Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux on XBOX (legally)

Default Linux on XBOX (legally)

I just put this up here b/c it was not already. I am not saying its good or bad, it just is.
    quote:

This weekend, a group announced the progress of their attempt to run Linux on the video-game system. And the bad news for Microsoft is that the method is perfectly legal.

quote:

According to an article published this week in ZDNet, the programmer from Germany Michael Steil has managed to make progress toward his goal of running Linux on Microsoft's Xbox console. Although the software giant has been catching all the "Xbox hackers" with pressure from its lawyers, this time the method is said to be totally legal.

Steil has started to talk about the new application called "Linuxpreview," which should get the status of first application to run on Xbox without using tools from the official Xbox Software Development Kit (SDK). The application is also one of the first to work on the transformation of the Xbox into a Linux-based PC, informed ZDNet.

For the joy of the Linux community, LinuxPreview makes the famous penguin appear on the Xbox start-up screen (picture) and advises that Xbox Linux is "Coming Soon." The information about the application was found in the project led by Steil, called Xbox Linux Project. The German programmer told the website through email that Linuxpreview was a "small application," but that it represented much since it is the first to show "that it is possible to write an application that has not been developed with Microsoft's SDK and does not contain any Microsoft code."

Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

Who cares about linux anyway.
    Oh a life? That sounds fun, where can I download one of those?

Originally posted by Exatox
    Quite a few people. Theres even a 20k reward for the first person to get linux running on the box legally.
    Last edited by Dre; 07-22-2002 at 08:08 AM.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Sleeping All Hail Penguin

20K only? Anyway this is gonna be cool!

Hidden Content
    :o Wherever Whenever FOREVER-Bakero

I think its 200K for the first person to run it. That gives alot of incentive to work night and day on it. Hehe watch that 200k be in Canadian dollars.
    "Halo 2 is alot like Halo, only it's Halo on fire going through the hospital zone 130 miles per hour being
    chased by helicopters and ninjas, and the ninjas are on fire too"

Griesemer: Halo 2 is going to be everything you liked about Halo, only wrapped in bacon and deep-fried. As everyone knows, bacon makes even the best things even better.

PunkBuster Support Guru Batman2372's Avatar

Default I do

Originally posted by Exatox
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Xbox (had a Halo party Saturday night), but it's Linux that lets me put food on the table (and the cars, and the house, and the Xbox, blah, blah, blah)

I wish I had the time to try to do the project (it's actually two different goals at $100,000 each), but there are too many guys already way ahead of me. Someone's going to get it soon, and I for one am glad. Good for them
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

yeah 100k in the bank would definatly be nice! To bad it is really to late to start this project!

if i got the 200k, id buy a ferrari and a rolls royce. lol

You couldn't afford both a ferarri and rolls royce with only $200,000 (unless you bought used.) Some ferraris cost more then 200K by themselves.

ghost lost in wolfenstein mother's Avatar

Default umm stop hating.

okay well i guess you never used linux on your pc. if you follow and use linux, then you would know that it is pretty tight, imagine a os like windows made for gaming. hey if its legal, then im all for it. but hey if they do come out with a linux for the xbox legally, man o man watch out...

cause it could "revolutionize" the xbox. it will let people make their own games, programs, etc., and they'll be able to run them on the xbox.

blub blub blub

That article is totally bogus...they have NOT "legally" made ANYTHING run...this is direct from xbox-linux.sourceforge.net (the homepage for this garbage) -

6 July 2002: The first Xbox program created without the Xbox SDK is available. Look at the photos here and here and here. Download the source here and a zip file with the CD image here. This is the first legal homebrew application! Of course you will need a modded Xbox. Microsoft, could you please sign this application? (bold added by me)

A modded Xbox is not legal...but it's perfectly legal for Linux eggheads who never pay for software because "it should be free". I abhor the "linux community"......

Default Learn about Linux before you blast it

Originally posted by darianX

A modded Xbox is not legal...but it's perfectly legal for Linux eggheads who never pay for software because "it should be free". I abhor the "linux community"......
    A modded Xbox is very legal. Just like I can take my lawnmower and make it into a giant blender, I can take my purchased Xbox and make it into anything I want. The illegality comes into place when you start dealing with the Intellectual property, which in the case of the Xbox is built into the hardware. The previous Linux-for-Xbox projects dealt with a stolen Xbox SDK, which is very illegal. These guys are completely in the clear.

