Thread: Games rather then consoles?

Default Games rather then consoles?

Make of it what u will. If it’s true then GC owners will be put out. Sounds like they are not taking the cube online and just concentrating on the games… they may take the same road as Sega…….
    Anyways have a read

Nintendo to focus on games rather than consoles

TOKYO (AP) — Nintendo plans to expand its share of the video game market by focusing on making better games rather than on building increasingly powerful game players, its new president said Thursday.

The Kyoto-based game maker that brought the world Pokemon and Super Mario must take a new and distinctive approach as an entertainment company to compete with rivals Sony and Microsoft, said Satoru Iwata, who took his post last week.

"We can't be optimistic about the game market. No matter what great product you come up with, people get bored," he said, referring to game players at a meeting with analysts at a Tokyo hotel. "I feel like a chef cooking for a king who's full."

Sony's PlayStation 2 machine has been leading the pack with 30 million sold worldwide in the three-way game war that also includes the Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft Xbox.

Nintendo has shipped about 4 million GameCube machines, while Microsoft is expecting to ship 3.5 million to 4 million Xbox consoles by the end of June. All three makers have slashed machine prices recently to woo game fans around the world.

Iwata, a 42-year-old game software developer who joined Nintendo two years ago, said selling a game console is totally different from selling, say, a washing machine.

People won't imagine buying another washing machine unless it breaks down, he said. But Nintendo wants to make great games so even people who own a Sony PlayStation 2 will go out and get a GameCube.

Although Iwata declined to give details of what Nintendo has in the works, he gave one example of where his company hopes to differ: It won't pursue online games, judging them as still too limited in appeal.

Nintendo is also planning more games that link the Game Boy Advance, the company's hit portable machine, with GameCube. It will exploit its lineup of exclusive games like Mario and Zelda, while working more with outside game developers.

"The element of surprise is critical. But delivering surprise is becoming extremely difficult," said Hiroshi Yamauchi, Iwata's predecessor who built his tiny card-maker into a global video-game giant. "Game developers are running out of ideas."

Yamauchi, 74, who is stepping down after five decades at the company's helm, said that developing games has grown too time-consuming and expensive. Nintendo hopes to come up with profitable games more quickly without compromising on their appeal, he said.

In the latest fiscal year ended in March, Nintendo posted a profit of 106 billion yen ($849 million), up 10% from the previous year, on a 20% rise in sales.

While scoffing at the focus on machine sales, Iwata said he remains determined to sell GameCube, targeting 50 million in worldwide sales by March 2005.

"The effort to produce machines with better technology has reached its limit," Iwata said. "If things continue, they may lead to the decline of the entire game industry."

LINK
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/t...endo-games.htm
    Found from xbox365forums

interesting info..
    although with a console..comes games..
    so whateva!

peace
    OFFICAL XBA CANADIAN , EH?Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Claymore61
    are mecs adminsters who monitor chat?

I think your reading too much in between the lines junior.
    I dont feel Nintendo will ever give up on the console aspect of their finacial plans. We all know GBA and their handheld division is here forever..... then again,...I thought Sega would never give up on hardware!:o :o

btw, CM... wher da hell are those pics your supposed to hook your Role Mode up with yo!?

Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
    I think your reading too much in between the lines junior.
    I dont feel Nintendo will ever give up on the console aspect of their finacial plans. We all know GBA and their handheld division is here forever..... then again,...I thought Sega would never give up on hardware!:o :o

btw, CM... wher da hell are those pics your supposed to hook your Role Mode up with yo!?
    they are coming to ya son, just be calm and meditate.............
    the link will be in ya box 2mos morning...been trying to get my cam working...(the things i do).........
    yeah like u say, i do hope this news is nothing, but its sad if nintendo pull a sega on are a$$..........
    Last edited by CodeMonkey; 06-06-2002 at 02:57 PM.

