Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 2 News!

Default Xbox 2 News!

Intel, NVidia, ATI... out of the picture?

Recent news stories report that Microsoft may design their own chips for the Xbox 2 design. This means that the manufacturers of the current Xbox console may be out of the picture. For the Xbox 1, NVidia had won the bid to supply the graphics chips for the Xbox, and Intel won the bidding war against the CPU manufacturer AMD.

NVidia and MS... the end of a beautiful relationship

Nvidia's share price rose after they reported doing quite well even though worldwide Microsoft Xbox sales were below expection. Insiders report that Microsoft didn't like Nvidia's refusal to lower the cost of their chip set, and apparently Microsoft is getting ready for legal action against Nvidia, based on a breach of agreement between the two companies.

XBox 2 is a DIY for Microsoft

The main reason for this move is of course the cost for Microsoft for the use of these components in the Xbox, which are largely responsible for the high price of the console, making it extra-hard for MS to offer the console at a reduced price. The surprising news is that Microsoft aims not only to develop and produce their own graphics chips, but also the main CPU, by which Microsoft plans to shake off its dependency on X86 suppliers.

Sources say that Microsoft has posted a request for quotation for a DirectX9/10 microcode engine, the part of the chip that decodes and processes DirectX instructions.

Rather receive than pay license fees

Microsoft's move into chip development and production was foreshadowed by their recent acquisition of Silicon Graphics patents. This means that they can implement many features into their chips that otherwise would require licensing, AND it means that other chip manufacturers like ATI and NVidia will have to start paying Microsoft license fees.

MSIL all the way

The CPU for the Xbox 2 is rumoured to be designed to be a processor that can decode and execute instructions in Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) while at the same time being able to run x86 code, to remain compatible with Xbox 1.

Xbox 2, the real "home station?"

Not unlike Sony's drive to develop a "home station" that would function as the center of a home entertainment system, Microsoft plans to make the Xbox 2 the machine that will take over our living rooms, providing not only video game entertainment, but also online functions, and direct-to-disk digital TV recording. Microsoft has deep pockets and may venture on undeterred of the moderate success of Xbox 1, but it may take Xbox 2 or even Xbox 3 or 4 before Microsoft's plan for global domination of our living rooms becomes reality.
    JayT - the.JOKER

Hidden Content There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I hope they continue to FOCUS on GAMES rather than a whole entertainment system. If they dont FOCUS on the GAMES then they may start to make a sub par gaming system and I may be forced to purchase a sub par sony product.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    I hope they continue to FOCUS on GAMES rather than a whole entertainment system. If they dont FOCUS on the GAMES then they may start to make a sub par gaming system and I may be forced to purchase a sub par sony product.
    I agree with you....they need to not lose focus here....we want an awesome gaming console first and foremost

Like my subliminal message with the FOCUS and GAMES being caps?

I just did it again. I hope someone important from Microsofts XBOX development team reads this.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

Like my subliminal message with the FOCUS and GAMES being caps?

I just did it again. I hope someone important from Microsofts XBOX development team reads this.

wow, your pretty tricky

i agree i woudl be happy if xbox 2 was just the same as xbox only more powerful

Gimmicks!
    bwn82k (Brian)
    Hidden Content

So the Microsoft monopoly gets bigger.... stupid MS... I only use their gaming system nothing else... Linux rules

I knew it would come to this, So if Microsoft continues with the "Home Station" Ideal, it may rock, but it may suck, I bet Sony follows in thier footsteps, because the Masses of people will be lured into the Gimmicks, like "Man Xbox 2 Homestation you can play Video games, surf the net watch Ultimatate TV (Direct TV wannabe thingy from Microsoft) record your favorite shows onto DVD's and watch DVDs , Man you can only Play Video games on PS3/PS4 ,,, so even though I would love just a Gaming console, I know the Sheep of tech , will love the gimmicks ,

Anyway I hope they make a Version that is games and DVD only and is backward Compatible ,
    Wadical Dwagons! *quote from random game nerd in an arcade when I was a kid in the 80's*

I hope it is a home station w/ a strong imphasis on gaming.....People ms is not making all the games other developers are helping them....MS has there own unique divisions so xboxs games getting worse due to there new endevor is not likely.

i bought the xbox cause of the power
    Hidden Content

Where did you get this? I remember reading something like this an extremely long time ago, but it's quite outdated now. Nvidia is still in the picture for Xbox 2.

Yea the grapics are good... geez why make them better?

