• Hell yeah, how else am I gunna win any FPS

13 38.24%
  • No thats a LAME idea

14 41.18%
  • I dont care

7 20.59%

Thread: - - Xbox Keyborad and mouse - -

Default - - Xbox Keyborad and mouse - -

Ok, now this is a good topic . . who is for it and agaist it, please vote and state your reasons . . .

I am against it . . . for a few reasons

1. Not the direction that MS should to take this console . . . this is a console and a keyboard and mouse IMHO has no place being used on it, it would make the system more like a computer and less appealing to the public, well that what i think anyway

2. Everyone playing games should use the SAME type of input device . . . now givin some contorllers vary a little from other (S-type, Madcatz, Gamster . . . ) but they all have 2 anolog sticks, a D-pad, 2 triggers, A, B, X, Y, white and black buttons . . . . now some people might be better at FPS with a mouse and keyboard, and thats fine there r plenty of quality shooters for the PC . . . but i feel that everyone should be usding the same 'type' of controller and a mouse and keyboard is totaly differnet then the controllers . . .

3. When XBL comes out all game will use the headset communicator, and the communicator come with the year of service when u buy XBL, so there is no reason to have a keyboard to communicate, since voice comminication is
    A) faster
    B) more personal (since u accualy hear a voice, masked or not)
    C) easier to express emotion (show sarcasm, laughter, or when your really getting your ass handed to ya HATE)
    D) not having to inturupt the gameplay to relay a message to teammates
    E) all your focus can be on the game and not your spelling

NO FLAMING just say y you want or dont want a K/M
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

Hate this idea....

1) Console is console.....Not a computer. (STOP CHANGING FACTS!!!!)

2) Xbox Live!'s comin' soon.....why bother typing and clicking?

3) Controller ports are for controllers.....Not peripherals. (STOP CHANGING FACTS!!!!)
    HALO: FPS Evolved

Hidden Content

Games I've Owned: Halo: Combat Evolved | MotoGP: The Ultimate Racing Technology
    "Can't Wait" List: SegaGT 2002 | Halo 2 | Blinx: The Time Sweeper | Project Ego | Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

Official XBA "Swear Free" person.
    Official XBA "PS2 Guys" hunter.

Just think of the heyboard and mouse as a controller.

I think it would be cool to have the option to buy k/m setup from MS. I wouldn't buy it, but I know many friends who gripe about it.. (usually after I've just handed it to them with a 25-2 Halo victory).

Now, I also strongly believe that when playing online, EVERYONE should be using the same input device. It makes everyone equal with no advantages. I'm a much better FPS player using the controller as opposed to a k/m setup on the computer. The controllers now a day do an amazing job at doing what they do.

One very cool thing about consoles using USB ports (or bastardized versions of them) is that the Xbox should be able to poll the input device and from there be able to figure out if its a standard joystick, s-controller, k/m setup, etc. So, once XBL comes out, even if a k/m setup is released, games should be able to limit the input device to controllers.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

I'll continue to play FPS games on the PC rather than a console sans keyboard and mouse.

I don't even want a full keyboard. I keypad with the mouse will be perfect.

1) Console is console.....Not a computer. (STOP CHANGING FACTS!!!!)
    Who is calling it a computer? Does a keyboard and mouse turn it into a computer all of the sudden?

2) Xbox Live!'s comin' soon.....why bother typing and clicking?
    There is more you can do with a keyboard besides typing. Again, not the point of a keyboard and mouse.

3) Controller ports are for controllers.....Not peripherals. (STOP CHANGING FACTS!!!!)
    What do you think controllers are? They are peripherals for the console. The 'ports' on the xbox were built using the USB standards (with a proprietary connector) so you could easily build new devices to plug into it.

I just don't understand the negativity on this board towards products that actually make the Xbox better and don't do a single thing to hurt it. Your reasonings for this is beyond me.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    I just don't understand the negativity on this board towards products that actually make the Xbox better and don't do a single thing to hurt it. Your reasonings for this is beyond me.
    good point, but what can u do with a K/M that u cant do with a controller and a communicator
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

The Frew-its of the Devil

Talking

If they were to make the units one. Meaning the mouse is plugged into the keyboard or something I would buy it. Anyone who can't make the distinction between the Xbox and PC is a moron of their own right. They wish to see things this way and it is therefore their own fault if they want to associate the two products that way. Even if they could some way make a controller that mimicks the amazing scheme offered by the KB/M setup (like the claw controller) then that would suffice. I don't need all those buttons, just "wsad" "space" "x" and a two button mouse with a wheel. I'd be set in Halo... burnin yall!!!
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

good point, but what can u do with a K/M that u cant do with a controller and a communicator
    type stuff?
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Have precision and fast control for one. (mouse specific)

The communicator also is very bandwidth hungry as they are finding out in beta tests now. I don't believe it will be as successful as everyone is hoping it will be (performancewise). There are just too many bottlenecks in our technology today to offer that much voice communicating during games. Hopefully they are working out new compression and priority schemes to help it by launch.

