Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best RPG ever?

Mine used to be the three-headed SNES RPG dragon (FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger). Current fave is Morrowind.
    Yep, another TXB member visting while the site's down.

Best PC RPG: Neverwinter Nights
    Best Console RPG: Phantasy Star Online
    Best Old Skool RPG: Tie between FF3 and FF Tactics

Best Overall: Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind is better on the PC because u can create and download maps and scenarios

Originally posted by Tkf5000
    greatest rpg of past: eye of the beholder series
    greatest rpg of now:morrowind
    you're kidding about that Morrowind right? Of the now it's Morrowind, I prefer FFX or FFXI before that

Originally posted by GunLink
    I prefer FFX or FFXI before that
    This is a "best RPG" thread, not a "best action-rip-off of a formerly good RPG series" thread.

-Big Ben

I played Morrowing for 3 months strait, beat the main quest a,d maxed out my char stats. It is by far the best rpg that I have ever played in my long video gaming history( i'm almost 30). Too bad us XBOX owners will not be getting the expansion pack (Tribunal) as it is for p.c. only. *wishin my computer wasn't such an outdated piece'o'crap*

XBOX is the shiznit!!!
    "he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword"

with out a doubt in my mind FF7 takes the cake, bakes another one, gives it to someone and then takes that cake too it's story alone blows 90% of other RPG's away
    the silkiest slutt,
    Mr Fancy Nipples

Hidden Content

He ain't yo momma's fancy

7 wasn't an RPG... It was an action game based on an RPG. It's like calling Diablo an RPG just because it was similar to Ultima. RPGs are not defined by leveling or by gaining experience or by character classes and races. Those can be part of an RPG, but what defines an RPG is being able to actually play a role. Not just wander around hacking and slashing your way through stuff. If you can call Doom or Halo an RPG, then it would be ok to call FF7 and beyond RPGs.

-Big Ben

Obviosly a large pointy rock damaged your spinal cord at some point in your life cause your makin no sense. Final Fantasy 7 is definitly an RPG, its no where near a hack and slash, the battles are turn based just to start off with. 2nd you do assume a role, you can change the peoples names and go where you please, you do follow a story line (over 70 hours of it) but theres so much stuff in the world you can skip over or go in search of for extras, I'm not sure what you consider an RPG or if you even know what RPG means......does any one else think this kids a moron? Please don't respond to my posts unless you have a slight inkling of whats goin on, it would be greatly appriciated
    the silkiest slutt,
    Mr Fancy Nipples

Hidden Content

He ain't yo momma's fancy

Originally posted by MrFancyNipples
    does any one else think this kids a moron?
    Yes.

IMO, there are 2 RPGS styles. The japanese (FF style) and "American" rpg which is has more emphasis on freeform do what you want. I like to play both personally...
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

If you want to talk American RPGs, you're going to be talking about games like Might & Magic, Ultima, Possibly Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, and other games like that. FF7 and the rest of the FF series for PS and beyond don't fit the mold. I'm not saying they're bad games, but they aren't real RPGs. In fact, many people argue that RPGs can't be done on computers or video game systems at all, but even I don't agree with that view.

Personally, I don't see a difference between FF7 and Dead to Rights or Max Payne (besides setting). They both do the exact same thing: 3rd person hack and slash with fancy FMV stuck in between as eye candy.

Any RPG where you can take away the game part and still enjoy it solely as a story is a real RPG. The others are just pretenders.

-Big Ben

These are my favorites dragon warrior final fantasy seventh saga phantasy star morrowind

Shenmue, Shenmue II, and Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Exclamation Great RPG age.

Morrowind is the greatest RPG.
    Project Ego/Fable will be the greatest in 2003.
    Neo

Fallout followed by Fallout 2.
    Hidden Content

What the world, needs now, is love, sweet love!

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

Originally posted by Jason-XBA
    Fallout followed by Fallout 2.

I never played fallout or fallout 2, but from what i hear and see, its not really an rpg...but what do I know...

Morrowind by far PC version is best, though
    I own Spiderman, Halo, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, TH2X, Blood Omen2, Amped, Dark Summit, SSX Tricky, Azurik, Max Payne, Amped, Splashdown, Crazy Taxi 3, Dead to Rights, Toejam&Earl3, TH4, Myst 3, Hunter the Reckoning, Pirates, Test Drive and Morrowind on XBox.
    Systems are Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64 and GameBoy Advance Hidden Content

morrowind if the only one that I have seriously sat down and played for hours at a time. It is the best and the most captivating in my opinion.

I've been playing it for months Can't get enough of it Morrowind has got to be the best game all around as far as rpg's go.
    I own Spiderman, Halo, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, TH2X, Blood Omen2, Amped, Dark Summit, SSX Tricky, Azurik, Max Payne, Amped, Splashdown, Crazy Taxi 3, Dead to Rights, Toejam&Earl3, TH4, Myst 3, Hunter the Reckoning, Pirates, Test Drive and Morrowind on XBox.
    Systems are Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64 and GameBoy Advance Hidden Content

Originally posted by Big Ben
    This is a "best RPG" thread, not a "best action-rip-off of a formerly good RPG series" thread.

-Big Ben
    sorry my FF fanboy friend was typing in my name. I'm not too into RPGs to begin but these are the one's I particularly enjoyed.

I liked Super Mario RPG, Grandia II, Skies Of Arcadia.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

I hate people who think games like Shenmue and Final Fantasy and all that crap are RPG's...they are action games, linear action games! Thats like saying Max Payne, Dead to Rights, and Bloodrayne are rpg's as well. Just because you can build up the characters does not make it an rpg. RPG is a Role Playing Game, where you play the role of YOUR CHARACTER, not some dude in the game already...and most of all, RPG's need freedom. You cannot roleplay if you're stuck in a linear world forced to do certain things at certain times...

Thread Information