Just making better games.. Its not all about gfx you guys...

the gfx are fine today.... what we need is better games
    Hidden Content
    The flow of time is always cruel.... its speed seems different for eash person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days...

Originally posted by GaMMa
    So the Microsoft monopoly gets bigger.... stupid MS... I only use their gaming system nothing else... Linux rules
    It's funny that you would call MS stupid and still spend money on their product. Who's the stupid one?

Originally posted by huskerman44

It's funny that you would call MS stupid and still spend money on their product. Who's the stupid one?
    Well Bill smiles all the way to the bank

H-I-T-E-R........NO L! hiter101's Avatar

Default Re: Xbox 2 News!

Originally posted by thejoker
    Intel, NVidia, ATI... out of the picture?

Recent news stories report that Microsoft may design their own chips for the Xbox 2 design. This means that the manufacturers of the current Xbox console may be out of the picture. For the Xbox 1, NVidia had won the bid to supply the graphics chips for the Xbox, and Intel won the bidding war against the CPU manufacturer AMD.

NVidia and MS... the end of a beautiful relationship

Nvidia's share price rose after they reported doing quite well even though worldwide Microsoft Xbox sales were below expection. Insiders report that Microsoft didn't like Nvidia's refusal to lower the cost of their chip set, and apparently Microsoft is getting ready for legal action against Nvidia, based on a breach of agreement between the two companies.

XBox 2 is a DIY for Microsoft

The main reason for this move is of course the cost for Microsoft for the use of these components in the Xbox, which are largely responsible for the high price of the console, making it extra-hard for MS to offer the console at a reduced price. The surprising news is that Microsoft aims not only to develop and produce their own graphics chips, but also the main CPU, by which Microsoft plans to shake off its dependency on X86 suppliers.

Sources say that Microsoft has posted a request for quotation for a DirectX9/10 microcode engine, the part of the chip that decodes and processes DirectX instructions.

Rather receive than pay license fees

Microsoft's move into chip development and production was foreshadowed by their recent acquisition of Silicon Graphics patents. This means that they can implement many features into their chips that otherwise would require licensing, AND it means that other chip manufacturers like ATI and NVidia will have to start paying Microsoft license fees.

MSIL all the way

The CPU for the Xbox 2 is rumoured to be designed to be a processor that can decode and execute instructions in Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) while at the same time being able to run x86 code, to remain compatible with Xbox 1.

Xbox 2, the real "home station?"

Not unlike Sony's drive to develop a "home station" that would function as the center of a home entertainment system, Microsoft plans to make the Xbox 2 the machine that will take over our living rooms, providing not only video game entertainment, but also online functions, and direct-to-disk digital TV recording. Microsoft has deep pockets and may venture on undeterred of the moderate success of Xbox 1, but it may take Xbox 2 or even Xbox 3 or 4 before Microsoft's plan for global domination of our living rooms becomes reality.
    OMG! has ms gone totally insane are they that money hungry all i want is a POWERFUL! video game system and maybe a dvd player here and there no need for the online bs thats wat comps are for
    Heaven Won't Take Me And Hell Is Afraide I'll Take Over

Hidden Content

"He LIved By His Word And He Died For His Word" Rip DZ

Hidden Content

Default Re: Re: Xbox 2 News!

Originally posted by hiter101

OMG! has ms gone totally insane are they that money hungry all i want is a POWERFUL! video game system and maybe a dvd player here and there no need for the online bs thats wat comps are for
    Some people would really prefer to play online thru the Xbox than on a PC. I enjoy PC online games, but Xbox live will surely put an end to that.

Originally posted by huskerman44

MS is.. or you for not seeing his point. I agree.. I hate MS, but I love the Xbox.. what a conundrum
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Screaming for Vengeance NomadLLama's Avatar

Originally posted by DeathKnightMaF
    Where did you get this? I remember reading something like this an extremely long time ago, but it's quite outdated now. Nvidia is still in the picture for Xbox 2.
    ok... i think its still too damn early to talk about Xbox 2. lets get on with some games, XBL and the other things out within the next YEAR. NOT THE NEXT 4 YEARS!

and if microsoft wants to stay competitive against some future opponents (ahem... PS3) then theyll have to stick with the leader, NVidia. or maybe ATi... but this is too early to talk about it.
    ha..

Once XBL people will probably forget about the Xbox 2. For now, it is just something else to talk about. Once XBL is here, this will be full of trash talking and bragging rights.

Thread Information