Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XBox games keep letting me down

What the hell are you complaining about then if you also think ps2's games suck?!?!?! I don't get it....
    And yes, i agree that xbox games are suckin, but it's not any better w/ the other 2 consoles right now...the PC, IMO, is definately the best choice....too bad i don't have enough money to upgrade my computer every yr.-yr. and a half....

Originally posted by Arven
    I feel pretty much the same. In the summer of 2001, I was very hopeful and excited about Xbox's future. Now -- another summer later -- I am looking forward again to November, only this time with less hope and more impatience. Game after game has fallen flat for me.

Granted, I'm not the easiest person to please. I don't care much for sports or fighting games, and most racing games get dull to me after a few hours. The only two Xbox games that have lived up to my expectations have been Halo and Morrowind.

Now that I've finally gotten a decent PC, I will probably be playing mostly on that, until November rolls around again.
    I hate to support this idea but I feel that a lot of games lately have severely fallen short as well...and the only ones I have actually enjoyed have been games that seem to have bugs in them. Why is this accepted?? Splashdown was a game I truly enjoyed...sure its simple racing, but it looks amazing, the control is wicked and the tracks are pretty cool. Great game, but the thing crashes...

Anyway lately Buffy and Turok have been the two that have kept my attention. Other than that the past year has been somewhat dismal for quality titles. BTW I would never buy a console for a certain game...I could care less about that, I just want good games...and they aren't producing them enough right now.

Its hard to look at the release list and think which title is going to disappoint me next. I don't want to, but it happens...
    What do you mean, "I hurt your feelings"?
    I didn't know you had any feelings.

Arven,
    Sounds like you are as picky a gamer as myself. I have been a long time gamer. I have seen/done so much, that it really takes something special to get me juiced up now.

I remember the first time I played Command and Conquer. That sucked me in or Diablo on the internet, yea! I'll never forget playing Gunship, Duke Nuke'Em, Wing Commander, Zork, Quake, X-Wing, Syndicate, Warcraft, and the list goes on and on........

Some of the developers are going backwards in their innovation or gameplay; EA Sports comes to mind.

I think the graphics whores of the gaming world have somewhat thrust this upon us. I personally will except less then cutting edge graphics when the game has other feature like an appealing story, perfect controls, and a polished feel.

But, with todays game review web sites, hype, previews, magazines, and almost instant word of mouth when its released on how it looks, the developers are scared their game will be labeled "Dated look". People will not buy it then. This results in the developer changing graphics engines multiple times during the development phase and more times than not leading to game that just doesn't play right.

A complete overhaul is okay on some type of games. FPS come to mind because you already have a basic story and weapon types all lined up. And, the FPS game basically is all about the engine and multiplayer, isn't it? Anyone with a level editor and modding skills knows how much you can carv a FPS into the game you want and others will enjoy.

Other games are more then just graphics. It takes time, effort, and skill to develop. I couldn't imagine what its like to have a complete overhaul of their main graphic code mid way thru devolping. That must throw some serious wrenches at the game's creator.

Anyways, I think most of the games I listed in my original post suffered because of the developer. Maybe my thread should have been more developer attacking then XBox pointed.

Bob

Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
    xbob, your right....you made some valid points. the disapointment factor seems to be high....but, i'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet. Dude, this is just the first year. This fall season is going to have some kick @ss games. I still think that microsoft is too loose with it's quality control gamewise.....
    The first year on the Dreamcast seemed better to me. Then again, Sega is one of my favorite developers.

I agree, this fall is where its going to really get good.

Again, I agree. There are some Quality Control issues going on somewhere. I don't know if its Microsoft though.

Originally posted by The X is here
    What the hell are you complaining about then if you also think ps2's games suck?!?!?! I don't get it....
    And yes, i agree that xbox games are suckin, but it's not any better w/ the other 2 consoles right now...the PC, IMO, is definately the best choice....too bad i don't have enough money to upgrade my computer every yr.-yr. and a half....
    Exactly, PS2 sucks and the XBox is THE console to own. But the PC is still way ahead on my list. And I am hoping that the XBox changes that so that I can leave the upgrades behind myself.

Default Re: XBox games keep letting me down

Originally posted by xbob

No, I will give xbox a few more chances. There are a bunch of games coming the next couple months that look great. Unreal better get here and save my xbox!
    Why would you buy Unreal Championship? Isn't that just another game you could play on your PC (like Morrowind)? I don't have a high tech computer, so, I bought Morrowind for my Xbox and I loved the game.

Also, you keep complaining about how games have a ported feeling to them. Maybe because you keep on buying ports. You didn't mention ever trying Xbox exclusive games like Project Gotham Racing, DOA3, Rallisport Challenge, or Jet Set Radio Future. I haven't played Hunter (except the demo), but lots of people seem to really love this game. It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance.

Buy the way, I thought WSB was the best baseball game ever. And games like Madden and NFL2k3 definitely look a lot better on the Xbox than on the PS2.

You kinda sound like you are just burnt out on videogames. I mean, you think that GTA3 is the only good PS2 game and that Halo is the only good Xbox game. There are a lot more great games for both systems. Or maybe you just don't care for console games and you should go back to buying a new video card every 6 months.

Nonny

Default Re: Re: XBox games keep letting me down

Originally posted by Paradox

Why would you buy Unreal Championship? Isn't that just another game you could play on your PC (like Morrowind)? I don't have a high tech computer, so, I bought Morrowind for my Xbox and I loved the game.

You answered your own question. His pc may suck also.
    And Unreal Championship is Xbox Exclusive. Unreal Tournament 2003 is the PC version, theyre different.

i am getting SO bored with my xbox, i want for oxm, just to see if there are any cool demos to play....but there arent. the last time i played xbox was thursday. i beat the last level of halo under legendary. and now i have.....Nothing to do.
    i am an artist.

