Thread: Regarding The Halo 2 Trailer and WMP 9

The Frew-its of the Devil

Shocked Regarding The Halo 2 Trailer and WMP 9

Did anyone else read that artical that talks about how WMP 9 is supposed to work. That your supposed to contact Microshaft anytime you want to use the program, and they have to verify that you got your media from a legal source. I'd read that MS is trying to make it so that even if you buy a DVD and try to play it on your computer, not only do you have to contact them in order to watch the movie, but you only get a limited viewing time, and amounts of viewings according to what THEY think is right. Since when does MS have a say in what products I buy. Why is it they seem to want to make theirs that which I have purchased with MY money. I don't think I'll be downloading WMP 9 for that. As soon as I find the artical I'd read, I'll post the link here. I'm gonna go scouring for it now. Let me know what you think.
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Afraid for your warez laden pc?
    Well if .net and longhorn get out be afraid,very.

Gamerscore Whore

Its like any other microsoft program now adays. You must activate it with microsoft to use it. But I am under the assumption this is a one time deal. Sorry Kazaa guys, you should have known better.

Originally posted by beserker
    Afraid for your warez laden pc?
    Well if .net and longhorn get out be afraid,very.
    haha, that is one is actually very funny, but so true...

That limited viewing time is a bunch of crap. If I buy a DVD I'm gonna watch it as much as I want to.
    "Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work at it."

http://thetechnozone.com/pcbuyersgui...stem/WMP9.html

The RMA stuff in this artical.

To berserker, Yes guy, every one who has a concern for their privacy is stealing something or doing something wrong. Your a bright one aren't ya. Since you got all the answers, how come all you did was post a useless quip and not something constructive? Fact of the matter being, that I don't download movies off the net, I'm not some poor little punk who can't afford to go to the movies, especially since the majority of absolutely everything that comes out at the flicks is nothing but complete and total moronic clap trap (such as the Mummy Returns, Triple X, Fast and the Furious and the worthless like). So I don't steal whats not worth owning. My worry resides completely and totally with one thing. Them having control over my PURCHASED CONTENT. I don't want to buy a DVD only to be able to watch it once, or when Microsoft wants to let me. I don't want to download the Halo 2 trailer only to be able to watch it once and not show my brothers. So just prove your a better man a walk away and let the adults discuss this topic.
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Frenchy with attitude!

Default Re: Regarding The Halo 2 Trailer and WMP 9

Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
    Did anyone else read that artical that talks about how WMP 9 is supposed to work. That your supposed to contact Microshaft anytime you want to use the program, and they have to verify that you got your media from a legal source. I'd read that MS is trying to make it so that even if you buy a DVD and try to play it on your computer, not only do you have to contact them in order to watch the movie, but you only get a limited viewing time, and amounts of viewings according to what THEY think is right. Since when does MS have a say in what products I buy. Why is it they seem to want to make theirs that which I have purchased with MY money. I don't think I'll be downloading WMP 9 for that. As soon as I find the artical I'd read, I'll post the link here. I'm gonna go scouring for it now. Let me know what you think.
    This is just grand ma's anti-microsoft propagenda. There is no such thing as limited view. It's bull****. someone just wanted to start this rumor.

You'll soon see it for yourself, tonight when WMV comes available for halo 2 trailer.
    Hidden Content

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

thats dumb, but who cares? theres a ton more programs that can play wav files, mpg, mpeg, avi, etc. files. you dont need windows media player.

I read the story but I take it to mean that copyright owners can limit how their product is used. I guess you would be told about any limits up front before you buy/ download.

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
    thats dumb, but who cares? theres a ton more programs that can play wav files, mpg, mpeg, avi, etc. files. you dont need windows media player.
    True, but very few if any other players play WMV and WMA. I'm sure they'll have a great deal of WMV and WMA only products (and the 6 channel surround with 480p sounds great for streaming products). I just hope that very little changes.

Originally poseted by plpkb
    I read the story but I take it to mean that copyright owners can limit how their product is used. I guess you would be told about any limits up front before you buy/ download.
    As long as I'm told I can avoid such products. BTW that was not the article I'd read, but the only one google could find even remotely related to the topic. I will still continue to scour the net for the exact article but I go to so many Tech sites that it's hard to remember which one had a particular bit of info. THX for the (relevant) feedback yall.

Thread Information