Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox at $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Xbox at $199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday May 9, 2002 | hardcore_pawn

Xbox - Price Slash
    By Todd Mowatt

With the Electronic Entertainment Expo two weeks out, Microsoft let the proverbial cat out of the bag earlier this week, indicating to retailers and analysts that the company will soon slash the U.S. price of the Xbox console to $199.

The price drop is expected to take effect on May 23, right in the middle of E3.

“The price drop for the Xbox isn’t going to be a shock to anyone in the industry,” said Edward Williams an analyst with Gerard Klauer Mattison. “Sales of the Xbox have slowed in March and April and retailers are becoming more vocal for the need for a price cut.”

Two other analysts, who asked to remain anonymous, confirmed the time frame based on the Microsoft conference call.

Williams said the expected Xbox price cut will cause a ripple effect at Sony, who will also lower the price of its PlayStation 2 console system.

“It’s not a slam dunk for Sony to follow right away with a price cut. But they are also under growing pressure from retailers to follow Microsoft’s lead to $199.99,” Williams said. An announcement from Sony could come as early as May 21, to coincide with a planned media event that morning.

Historically, a $100 price drop from $299 to $199 is not unheard of. Sony did exactly that for the original PlayStation console system, when it faced competition from the Nintendo 64 system.

“Dropping the price to $249 doesn’t do much for you; it wouldn’t give either Microsoft or Sony the incremental sales boost that $199 does,” Williams said.

The reason for the price drop now, Williams said, is that there are no big titles being released this time of year to boost hardware sales. The timing, then, is ripe for a price drop to create some activity at retail.

Williams said the price cuts shouldn’t be construed as ill-health in the interactive entertainment industry.

There were five times more systems sold at $299 during the PlayStation 2 and Xbox hardware cycles than there were during the last (PlayStation/Nintendo 64) hardware cycle. The adoptive rate for software is also 3.5 times greater.

The price cuts also make sense considering that Microsoft announced price cuts in Europe and Australia on April 26. Just yesterday, Microsoft was announcing a sales surge in Europe because of the price cut, with a corresponding increase in software sales.

Microsoft and Sony representatives had no comment about the expected cuts, but it’s clear that both companies are looking to make a splash at E3.

Retailers and the media have already seen most of the games, so Microsoft and Sony will be vying for mind share and battle each other with announcements and press releases. Beyond the price cuts, both companies are expected to reveal more about their plans for `online console gaming.

www.gamespydaily.com/news...sp?id=3403
    Elia Dushku is soooo HOT!!!

I think everyone who bought the damn system in November should get a 100 rebate..

Whos with me?

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Originally posted by JJaX
    I think everyone who bought the damn system in November should get a 100 rebate..

Whos with me?
    I agree, or at least two free games!!
    Last edited by faceoff508; 05-09-2002 at 03:23 PM.
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

yeah man its only fair. i paid $500 for my xbox, dvd kit, memory card, controller and 2 games. I want some free games, i dont care if its crappy games i want something. This rebate thing should show that microsoft doesnt want anyone to feel like they got screwed over.

Yeah, WHERE'S MY LOYALTY PACKAGE?? If Europeans got a loyalty package after the price cut, us people who've been there from the beginning should get two free games as well. If not, oh well, won't bother me too much....
    Games Currently Playing:
    Halo, PGR, Spiderman

Games Anticipating:
    MORROWIND!!!!!, Ghost Recon, Star Wars, Knight of the Republic

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

something would be nice, but don't hold your breath...their was a pretty big thread about this. guess we'll have to wait and see.

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

why would we get $100 rebate, or even 2 free games, we have had the system for 6 MONTHS, the Europeans had it for A MONTH when their price dropped. I can see maybe one free game, but not being reimbursed the full value of the price cut.

Originally posted by Gortholomew
    why would we get $100 rebate, or even 2 free games, we have had the system for 6 MONTHS, the Europeans had it for A MONTH when their price dropped. I can see maybe one free game, but not being reimbursed the full value of the price cut.
    I agree. Six Months is a long time to offer a loyatly rebate. It would be nice to have but i seriously doubt that ms will offer anything.
    Currently playing: Tony Hawk 3

beeswax not yours inc. silvertrace's Avatar

someone mentioned it b4, but i'll say it again..........

they out to give us 3 free months of xboxlive if we can prove we purchased out xbox before this year started, maybe show them a receipt to prove the purchase date................i'm not lookin for anything great......i just want my piece of the pie..........
    gone but not forgotten.....