Hidden Content

It's nice to see I'm not the only one. I own a Ps2 and Xbox, and of the two consoles, the only games I like are Halo and GTA3.

It's really hard to try new Xbox games where I live. There are only two video rental stores, and only one of them carry Xbox games(an inadequate selection at that). I disliked just about every so-called kill app I have tried for the Ps2 and only really liked GTA3 and Medal of Honor: Frontline(which is Xbox bound).

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

XBox games keep letting me down

Hey, I got an idea...cry about it. Or better yet, dont waste our time and find games that you like.

Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Hey, I got an idea...cry about it. Or better yet, dont waste our time and find games that you like.
    I think a lot of people are feeling disappointed in Xbox offerings. Belittling them only makes you seem like a jerk and does nothing to address the issue.

The real issue is your jadded expectations this is the summer go outside and enjoy the weather.

Originally posted by borka105
    Lets look at SOME xbox EXCLUSIVES right now:

Moto Gp
    Rallisport
    PGR
    Sega GT 2002
    Crazy Taxi 3
    Buffy
    Dead to Rights
    Hunter the Reckoning
    Halo
    Munch's oddysee
    Outlaw Golf
    Morrowind

these are 12 exclusives that I can think of out of about 25-30 so far.

These games aside from the 100+ out are a reason to own an xbox.

Plus go to xbox.ign.com , click on release and check out the xbox release list.

Lets see you make another thread like this, after you look at that list.

I guarantee that by Sept- November you will be broke.

-Borka105
    Let's see. This is the reason why I bought my PS2.

Ace Combat 4
    HIgh Heat 2003
    ATV Offroad Fury
    Baldur's Gate: DA
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    Dark Cloud
    Devil May Cry
    Dynasty Warriors 3
    FFX
    GT3
    GTA3
    Half-life
    HSG3
    ICO
    Jak and Daxter
    Dues Ex: The Consipracy
    Kinetica
    Medal of Honor: Frontline
    Midnight Club
    Moto GP2
    NBA Street
    Onimusha: Warlords
    Onimusha 2
    Red Faction
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Silent Hill 2
    Smuggler's Run 2
    SSX
    SSX Tricky
    Timesplitters
    THPS3
    TM: B
    SOCOM
    VF4
    Wipeout Fuzion
    Z.O.E.
    Sega Sports Tennis

That's my reason for owning a PS2.

Originally posted by CanadianPimp

Let's see. This is the reason why I bought my PS2.

Ace Combat 4
    HIgh Heat 2003
    ATV Offroad Fury
    Baldur's Gate: DA
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    Dark Cloud
    Devil May Cry
    Dynasty Warriors 3
    FFX
    GT3
    GTA3
    Half-life
    HSG3
    ICO
    Jak and Daxter
    Dues Ex: The Consipracy
    Kinetica
    Medal of Honor: Frontline
    Midnight Club
    Moto GP2
    NBA Street
    Onimusha: Warlords
    Onimusha 2
    Red Faction
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Silent Hill 2
    Smuggler's Run 2
    SSX
    SSX Tricky
    Timesplitters
    THPS3
    TM: B
    SOCOM
    VF4
    Wipeout Fuzion
    Z.O.E.
    Sega Sports Tennis

That's my reason for owning a PS2.
    Let's have a hearty round of applause for the mighty "Non Sequitur Man!" ladies and gents..............
    The HERCULES of hate!
    The SAMSON of spite!
    Love him with money or he'll hate you with fists!

Default Re: Re: XBox games keep letting me down

Originally posted by Paradox

The games are going to be different. Also, as I stated before, I am out of the video card upgrade buiseness. Not to mention my main reason for console gaming is to have it on a big screen while sitting on a comfy couch with friends.

Take a look at my website, www.erols.com/rmahle and tell me you wouldn't want to play some Xbox in there.

Also, you keep complaining about how games have a ported feeling to them. Maybe because you keep on buying ports. You didn't mention ever trying Xbox exclusive games like Project Gotham Racing, DOA3, Rallisport Challenge, or Jet Set Radio Future. I haven't played Hunter (except the demo), but lots of people seem to really love this game. It doesn't sound like you gave it much of a chance.
    Actually, I did mention Project Gotham is next on my list. I am excited about what I've read and will buy my first racing game ever.

Hunter has potential but not for my $50. Maybe when I can get it used for $25 it will be in my collection.

Buy the way, I thought WSB was the best baseball game ever. And games like Madden and NFL2k3 definitely look a lot better on the Xbox than on the PS2.
    WSB is great. I have played Earl Weaver Baseball (LOL), The original Hardball on the C64, Pete Rose's Baseball (yes, before he was banned), Old-Time Baseball, Triple Puke, and High Heat PC. It ranks 1 or 2.
    There were a few bugs I think they will iron out for next year. I had it on a 5 day rental so don't hold me to this, but I seem to remember a lot of wierd over the head/back to the plate style catches in the infield. One or two would be okay but there was too many hapening in 9 innings. I also recall not being able to walk at all. But, this may have been totally a skill factor on my part and changed as I got better with the gameplay. WSB is worth $50 now. I do not like to buy the same sports games each and every year so I opted to get it next year.

You kinda sound like you are just burnt out on videogames. I mean, you think that GTA3 is the only good PS2 game and that Halo is the only good Xbox game. There are a lot more great games for both systems. Or maybe you just don't care for console games and you should go back to buying a new video card every 6 months.
    You are right. I am burned out of putting up with rushed, buggy, thoughtless games. I'd rather do something else with my time.
    But, put a great game in front of me and I can't think of many things I'd rather do.

Thread Information