If you go with a full keyboard, well you have 110+ keys versus 8 + 3 joy sticks on a controller. Just look at the thread asking about FPS and switching weapons using a controller. One button click for keyboard, hold button and scroll through weapons for controller.

I don't want a full keyboard anyway. Just 16 keys and a scrolling 4 button mouse. That would do it all.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Yeah, that would be great if Xbox had a keyboard and mouse. Especially an optical mouse

Have precision and fast control for one. (mouse specific)

the dual anolog sticks arnt enough for precision and fast control??
    in IMHO they do FPS juctice . . .

The communicator also is very bandwidth hungry as they are finding out in beta tests now. I don't believe it will be as successful as everyone is hoping it will be (performancewise). There are just too many bottlenecks in our technology today to offer that much voice communicating during games. Hopefully they are working out new compression and priority schemes to help it by launch.

i also read that the voice communication will have its own deticated sever . . . so that should help
    Last edited by OppiumNitrates; 07-24-2002 at 04:48 PM.
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

the dual anolog sticks arnt enough for precision and fast control??
    Not in the least, compared to a mouse. That continues to be the number 1 complaint against a controller versus a mouse for FPS games. There are exceptions of course, some people do just fine with the controller.

i also read that the voice communication will have its own deticated sever . . . so that should help
    That won't really matter since the biggest limiting factor will be us, not Microsoft. Having a dedicated server for the communicator won't change the fact that we are still limited in our upload bandwidth. That will be the biggest factor which will limit the use of the voice communicator in games for most gamers. Most just don't have enough bandwidth, even on broadband.
    ---Hidden Content ---

You will never be able to aim as precisely and quickly with a controller as you could a mouse. On that note I do think the controller is superior for all other functions.

Well I was thinking of alittle different..

Maybe instead of a keyboard it can be a smaller device with the actually bottons on it...
    X, Y, A, B, White, Black, and 1 anolog stick..

now the set up would be where the buttons were in a row and set up for your left hand..

X (pinky), Y (ring finger), A (middle), B (index)

And on the thumb you can have the anolog stick and under the stick can be the white and black button...

Then you can have a mouse and the left and right mouse buttons can be the left and right triggers...

That might be a cool set up to play games like Halo, and other FPSers.

The anolog stick could be used to move left,right, forward, back
    and the mouse to look around of course..

This device for your left hand would be similar to the Nostromo n50 SpeedPad for the PC (I don't have this, just thinks it's a neat idea). Not sure if everyone here as seen it so here is a link..

CLICKY

I've been playing FPS on PC for YEARS (about 5) So using the xbox controller is alittle difficult on me. Using a MOUSE to AIM is alot faster and more accurate.

I have a Nostromo n50 and love it but now I found a better toy

http://us.thrustmaster.com/products/...?skin=Tactical

I'd appreciate a keyboard and would probably pick one up, especially for Halo 2 whenever that might be. I like the Xbox controller alot, but I don't think any controller is better than a nice mouse when it comes to precision and speed of aim, granted there are probably some people who are good enough with the Xbox controller now that they could match a person using a keyboard and mouse.

I welcome the idea of having a keyboard for the X-Box. I don't really have much of an opinion on a keyboard and mouse combo though. I personally would rather use a Microsoft Official Controller before I use a keyboard and mouse combo simply for the reason of having a trigger button. However, I would strongly agree to having a keyboard for the X-Box consoles.
    I feel that a Microsoft should certainly be investing on the keyboard and consider the X-Box users who can not use the Communicator for X-Box Live, be it due to physical disabilities of the lack of a Communicator ("guests"). Also, if there are such things as game lobbies or chat rooms in X-Box Live, then I rather read texts then try to listen to a group of people talking at once.

PS. I shun the keyboard and mouse for the FPSs now... they just aren't fun anymore. Move. Click. Move. Click. IMHO, you should pull a trigger to fire a weapon, or release the trigger to fire a arrow (Enclave).
    Proud owner of Halo: Combat Evolved

Thread Information