both games and consoles, and along the way making the lives of their customers that much easier.

So for now there is nothing for sale, no news on a DIY mod and certainley no information on any kind of pirate chip that people have been discussing.

I hope this clarifies everything for you.

This seems like good info to me. It fits with what I know from others who have been working independently.

Source: XboxMods