Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How cracking the Xbox can be a positive thing.

Thumbs up How cracking the Xbox can be a positive thing.

Sorry for another thread about this but this one is going in a different direction. This is not for more "Piracy is bad and will kill the Xbox...I'll go and hunt every pirate down ...yada....hate....yada" posts. This thread has nothing to do with pirating or Xbox games.

This is about how this new info on cracking the Xbox can be useful to everyone and make the Xbox better.
    For one, this has now paved the way to make bootable discs that can install new programs. Programs like:
    MP3 players (many people here have asked if the Xbox could play MP3's and maybe after this, they can)
    DiVX players
    VCD players
    Linux tools
    Web browsers
    Emulators

Maybe they could unlock region coding to make the Xbox a region free player. I personally would love that since there are many Region 2 and Region 4 dvds that aren't coming to Region 1 in a long time that I really want.

They may also be able to unlock progressive scan dvd playback maybe even with a variable set resolution so you can scale it to 1080i.

All this stuff is very promising and could make the Xbox gain an even larger fan base.

Sure this would open up issues with viruses but personally I've downloaed alot of stuff over the past 10 years and never once downloaded a virus.

There are so many things that the Xbox could be able to do and cracking it was the first step. Reguardless if you are a hardcore advocate against piracy, there is a silver lining to this weeks new discoveries in hacking the Black the Green.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Those are some very good points Lynx. I will pass them down to other people.
    Hidden Content
    who wants to play me...

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I guess that is a postive way to look at it, Lynxfx...but, can't you do most of that stuff on your computer anyway?

Also, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable messing with the XBox and making it do something that it was not intended to do. I don't know...that's just me

What a ridiculous notion. Did someone say that this will only help increase sales of the Xbox? Yeah, unfortunately it will.

Console sales will skyrocket, and software sales will plummet. Microsoft LOSES money on each console sold, and will lose even MORE after they drop the retail price in a few weeks.

What kind of nitwit do you have to be to think that software piracy is a GOOD thing?

Gimme a friggin' break.

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

i'm with max,van and motoko on this one

Ok, just to clear things up. This isn't about software piracy. I was trying to steer this thread away from that. So leave the nitwit comments on the threads about that. :P

But the fact is that it has been done and there is nothing anyone can do about that, not even MS. So let's deal with it and think of ways that this can actually make the Xbox better, just like it made the DC better in similar retrospecs.

I for one would love the region free dvd playing. What if they created a DC emulator and you could play DC games?

Max, you are right. I could do all those things on a pc, but I can also play games. So why would I need an Xbox at all? besides the fact that it IS the best gaming console to ever surface I also agree that I would be nervous messing with my Xbox. But I'm sure if it was pretty easy and proven then I would do it.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    Ok, just to clear things up. This isn't about software piracy. I was trying to steer this thread away from that. So leave the nitwit comments on the threads about that. :P

But the fact is that it has been done and there is nothing anyone can do about that, not even MS. So let's deal with it and think of ways that this can actually make the Xbox better, just like it made the DC better in similar retrospecs.

I for one would love the region free dvd playing. What if they created a DC emulator and you could play DC games?

Max, you are right. I could do all those things on a pc, but I can also play games. So why would I need an Xbox at all? besides the fact that it IS the best gaming console to ever surface I also agree that I would be nervous messing with my Xbox. But I'm sure if it was pretty easy and proven then I would do it.
    I see your point...I always like to focus on the positive as well hehe...

I am also confused about how the piracy issue came up on this thread since you were adamentaly clear that this wasn't a piracy thread! lol

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Default Re: How cracking the Xbox can be a positive thing.

Sorry for another thread about this but this one is going in a different direction. This is not for more "Piracy is bad and will kill the Xbox...I'll go and hunt every pirate down ...yada....hate....yada" posts. This thread has nothing to do with pirating or Xbox games.

This is about how this new info on cracking the Xbox can be useful to everyone and make the Xbox better.
    For one, this has now paved the way to make bootable discs that can install new programs. Programs like:
    MP3 players (many people here have asked if the Xbox could play MP3's and maybe after this, they can)
    DiVX players
    VCD players
    Linux tools
    Web browsers
    Emulators

Maybe they could unlock region coding to make the Xbox a region free player. I personally would love that since there are many Region 2 and Region 4 dvds that aren't coming to Region 1 in a long time that I really want.

They may also be able to unlock progressive scan dvd playback maybe even with a variable set resolution so you can scale it to 1080i.

All this stuff is very promising and could make the Xbox gain an even larger fan base.

Sure this would open up issues with viruses but personally I've downloaed alot of stuff over the past 10 years and never once downloaded a virus.

There are so many things that the Xbox could be able to do and cracking it was the first step. Reguardless if you are a hardcore advocate against piracy, there is a silver lining to this weeks new discoveries in hacking the Black the Green.
    Then wouldnt XBOX games not make money???????????????
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

I'm all for a buch of cool XBOX software, but piracy drives up prices and that my friends blows hard!:o

beeswax not yours inc. silvertrace's Avatar

the fact that ps1 & 2 werent directly hurt by piracy was they were established systems.........xbox on the other has only had 6 months to gain a following...........

also, anyone else think its weird that xbox is gonna lower its prices the same time that those hacker vids came out?????

