Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my OXM #11 Today

Default I got my OXM #11 Today

No Sega GT 2002 Demo!!
    For next month they got 19 XBox games listed as coming out!!

Hidden Content XBOX RULES!

B.S, he has no proof!

Originally posted by Revit_X_man
    B.S, he has no proof!
    lol dude....thats funny.....but your right....he has no proff.....LIAR!!!!!LIAR!!!!!!

lol

well he has 712 posts, there has to be some credibility in there, but i'm skeptical as well since they promised a sega demo.
    Pics in sigs are stupid.

On the Cover is Ninja Gaiden & DOAXBV!!

But if your going to call me a liar then I'm not telling you any more about it!!
    Last edited by Knight; 08-23-2002 at 12:20 PM.

What games did they review?

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

i belive ya knight.

wasup...give me the skinney

previews
    reviews
    cover story

hooooooooook it uuuuuuuup

reviews:

NFL Blitz 20-03
    Nfl 2k3
    Madden 2003
    Fever 2003
    Prisoner of War
    Aggressive Inline
    Red Card 20-03
    Soccer Slam
    Bruce Lee
    Tetris World
    Sega GT 2002
    Street Hoops
    Taz Wanted

demos:

Crash Bandicoot
    Halo
    Hunter
    Max Payne
    Spiderman
    Jedi Star Fighter
    Time Splitters

no Sega GT

movies:

Lotus Challange
    Splinter Cell
    ToeJam & Earl 3
    Malice
    P.O.D (pyramid of death)
    10 plays month
    Dead to rights
    Enclave
    Hitman 2

previews

Streets of LA
    DOAXB
    Ninja Gaiden (New pretty pics)
    BMX XXX
    Medal of Honor Frontline
    Duality (only four pics )
    Jedi Knight 2
    Crimson Sea
    Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
    Blade 2

-jarvis
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    Learn to swim...
    -Tool

im expecting to get mine any day now, i cant wait

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

thanx for the 411 jarvis

i'm glad to see nfl2k3 beat madden..thats what i was most interested in.

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

Originally posted by Jarvis
    demos:

Crash Bandicoot
    Halo
    Hunter
    Max Payne
    Spiderman
    Jedi Star Fighter
    Time Splitters

no Sega GT

WTF? THERES NOTHING NEW!!!!!!!!!

i'm glad to see nfl2k3 beat madden..thats what i was most interested in.
    IGN said that the Xbox had the best version:

NFL 2K3 (PS2, GCN, Xbox)
    NFL 2K3 has finally succeeded in doing what no other sports (except possibly EA's own NCAA Football ) game could... it has toppled Madden. For football purists, there's nothing better than 2K3's realistic gameplay, stingy AI, and mega-deep Franchise mode.

But perhaps you own more than system and don't know which is the best. That's where we come in. This head-to-head is designed to help you sort out which controls the best, which game has the best picture and sound, and what versions can get online (if you're into that sort of thing). Bear in mind that all three versions are great. If you roll with one system, you'll be happy with whatever version you buy. But if you're in a pinch, we'll help you make one of the toughest decisions of your life.

Control
    The PS2 has the best sports controller around, period, and it's especially good for football. One advantage it has is that the paddle has basically been around since the PSX launched, so there's been a lot of tweaking to make it the sweetest controller around. It's the best for playing 2K3, too, although Xbox comes in a close second.

Luckily, on both Xbox and Cube, the trigger buttons are assigned to passing, so you don't have to try to find the bean buttons on the Cube or the small black and white buttons on the Xbox. Still, passing with a trigger is not as nice as passing with the shoulder buttons. In addition, both the Xbox and PS2 have analog buttons which makes passing and juking a lot easier.

I feel like I'm harping on this each time I do a head-to-head, but the GameCube simply is not a good sports controller. That said, this is one of the least offensive set-ups for playing football on the Cube. It almost approaches intuitive. The other thing about the Cube is that it supports a wireless controller (the Wavebird) which makes the Cube an attractive option for rowdy four-player games. However, I still have to give the overall edge to the PS2.

Graphics
    The animations in NFL 2K3 are some of the best around, and look great on all three systems. In fact, most things look very similar on all three--player models, face textures, and stadiums. However, on the Xbox, everything is a little crisper, and a lot more textured. Take a look at the jerseys on the Xbox version, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    The main difference between the versions lies in the field texture department. The textures in 2K3 have never been stunning, but they look pretty good on the Xbox version. Some of the textures--especially up-close views of dome turf--look good on the PS2 and GameCube, but there are others that are plain awful. Some grass textures, for instance, look mottled and bitmappy, and, well, not much like grass. On a couple of fields we saw on the Cube, the texture actually seemed to "stop" at the bottom of the screen, pixelling out into blackness at the border of the picture. This won't concern you unless you're a big time graphics connoisseur. The same problem exists somewhat on the PS2 as well.

Some of the textures can be pretty muddy on the GameCube and PS2.

The Xbox handles textures the best throughout. In addition, this version adds detail to everything. The stadia look a little more realistic and filled-out, the uniforms look great (check out the mesh) even close up, and weather effects look great throughout.

One more thing to note. We saw a weird blurring effect during some of the action on the Cube version. Again, this will only bother you if you are seriously concerned about graphical matters. The bottom line is that all three versions look good, but Xbox looks great at times.

