Thread: I Need Your Input

Default I Need Your Input

Hey,
    I'm an engineering student in Toronto.
    This is going to be a project of mine for the next 4 months. An XBOX controller specifically designed for first person shooters.

All the technical wiring and hook-ups will be copied from a normal controller. This controller has 2 flight sticks (that's what gets me excited about the project), hopefully Ill have room to install vibrators in the handles.
    It sports all the features that a normal XBOX controller does.

What do you guys think? I would appreciate some tips and suggestions from fellow gamers. It needs a name too.

PS: I made a very rough version of this picture a month ago, and some guy on this site said it looked like a nasty sex toy. I hope you all like this one.
    Lates.......

Now be nice, its just a concept illustration.

Very nice design! I would like to add something to it though....

1) Put a wheelball on top of a stick.
    2) Put triggers behind the sticks.
    3) This is hard to explain...Make the sticks pressable, like when you zoom in Halo with the analog stick, you apply it to the joysticks.....

Thanks very much.
    HALO: FPS Evolved

Hidden Content

Games I've Owned: Halo: Combat Evolved | MotoGP: The Ultimate Racing Technology
    "Can't Wait" List: SegaGT 2002 | Halo 2 | Blinx: The Time Sweeper | Project Ego | Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

Official XBA "Swear Free" person.
    Official XBA "PS2 Guys" hunter.

xbAWOL

that looks pretty seet, but im not sure if you want the d pad on the top of the left joystick, since they do the same thing....it might be good for games in which the dpad shares a different post than the left analog stick

That looks awesome, the tricky part is to find a way to get the base to stay in place. I hate suction cups...

Originally posted by cityson
    Very nice design! I would like to add something to it though....

1) Put a wheelball on top of a stick.
    2) Put triggers behind the sticks.
    3) This is hard to explain...Make the sticks pressable, like when you zoom in Halo with the analog stick, you apply it to the joysticks.....

Thanks very much.
    It will have triggers
    I will have those analog stick buttons (they are in the concept illustration)
    And I don't know what a wheelball is.

Thanks, and I'm glad you think its cool

Originally posted by hook-worm J
    That looks awesome, the tricky part is to find a way to get the base to stay in place. I hate suction cups...
    yeah....Hmmmmm?.........
    Everything I build is heavy (very heavy, its a habit of mine) so I think some rubber grips should keep it steady on a table.
    PS: I hate suction cups as well.

Try using peanut butter

Originally posted by Alfonso
    Try using peanut butter
    Ok, thanks for the tip.

It has every feature a normal controller does. That means you can play any game with it.
    Sweet eh?

Default neat

Looks interesting and neat. It sure is something different. Now the rubber grips idea is a great one, but how about like a lap thing where you can have it between your legs. (racing wheels have em') Not everyone has a table smack in front of their tv and not everyone has a table in their room. I know for me, I wouldn't buy it because it doesn't have a lap thing and the pc desk in my room is to far away to sit there and still play videogames on the tv. Just make it an enjoyable and versatile product that everyone would be able to enjoy. Oh ya, it looks like it could be pretty good to use with boxing games also. Good Luck!

Yeah, good point.
    I have the MC2 Race Wheel, and it has the leg clamps. It sure is better than using a table.
    But I'm going to keep this controller as simple as I can, its not like I'm going to make alot of these things. Or is it?

Default neat

Looks interesting and neat. It sure is something different. Now the rubber grips idea is a great one, but how about like a lap thing where you can have it between your legs. (racing wheels have em') Not everyone has a table smack in front of their tv and not everyone has a table in their room. I know for me, I wouldn't buy it because it doesn't have a lap thing and the pc desk in my room is to far away to sit there and still play videogames on the tv. Just make it an enjoyable and versatile product that everyone would be able to enjoy. Oh ya, it looks like it could be pretty good to use with boxing games also. Good Luck!

Yeah, good point.
    I have the MC2 Race Wheel, and it has the leg clamps. It sure is better than using a table.
    But I'm going to keep this controller as simple as I can, its not like I'm going to make alot of these things. Or is it?

i think i woul,d get my ass kicked useing that controller, i hate mouse and keyboard, and im not a big flight stick fan eighter. . . . im accaully quite happy with the S-contoller, but that concept design looks cool, i just think i would much rather be holding somthing then having to sit in front of a table of some sort
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
    i think i woul,d get my ass kicked useing that controller, i hate mouse and keyboard, and im not a big flight stick fan eighter. . . . im accaully quite happy with the S-contoller, but that concept design looks cool, i just think i would much rather be holding somthing then having to sit in front of a table of some sort
    Yeah, same here
    This is an idea I have had for a while now.
    I know it will work.
    Will it be weird and uncomfortable?
    Will it be capable and efficient?
    I don't know, but it will work.

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

if you want to make a controller for FPS, i would suggest a touchpad in place of the right joystick, you know what i mean, they are on some keyboards and take the place of a mouse, it would take some getting used to, but i think people would like it, maybe too much for your project though, just a thought.

by the way, do you go to U of T? i go to U of T Scarborough for Comp. Sci.

Thread Information