Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I found a GREAT deal on a router, is it any good?

alright i realize that you don't need 2 ip if you are using xbox and the computer with say xbox connect but are you sure the same is true for xbox live? So far everything that I have heard suggests that xbox requires its very own ip address aside from your computer. I may be wrong about this but thats just what I heard.

My current set-up is just cable modem to uplink input of hub and then hub to xbox and to my pc. I got the hub to use for xbox connect because i have no other need for it yet since I only have one computer. Most likely it will stay that way for a while too so I don't need to worry about too much traffic or needing an internet connect for 2 pcs. But once again I want to clarify that you are positive that xbox doesn't need its own ip and a hub will work fine for xbox live. If you are right then thank you so unbelievably much because I will be so happy if I can have them both connected and don't have to buy anything new. On the other hand if you are wrong....... i won't mind toooo much everyone screws up every once in a while.

mael....I didn't see that router on sale anymore at best buy. I was looking over the weekend to see if they still had it but the cheapest one was like $50.

Originally posted by split511
    alright i realize that you don't need 2 ip if you are using xbox and the computer with say xbox connect but are you sure the same is true for xbox live? So far everything that I have heard suggests that xbox requires its very own ip address aside from your computer. I may be wrong about this but thats just what I heard.

My current set-up is just cable modem to uplink input of hub and then hub to xbox and to my pc. I got the hub to use for xbox connect because i have no other need for it yet since I only have one computer. Most likely it will stay that way for a while too so I don't need to worry about too much traffic or needing an internet connect for 2 pcs. But once again I want to clarify that you are positive that xbox doesn't need its own ip and a hub will work fine for xbox live. If you are right then thank you so unbelievably much because I will be so happy if I can have them both connected and don't have to buy anything new. On the other hand if you are wrong....... i won't mind toooo much everyone screws up every once in a while.
    I don't have XBL, but from what others have said that are in the beta test then you will be fine with your current setup. I would PM some of the guys that have XBL already and ask them the question. That way you won't get all the tons of conflicting info that you have gotten on this thread.
    Here's how bad I suck

Don't get a free IPOD - Hidden Content

old sig Made by professor_frink he is the sig man!
    http://hosting.reversedreality.com/user_images/jschelm/sig.jpg

Split,

It's in the weekly ad here in Oklahoma City, it may not be on sale in the stores where you live. However, the BB website has it on sale as well (with free shipping!).

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=540&scat=1574

Everything I have heard, including from Microsoft itself (1-800 4MY-XBOX, call them and ask), indicates that XBL WILL require it's own IP. For most this means a router or some sort of proxy setup. Not many ISP's allow extra IP's for free, but by all means call your ISP and ask.

--Mael

Thread Information