Thread: I need help getting online w/Xbox!!

Nas

Default I need help getting online w/Xbox!!

I know this is a lengthy post, but PLEASE..any online xbox gamers please take the time to read it and help a brotha out!!

Alright, I have everything you need to correctly get online with the xbox. My problem is that i'm behind some freakin firewall or something that i don't know about that's on my computer. The only one I knew of was Zone Alarm, and I uninstalled that sh*t.

I have a list of questions, so if you could help on any of them, please do!

First. When trying to play on Gamespy, it gives me this message: "Gamespy has detected that your computer's internal IP addres (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is different than it's external IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) (that IP address is different than the first one it shows me). This may be caused by firewalls, a NAT proxies, or other unusual network configurations and may prevent you from hosting a game."

Does anyone else get this problem and know how to solve it?

Can you manually open the port numbers on Zone Alarm?

********MOST IMPORTANT*********
    Is there a way I can search my computer for firewalls that I may not know about? (my father may have some on here I don't know about) Because obviously I have something on here holdling me back. I uninstalled Zone Alarm, but something else is still on here.

What is NAT? (what does it stand for?)

If all else fails, should I try downloading a firewall which I can manually open the ports? If so, please name some of the firewalls that can let you manually open the ports needed to play games online.

This is truly frusterating the hell out of me. If anyone else out there had the same problem, then you know how I feel. So anyone who can give me ANY assistance, please do so!! I have everything needed to play online (I can get to the "Searching for games" screen). Just some damn protection crap on my computer is holding me back!!!!!

Thank anyone who helps me!!!!!!!!!

To answer one of your questions, yes you can open up seperate ports on ZoneAlarm, you will just have to find the one needed for Gamespy, that it will use to get your XBOX online.

NAT= Network Address Translation. And it is basically something in use for when there is a proxy server, or firewall installed, to get programs/other PC's onto the internet/other networks through one PC, or more specifically, one IP address.

I don't have this problem, although not having my cable modem installed yet, I won't know until I get it put in, hopefully soon.......
    Last edited by BCan; 06-15-2002 at 10:17 PM.

RadRider

I've got a different problem getting online. I have two PCs and my Xbox networked through a Linksys router. I can get online with Gamespy just fine, but whenever I try XBConnect, I can never connect.

Nas

Originally posted by BCan
    To answer one of your questions, yes you can open up seperate ports on ZoneAlarm, you will just have to find the one needed for Gamespy, that it will use to get your XBOX online.

NAT= Network Address Translation. And it is basically something in use for when there is a proxy server, or firewall installed, to get programs/other PC's onto the internet/other networks through one PC, or more specifically, one IP address.

I don't have this problem, although not having my cable modem installed yet, I won't know until I get it put in, hopefully soon.......
    How do you open up the INDIVIDUAL ports by number using zone alarm???????

Nas

Does anyone know how to foward/open ports on a Linksys router? I need to open up those two ports gamespy requires so i can play online! Thank you

XBA's Official Doctor Snake Eyez's Avatar

what operating system do you use? Also have you looked through the add/remove in the control panel. This should tell you the types of programs that may be causing the problem.

Nas

I have Windows: ME and what sorts of things should i look for in the Add/Remove programs? I mean, what could be causing the problem?

anything that could be a firewall device like black ice, sygate, tiny (kerio), norton firewall, or ZAP. I would contact some of the people at www.xbconnect.com and maybe copy them a list of the programs that you have running at startup. I wish I could help you more, but I'm not as good on the computer as other people here.

zone alarm can be difficult to remove from your computer. Most places that I have read recommend that you follow the intructions at zone alarm to remove the program and not use the uninstall program. Here is a link that might help http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...InstallFAQ.jsp

Nas

Thanks for all your help Snake Eyes I'll get back to you later when something new happens. peace

Thread Information