I saw this article on teamxbox. To simply put it, Nintendo doesn't have much of an interest in making consoles anymore. That's all there is to it. And in my opinion, a user named Calascathoe best put it in his words:

It's quite simple people. Nintendo has no interest in continuing in the hardware business. They plan on selling 50 million gamecubes by the year 2005, that's a real stretch. Nintendo no longer has the loyal fanbase they once had, Microsoft and Sony have taken that away. They can't compete with them in Europe, Japan or anywhere worldwide. They can only sell to their fanbase and their priority is Game Boy Advance, it always has been. They realize they make much more money off that than GameCube sales. The real war is between Xbox and PS2, Sony and Microsoft. The one with the largest plan and tactics wins.
    Hidden Content
    who wants to play me...

Can there be a single articl about nintendo or from nintendo that doesnt mention mario or zelda? Its as if that s all they have.

Originally posted by CodeMonkey

they are coming to ya son, just be calm and meditate.............
    the link will be in ya box 2mos morning...been trying to get my cam working...(the things i do).........
    yeah like u say, i do hope this news is nothing, but its sad if nintendo pull a sega on are a$$..........
    aight, aight, aight,...coooool.

Portable Mammogramist™ DrUnKtAnK's Avatar

It sounds as though the Gamecube may be their last console and that they may be considering going Sega's route which would be more profitable for them as a company.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high">Hidden Content quality="high" pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="180" width="470">

thats not a bad Idea for nintendo....just pull you tale between you legs and waddle away....no one will morn the loss!

Yeah it seems they want to concentrate on handheld. Would be rather cool if they put the power of the cube into a hang held… and they seem to want to make more games compatible with the GBA for link up to the cube..

Nie Find CM, I really liked to see the big N give it one more try at the console and then leave it alone ,maybe they could find their mistakes from fans and then do it right anyway XBOX Rulz
    ~1ne~
    Life Under The Sun(Chapter I:Ecclesiastes)
    Hidden Content

A big thanks goes out to the one and only awesome sigmaker GokuX

Arrow

Originally posted by JohnB
    I saw this article on teamxbox. To simply put it, Nintendo doesn't have much of an interest in making consoles anymore. That's all there is to it. And in my opinion, a user named Calascathoe best put it in his words:

It's quite simple people. Nintendo has no interest in continuing in the hardware business. They plan on selling 50 million gamecubes by the year 2005, that's a real stretch. Nintendo no longer has the loyal fanbase they once had, Microsoft and Sony have taken that away. They can't compete with them in Europe, Japan or anywhere worldwide. They can only sell to their fanbase and their priority is Game Boy Advance, it always has been. They realize they make much more money off that than GameCube sales. The real war is between Xbox and PS2, Sony and Microsoft. The one with the largest plan and tactics wins.
    Bah, whatever! Nintendo is currently ahead of Xbox in terms of hardware sales. This console war is between Xbox, PS2, and GameCube.

Nintendo hasn't even released their big guns yets- Metroid, Mario, and Zelda...Nintendo has plenty of aces up their sleeves.

Oh, and what's this about Nintendo not going online with the GameCube? I won't believe that hogwash for one second. Nintendo can and will take the GameCube online.

Microsoft and Sony have taken away some of Nintendo's fanbase, but believe me; people will still buy GameCube's regardless...

[end rant]
    █▀▀ ▀█▀ █▀▀ ███ █▀█ ▀█▀ █░█ █▀█ █▀▀
    ▀▀█ ░█░ █░█ █░█ █▀█ ░█░ █░█ ██▀ █▀▀
    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀

This has always been Nintendo's stance in the console market, the article means that Nintendo isnt interested in "power" for there consoles. Nintendo's idea of the perfect console is one that has sufficient power and is extremely dev friendly hence Nintendo's "concentrate on games" attitude. What good is power if it cant be used? As some of you might now, Xbox has the most power out of the console's but it's hardware combination isnt as efficient as GC's. That is what Nintendo is looking for from it's hardware, Shinji Mikami (Capcom) and Yuji Naka of Sonic Team have had only praise for the systems hardware because it is very flexible, easy to work with, and it's no slouch. If you dont beleive me when I say thats Nintendo's position with it's hardware, go ahead and look up all of there past and present press releases. MS succeeded in there goal to create the most powerfull console, Nintendo succeeded in making the most efficient.
    Ask me about alpacca herding!

Thread Information