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

i actually think i came up with a good idea....if they don't do any free games or the the xbox live idea...how about they issue like a lil book ...that consists of maybe 5-10 of $10.00 off xbox (or even MS titles) games. that way..both us the consumers and them get something they please their audience....while still being able to make money!

Portable Mammogramist™ DrUnKtAnK's Avatar

Originally posted by JJaX

Whos with me?
    I'am right behind you

beeswax not yours inc. silvertrace's Avatar

Originally posted by DZNUTZ
    i actually think i came up with a good idea....if they don't do any free games or the the xbox live idea...how about they issue like a lil book ...that consists of maybe 5-10 of $10.00 off xbox (or even MS titles) games. that way..both us the consumers and them get something they please their audience....while still being able to make money!
    *silver lifts DZNUTZ on his shoulders and carries him into the sunset...............

superb idea.........

wish i'd thought of it
    gone but not forgotten.....

Yeah and I want $500 back for the computer I bought 6 months ago, and $5,000 for the car I bought last year.

We all knew that it would go down in price. Everything does. When you adopt early you always pay the premium but I think the 6 months of gaming should be payment enough.

It would be nice if they threw in a subscription to OXM or maybe a free month on Xbox Live though.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

The Frew-its of the Devil

I've only had my Xbox for two months and I don't think I deserve a rebate. Hell I think anyone who pays 200 for an Xbox is a crook. N E one not willing to pay a MEASLY 300 bucks for an Xbox is sad. Hell I spend more than that on my computer every two weeks. Any one who owns a PS2 and paid 300 for it and is going to wait until the price drop to get an Xbox is nothing short of a bastard ass theif. I paid 300 dollars for my Xbox and about 500 bucks on all the games I bought, and I know for a fact that it was worth every penny. From the people who make the hardware and games to the people who distribute them, they are all deserving of my money (except the ****s who made New Legends, damn that game sucks ass). If the price must drop to save the system then so be it. What ever it takes to make the greatest system made thus far a house hold name is fine by me, but I'm not one who believe's he's been cheated by the new price drop. If they give away stuff fine, if not, I have so many games (only 2 of which I've thus far finalized in their entirity) that I don't even have time to play em all. And I've only had my Xbox for two bloody months. Took me like 3 months or so to find anything worth my money on PoS2 it's pathetic. N E way, I don't think any of you guys should feel cheated. I think the PoS2 only owners should feel cheated, hell they cheated themselves out of a good game experiance for the last 6 months. Too bad for them.
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Originally posted by faceoff508

I agree, or at least two free games!!
    Im right with u on that one. Or maybe a free year (or $100 value)of the new xbox online.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I'm not holding my breath for any freebies because of the price drop. Like I said in the other post, I'm just happy to have owned this console 6 months before many other people has The return that I have, personally, received exceeds $100 EASILY!! And, quite honestly, I have saved far more than $100 in the past 6 months because I probabl would have gone out to bars or taverns and other places instead

But, I really think that DZNUTZ's idea would be a classy move by Microsoft. An XBox coupon book! Sweet! I also wouldn't mind getting the first several months of XBox Live at no expense. If you ask me, that would also be an intelligent move because it would kick off XBox Live in a huge way and recruit hundreds and thousands of gamers! Because, we all know that an on-line network is only successful if there are gamers on it. This would be a strategic move for Microsoft's endeavor, I think

stang patiently looks for his receit hoping to get some free xbox stuff in the upcoming weeks

wow... I didn't expect the price to drop so soon!
    Play your damn games!
    Hidden Content

i dont think I have my reciept anymore... Oh well, I will check again if we get anything but if not Im not cryin... i got at least 100 dollars worth of gaming over the past 6 months:

Registered User MageOfTheMatrix's Avatar

How about a free Halo Online game once it's released with XOL? All those with the original (non game of the year) Halo would get it, which would be pretty much everybody who got an xbox in the last 6 months.

Seriously, I don't think we're getting anything. In Europe it was sort of like what many stores do. If someting goes on sale within a month just bring the receipt and get the difference back.

What would be nice is getting some of the games promised last year. By now I was supposed to be playing Brute Force online.

Oh well.

Anybody want to buy a PS2 for $250(suckers (am I typing out loud))? I should try to sell it on ebay this weekend. After that there won't be a point.

Thread Information