Winner: Xbox

Sound
    NFL 2K3 has some of the best sound we've heard thus far in a football title. The cacading noise of the crowd is great, the field jabber is well done (and not over-done) and the commentary is tight. Of course, if you have a great home audio system, you'll want to show it off. And you want to know which version does that the best.

The audio component of NFL 2K3, in terms of quality, can be broken down pretty easily. A huge part of the experience is hearing the crowds, the announcers, and the unsettling crunches of two teams colliding. Between the three different consoles, the breakdown is very much like it usually is for multi-platform releases.

Starting at the bottom and working our way up, the GameCube version comes packaged with the most compressed, and muddled sound. You'll be able to hear all the same effects, but the separation is very minimal. The announcer is centered, but the crowd and on-field effects start to overpower him, and it doesn't help that it's somewhat compressed. Overall, it's actually fairly disappointing once you've heard all three versions.

Moving on, the PlayStation 2 version is very similar to the GameCube. However, it benefits from a larger media size, DVD, and an optical audio output, so the compression on commentary and effects isn't nearly as detectable. It's definitely a cut above the GameCube version in that regard.

As usual, though, the ruler in the audio department is the Xbox. In the side-by-side comparison, the Xbox would be like listening to a CD where the GameCube and PS2 iterations of NFL 2K3 are more akin to tape cassettes. Also, the separate between the front channels is immediately apparent. As you plow through the lines you'll be able to hear your attackers to the right and left. Meanwhile, the commentary is clean and uncontaminated by the crowds and peripheral effects.

Oddly, all three feature surround support -- the crowds fill all five speakers -- but it doesn't appear to be Dolby certified. This much is a real shame, because with enough work we could have seen much-improved audio, and ultimately immersion, with the implementation of Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital 5.1. Titles like Halo, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, and Metal Gear Solid 2 have proven this much.

So, indeed, the Xbox version is the clear winner. Don't laugh all at once kids, it's a clever play on words that you'll no doubt hear again. Now, break from this huddle and move on...

Winner: Xbox

The Xbox boasts the best graphics, sound and also has online play.

Feature
    PlayStation 2
    Xbox
    GameCube

Media/Size 1 DVD 1 DVD 1 GVD
    Resolution 640 X 480 640 X 480 640 X 480
    Progressive Scan No Yes Yes
    Sound Dolby Surround Dolby Digital (5.1) Dolby Surround
    Memory Size 1 Memory Card Unlimited 1 Memory Card (251)
    No. Players 1-8 (With Multitap) 1-4 1-4
    Online Yes Yes No
    Analog Passing Yes Yes No

Final Verdict
    There is one last thing to consider, and that's online play. Xbox and PS2 have it, and GameCube doesn't. While this may or may not matter to you, we think it's pretty huge. We got an opportunity to play the Xbox Live version at Visual Concepts, and it's great. There's virtually no lag, the communication is fast and furious, and it's plain fun. Just the ability to play a console football game with a buddy across the country has us itching for Novemeber. We can't speak to the effectiveness of online play on the PS2, but the mere fact that the feature exists is itself a plus. The PS2 online service launches next week, so be sure to check the PS2 site for a rundown of how everything plays.

In the end, this one comes down to graphics, and ease of saving (no fumbling for memory cards is a huge plus), both areas where the Xbox excels. Add the best audio and slick online gaming to the package, and what do you have? Xbox emerging victorious again. What are you waiting for? Buy an Xbox today, not tomorrow, because this trend doesn't seem to be letting up.

Overall Winner: Xbox
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

Originally posted by robphillips79
    well he has 712 posts, there has to be some credibility in there, but i'm skeptical as well since they promised a sega demo.
    Rob, if I remember correctly they apologized for not including SegaGT in disc #10 and said they HOPED it would be included in the next edition.
    TIME flies!

I hope ya'll are kidding about the demo disc.....that sounds totally pathetic.

Originally posted by BullitNC
    I hope ya'll are kidding about the demo disc.....that sounds totally pathetic.
    Me too. If it's true, then I'm hanging myself.

i'am not paying $12 to play those demo's!,i have all them,i'll just rip it open and read it at the news stand.
    • My "LIVE" games
    • Ghost Recon IT
    • Rainbow 6 lll
    • Counter Strike

the next oxm isnt coming out for AT LEAST 2 weeks. i just got my last one a few weeks ago.
    i am an artist.

Hidden Content

Originally posted by killerclint
    i'am not paying $12 to play those demo's!,i have all them,i'll just rip it open and read it at the news stand.
    I did that once and the stupid clerks at Gamestop yelled at me.
    TXB username: cavedoggie

ouch, this mag looks like garbage. guess i don't need to buy any toilet paper for the next few weeks.

i can't believe they gave us all recycled demos. plus the previews are of games i could care less about or stupid ports. and they want me to re-subscribe. suck it!
    Pics in sigs are stupid.

Seriously the month after better have some extra **** that is A LOT better cause this issue sounds worthless. The demo is pretty much old demos and released games, there a couple movies (but I could prob d-load them online), and the magazine sounds terrible. Why the hell did I subscribe? Signing off...

Thread Information