Thread: New Cat-5 Patch Cable

Default New Cat-5 Patch Cable

Hi guys, recently, my 85 ft cat-5 patch cable has stopped working. Thus, I have not been able to play my XBox online! I need a new one. I spent $35 on my first one (got it at a mom and pop pc store) and I don't want to make the same mistake twice! Does anybody know where I can get a 60-100 ft Cat-5 patch cable for dirt cheap? Thanks guys!

I'm not sure how dirt cheap you are trying to get, but I found a 100' Belkin for about $22.

Link

Also found a 100' cable for $9.99

Link

Edit - Sorry. I put the wrong link on the second one. Corrected now.
    Last edited by SkoalMint; 05-14-2002 at 05:47 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by SkoalMint
    I'm not sure how dirt cheap you are trying to get, but I found a 100' Belkin for about $22.

Link

Also found a 100' cable for $9.99

Link
    It's examples like this that seperates this amazing site from the rest of XBox sites. Two thumbs up for SkoalMint

They are both $22

But is it possible you could find one a little shorter?

Here's a goosd tip on saving money,IF u have a network card DONT buy a hub,GET a official xbox link cable and connect it to ur xbox and ur computer,than...YOUR SET!!!! it should detect your xbox that's how i play my xbox online saved me...20$=50$...thats some serious money

something that I think can be even cheaper than the hub/router solution is the double network interface card (NIC) solution. You can find some 10 Mbps NIC's for like 10$ if you look enough. This is the setup I have at home and it works perfectly. You don't even need a 10/100Mbps NIC since your internet connection is more than likely <10Mbps. I have cable internet and its ~ 3Mbps.

If you need help on how to make this setup work, pm or email me.

Cheers
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

i got a 10/100 mb nic card works fine perfect!!

Errr, why don't you take the cable back to the place you bought it and have them fix/recrimp it? If that doesn't work how 'bout having mom or dad ask the IT guy at work? Or for that matter, you might be able to get it done at the computer lab at school?

All I know is if someone came to me looking for a patch cable I'd hand 'em one. If they said it was for their xbox, I'd make 'em one almost any lenght as long as I could stop by to 'install' it.

dude, go to http://www.gocables.com they have the cheapest cables. you can specify the length u need, and also the color. i got like a 45 ft cable from them for like 15 bucks (that price includes shipping). it is very cheap, and i would highly recommend them, the shipping is also pretty fast

Talking The IT guy is right here

Originally posted by Rowdie
    Errr, why don't you take the cable back to the place you bought it and have them fix/recrimp it? If that doesn't work how 'bout having mom or dad ask the IT guy at work? Or for that matter, you might be able to get it done at the computer lab at school?

All I know is if someone came to me looking for a patch cable I'd hand 'em one. If they said it was for their xbox, I'd make 'em one almost any lenght as long as I could stop by to 'install' it.

Yeah, I would do that for anyone anyways, ESPECIALLY if it was for someone's box. I am lucky enough to be a network tech, so I have an unlimited length of CAT 5E (the new style that is being released - not for another few months though).

I haven't heard about any kind of XBOX system lynk, I was always under the impression that you had to setup your machine as a dedicated server. If anyone wants to help this newbie out, PM me, and maybe I can give some tech advice from my end.

Peace.

Thanks alot snoopy! I will do ahead and order the cable tonight!

Originally posted by Xtopia
    They are both $22

But is it possible you could find one a little shorter?
    Sorry about that. I put the wrong link on the second one. It is fixed now.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

Default Re: The IT guy is right here

Originally posted by casper

Yeah, I would do that for anyone anyways, ESPECIALLY if it was for someone's box. I am lucky enough to be a network tech, so I have an unlimited length of CAT 5E (the new style that is being released - not for another few months though).

I haven't heard about any kind of XBOX system lynk, I was always under the impression that you had to setup your machine as a dedicated server. If anyone wants to help this newbie out, PM me, and maybe I can give some tech advice from my end.

Peace.
    yeah, I handle the vast majority of IT also. While the office isn't huge, think a bit over 50 folks, we have an ammazing collection of platforms from Mac to Unix, and of course tons of MS OSes. No XP or OSX yet... those are at home

Anyway, the system link cable I believe is simply a cross over cable. So now you know to make a crossover if your going xbox to xbox.

I find it odd, first off that a cable suddenly stopped working. Secondly that he didn't go right back to mom and pop store and have them fix it, at least test it to confirm it's in fact the problem. Poor guys is now wasting a twenty spot and he thinks he's getting good advice.

I can't believe people don't ask their IT guy for this kind of stuff. Shoot I give away whole computers. I got an iMac dv, nic not functioning, that someone can just have, and another guy just got a PIII 600. Normally the PIII would have gone somewhere, but he's kind of a special case.

Have fun in IT, keep making them send you to classes! It should be a standard part of your salary negotiation. Plus there's usually one hot girl per class, and as the rest of the guys are always white pasty out of shape geeks you should have a good shot even the though the hotdogs to buns ratio is aweful

Talking

LoL, I know what you mean about the ratio at class - sausage parties aren't my cup of tea. But the job does pay for all my certs (I'm taking my CCNA next week actually), plus I just got a 21" monitor for my docking station. Life doesn't get any better than this.

But for the kid with the busted patch cable, go to a college or high school near by, and find the IT dept. Ask one of the techs if they can do something for you, I bet that it was just wired wrong or something. But they should hook you up, we dig doing stuff like that (most of us anyways).

Later

Originally posted by casper
    LoL, I know what you mean about the ratio at class - sausage parties aren't my cup of tea. But the job does pay for all my certs (I'm taking my CCNA next week actually), plus I just got a 21" monitor for my docking station. Life doesn't get any better than this.

But for the kid with the busted patch cable, go to a college or high school near by, and find the IT dept. Ask one of the techs if they can do something for you, I bet that it was just wired wrong or something. But they should hook you up, we dig doing stuff like that (most of us anyways).

Later
    CCNA? Cisco Certified Network A... azzhole? administrator? Am I way off?

I haven't taken any of the cisco classes, but I have f'ed around with their lil switch programing language. I figure if I ever have to go get another job I should be able to knock that lil part out in short order.

I went ahead and got my mcse, mostly to threaten my current employer. It worked, they have seen the light, now I get loads of payed vaca, a much more relaxed work enviroment, and if I want to take a new class it's all good.

I would have gone back to the "Mom and Pop" PC shop....but they don't warranty their products for 4 months. Ya, I would have if I just bought it...and then it broke. But I have been using it for like 4 months.
    So, I am going to order it from the link provided by SkoalMint, becuase the offer a life time warranty!

Originally posted by Xtopia
    I would have gone back to the "Mom and Pop" PC shop....but they don't warranty their products for 4 months. Ya, I would have if I just bought it...and then it broke. But I have been using it for like 4 months.
    So, I am going to order it from the link provided by SkoalMint, becuase the offer a life time warranty!
    There tend to be two types of mapa stores. One that are run by smart people and last, and those that are run by idiots/azzholes and go out of bussiness in short order. I still say you should take the cable back there and at least get them to test it. Cables generally just don't suddenly go bad.

Shoot you already have the cable, you should at least take a second to see of some nice IT guy at work/school/where ever will put some new ends on it for ya.

You live near Clearwater, Fl? I'll put some new ends on it for you.

Thread Information