*silvertrace pumps his fist in the air screaming "DAMN THE MAN!!!!!"
    gone but not forgotten.....

Originally posted by Maximus

I see your point...I always like to focus on the positive as well hehe...

I am also confused about how the piracy issue came up on this thread since you were adamentaly clear that this wasn't a piracy thread! lol
    Yeah I figured it would happen, just not so quick. Oh well.

I'm just trying to find a reason to buy the DVD playback kit. I don't have a progressive player (stand alone) and for $30 I would jump on it in a heartbeat if that does get cracked or even regionfree.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Yeah I figured it would happen, just not so quick. Oh well.

I'm just trying to find a reason to buy the DVD playback kit. I don't have a progressive player (stand alone) and for $30 I would jump on it in a heartbeat if that does get cracked or even regionfree.
    Oh! Gotcha! I didn't know what you meant by "Region Free" hehe...okay, I'm with you now!

I have the DVD Playback kit since I don't own a DVD Player. My wife and I have watched almost 10 movies and she loves it on the new 50" HDTV One thing is really cool about my lady, she can care less if the XBox lacks progressive scan! hehe...she probably doesn't have a clue what it is

Originally posted by HaVoK
    I'm all for a buch of cool XBOX software, but piracy drives up prices and that my friends blows hard!:o
    I agree and disagree. I don't think we have to worry about Xbox games debuting higher than $50. That seems to be the standard for new releases on consoles now.

The reason I disagree is that PC games are without a doubt the largest pirated platform and the games are still in the same price bracket they were years ago. It may affect the price on certain software titles but I don't think it does as much as you think it does or we would all be paying $80 for every new release.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Maximus

Oh! Gotcha! I didn't know what you meant by "Region Free" hehe...okay, I'm with you now!

I have the DVD Playback kit since I don't own a DVD Player. My wife and I have watched almost 10 movies and she loves it on the new 50" HDTV One thing is really cool about my lady, she can care less if the XBox lacks progressive scan! hehe...she probably doesn't have a clue what it is
    Wait till she sees DVD playback on your HDTV in progressive scan mode. I have a feeling she would see the difference.
    ---Hidden Content ---

Wait till she sees DVD playback on your HDTV in progressive scan mode. I have a feeling she would see the difference.
    I know, man...I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a new DVD player! I real one! If I bring things like this up for her, she says "put it on the list" and then smiles and goes back to what she was doing hehe

Of course, my "list" rarely has things scratched off!!! lol

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Whats scan mode????????
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

even if the prices going up isn't somthing to worry about, the possibility of microsoft losing money becase of piracy is.

Originally posted by faceoff508

Whats scan mode????????
    Here is a good explanation.

Havok,
    MS does deal with piracy everyday with their products like MS office and Windows. But this is alot bigger than video game piracy and they lose out on alot more as well.

It might hurt some for them, but nothing that is going to affect their stock.

Now the 3rd party game developers or game publishers might take a bigger hit if piracy became a big issue but I still don't see that happening either. Not that it couldn't. Ok, that is the last I talk about piracy in this thread.
    ---Hidden Content ---

When I got my Xbox it had occurred to me that once people figured out how to make their own bootable discs, it wouldn't be long before the Xbox became the ultimate DivX player... I mean, they turned the Dreamcast into a DivX player... even though it's pretty crappy due to the restrictions of the Dreamcast's hardware... that's still pretty dang amazing. The Dreamcast only has a 200MHz CPU... the Xbox has a 733MHz CPU (which exceeds the required speed for a computer, without having to worry about an OS)... and a hard drive for caching and whatnot. DivX on a standard television can look DVD-quality.

But then again, they'll probably have DivX playback support in DVD players by then... I can just imagine the lawsuits haha.
    UltraMuffin - Nature's Cruelest Mistake
    Hidden Content

Yeah, I understand the point that the mods could lead to more applications, even if they wind up being "underground". But I still respectfully disagree with Lynx. The "open" moding just is not a good idea.

Moding, and the associated piracy is a serious problem, and while in general it manifests itself in different ways, the impact on the gaming public is bad. Lynx cites the PC, and the serious (and everyday) piracy issues associated, and states that the piracy/copying has not killed PC games. But have you noticed the decrease in PC titles and profitability? The developers have really noticed that they get more return on investment on console games than PC games, and I really, really think that is in part due to piracy. Now piracy doesn't kill the PS2 because of the huge installed base, but we would have a much greater, and better range of games if the piracy had not occurred.

I wish there was some legal way for Microsoft to hack back, and take down, damage, or otherwise infect the "First Ammendment" software copies available on the web for free. I just don't see how that could be legal though, and they have enough legal problems as it is.

Thread Information