Before you start blasting the Linux and Open Source community, get your facts straight.

As I stated earlier, I am an Open Source (ie Linux) Developer. I make MONEY doing that. I don't have a beef with anyone making money off of their work. What I DO have a problem with is when a corporation tells me that their way of doing things is the only way they will allow it to happen, case closed.

Let me give you a scenario. I write a small program in perl for a Linux operating system with a GPL license. I can still charge whatever I want for it. I don't have to give it out at all if I don't want to. Whoever buys that software and can repackage it, tweak it, whatever they want with it, but with the following major condition: they must release the source code. That way, anyone that gets it can look at it, try to make it better, whatever. Nowhere does it say you have to give it away THE PRODUCT for free.

If I'm allowed to take my car apart, put on new pieces (ie tweaking), to make it run the way I want to, why shouldn't I be able to do the same with some software?

Granted, the majority of people could care less. But those of us that want to tweak our cars/software to better do what we want should be allowed to do so. Microsoft is very bad about letting you in to see how the product you paid for works, while the Linux side of things is much more open.

That's why I'm excited about this project.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

blub blub blub

If modchips for the Xbox were legal, why is Microsoft shutting down places that are selling them etc? And from what I can see, there's an encryption layer in the ROM, so I can't see how bypassing or breaking the encryption is legal.

I know all about Linux and how it works with the GPL...no need for a lecture about the glories of open source. The point I was making dealt with the cold, hard fact that the overwhelming vast majority of Linux users won't pay a dime for software because they have the communal thought process. And the GPL means nothing to those people - they see "FREE" written all over it. Why do you think Loki went under? No one bought their products, plain and simple, no matter what kind of license came with it.

As for Microsoft not letting you see how their copyrighted, patented product works, that's just tough titties man. If you don't like it, don't buy it. They produced it so they'll do whatever they want with it; the analogy between a car and software doesn't fly and everyone knows it. There is a difference between cars and software because of titles and licensing. When you pay for the car, you get the title. When you buy software, you're not buying the code, you're buying a license to use the software within the manufacturers limits. We can go around and around about that all week but I think my point is made.

Granted, Microsoft will probably let "Linux on the Xbox" slide because they know only about 17 people will go through the effort to put it on their console (see PS2 Linux for that), but the method to get it to install and run is a different matter. They will crack down hard on anyone who runs afoul of their conditions because they know very well that all the hot air about getting other OSes and such to run on their box is an open door to piracy.

BTW, I run a Linux server and write lots of stuff in PHP, so I have no complaints about Linux in general. What I dislike is the rampant zealotry, ivory tower and anti-corporate air that surrounds a great portion of the "community". Most of those folks need to grow up and get into the real world, where things are much different than in their basements.

Default RE: darianX

1. As I said before, the group doing this particular project has already received legal clearance. End of story

2. You're still stereotyping. Just because people use linux or open source doesn't automatically make them think that we should live in a utopian technological society where all software and work should be free. Yes, there are some. But there are just as many people that believe that if the software isn't Microsoft endorsed, it's crap, shouldn't be allowed to run, and squashed out of existence so they can "get on track" with the Microsoft way of thinking.

I agree with you that the "Microsoft is bad, Linux is Good" mentality is outrageous and wrong. I personally run both Windows and Redhat on my PC. Microsoft and friends make some great stuff. I just have a problem with the fact that if I buy something, I should be able to do whatever I want with it, and I'm not allowed to with Microsoft products. That to me is too much power in the hands of an individual company.
    "Who are you?"

"I'm...

Wow, that looks JUST like my post at XenGen.

AloneInTheDark: Please dont post questions like that without even giveing any effort to finding the anwser on your own. A search on google would have easily anwsered that question. Or you could try www.linux.com (common sense)

aloneinthedark it looks like ur name suits u well

Originally posted by blindrocket
    Wow, that looks JUST like my post at XenGen.

Uh, ya I did that. I like to spread the word. All credit for this one goes to whoever wants it. I dont care.
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

bust a nut

god im a retard...
    what is lunix?????

Thread Information