Thread: Socom is Awesome

Thumbs up Socom is Awesome

I'm not trying to incite a war by saying this but Socom is an Awesome game. If you have both systems, you would be doing yourself a displeasure by not purchasing this game. You can read my posts, I'm not a PS2 fanboy, nor am I an XBOX fanboy. I thought about it long and hard and in my opinion, this game may have taken Halo for the top spot in my book. The online play is smooth with no noticeable lag and the in-game voice chat works flawlessly (except on D-Link routers, I had to purchase a cheap linksys router to get voice through, something about the default settings on a D-Link, even DMZ didn't work, the necessary ports are closed by default.) Anyone else played this game, post your opinions here. Don't knock it till you try it.
    "Sorry Goose, It's Time to Buzz the Tower."

The only complaint I've heard is with the mic that comes with it. I heard it takes forever to "learn" your voice for the commands and that it isn't the most comfortable.
    jamesx_2k of TXB
    Hidden Content

Too bad no one can play it
    TXB Member
    Hidden Content

Questions.

Is there a monthly fee to play the game online, and if not how in the hell are the dev's going to afford to run the servers? Sony doesn't run the servers.

How much is the hard drive/ modem kit which allows you to play online?

How many people can play on one server?

Thanks.
    I don't have a signature yet.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

This thread does not belong here.

Default retards!

SOCOM is wrong they dont have athouity to make field decitions. a proper title would me Navy Seals: NAVSPECWARCOM because thats how the chain of command goes. so the devlopers are morons!
    Currently playing: Max Payne(Xbox)

Default Re: Socom is Awesome

Originally posted by Maverick_23
    I'm not trying to incite a war by saying this but Socom is an Awesome game. If you have both systems, you would be doing yourself a displeasure by not purchasing this game. You can read my posts, I'm not a PS2 fanboy, nor am I an XBOX fanboy. I thought about it long and hard and in my opinion, this game may have taken Halo for the top spot in my book. The online play is smooth with no noticeable lag and the in-game voice chat works flawlessly (except on D-Link routers, I had to purchase a cheap linksys router to get voice through, something about the default settings on a D-Link, even DMZ didn't work, the necessary ports are closed by default.) Anyone else played this game, post your opinions here. Don't knock it till you try it.
    You'll have to use port-forwarding. No need to purchase a different router! Although I prefer Linksys routers, that was a waste of money.

Originally posted by Xaminor
    Questions.

Is there a monthly fee to play the game online, and if not how in the hell are the dev's going to afford to run the servers? Sony doesn't run the servers.

How many people can play on one server?

Thanks.

There is no monthly fee. I have no clue how the developers run the servers.

40 bucks.

Not sure about the whole server, but in one game up to 16 people can play.

Nomb,
    You're right, I do need to forward the ports but as of now no information is available as to what ports are used. I have tried DMZ but for some reason d-link's routers must be keeping those particular ports closed even in DMZ. I have tried opening so many ports with no luck. I'm hoping someone will figure out which one soon so I can return that Linksys router, I like the router but my D-Link supports wireless.
    "Sorry Goose, It's Time to Buzz the Tower."

Default I dont think so

I think the internet hook up kit is $39.99, but the Hard drive for Sony is gonanbe like $130. they are not one and the same.

Default Re: I dont think so

Originally posted by pimpineezhoes
    I think the internet hook up kit is $39.99, but the Hard drive for Sony is gonanbe like $130. they are not one and the same.
    Here's the solid facts. Their charging for their broadband connection. 56 k is free. The modem has a port for cable and a standard phone modem
    Hidden Content
    Turok: Evolution kicks serious ass!!!
    Hidden Content
    So does Enclave!!!!!
    Hidden Content

Xaminor wrote:
    it seemed like he was trying to bundle the hard drive and the modem kit into one thing, and they are two totaly different things. The hard drive hasnt come out yet to my knowledge. And when it does I believe it is $130.

I dont understand your statement :
    Their charging for their broadband connection
    How can they charge for the broadband connection? I mean if you have to buy the modem kit you have payed $39.99. You saying they charge you monthly to use your broadband connection. I know nothign about PS2 being online in those regards.

To play SOCOM it cost you $100 bucks off the bat, I know because that's how much I payed. $40 for the adaptor, and $60 for the SOCOM game...
    I bought it last week when the adaptor came out and I thought it sucked until last night, last night was the first time I got the dam thing to work, I am really bad at it but I had a great game.. The voice works well, not as well as Xbox Live though...
    If you have a PS2 and broadband this game is a must have for now... My honest opinion is this will keep you occupied until Live launches with some great titles in a few months... I'm a beta tester and Live is awesome but with the limited supply of titles it gets a little boring. SOCOM gives me the FPS fix that I need until I can get some awesome Xbox Live titles...

PS2 Online has nothing on Xbox, NOTHING

Thread Information