Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timesplitters 2 is the best

Default Timesplitters 2 is the best

OH WOW! Timesplitters 2 is the funnest game I've ever played. For fun factor, this game easily tops them all. I've been playing for the last 4 hours and the features are endless.

After playing for only 30 minutes, I found myself racing against the clock, lobbing as many bricks as I could through the windows. These types of games are the challenges which I think are the most creative minigames I've experienced yet.

This game has the style and grace of GoldenEye and the fun and features of Perfect Dark. It's counting every bullet I shoot, every head I take off, and insomnia--it tells me the longest sitting I've had with Timesplitters. It's fun playing for an hour and seeing that I've already racked up 15,000 shots and 376 broken windows.

Oh did I mention that the monkey is a playable caracter in multiplayer. The demo couldnt have possibly done this game enough justice.

If you have any questions about Timesplitters I'll answer.

Please tell me as much as possible about the mapmaker. I want to know how robust the editor is.
    When it's hot and sticky, that's no time for dinky dunking, but when the frost gets on the pumpkin, THAT'S the time for dinky dunking.

Hidden Content

YES
    timesplitters 2 is a must have.........
    MAp editor?
    u serious
    is it a fps?
    i saw it on TV
    graphics how does it compare to halo

Hey Mercury, you asked a really good question. I spent the last hour or so understanding the mapmaker. I'll try to do it justice. It alone is worth paying $50--it's truly a gaming spectacle.

The map editor is extremely robust. So robust that they have an advanced mode and a beginner mode, just so you can get the hang of map making and for people who dont have a chance with the far more complicated advanced mode.

In advanced mode, there are 7 possible floors to design on. On each floor, there is a 40 by 40 grid, in which a room can be placed in each--that's 40x40x7=11,200 places for a room! In the grids you can place tiles (rooms from 1 to 16 grid squares), there are 20 2-floored tiles to place on the grid. You can choose different themed tiles too--virual, industrial, victorian, and alien.

Items can also be placed in each room/tile section--start points, 5 possible guns (you can customize the guns or choose assorted, plasma, conventional, explosives, firestarter, retro, neon, rockets, and mapmaker), Health n' Armor (4 types), power-ups (shrink, maximum damage, speed up, and invisible), 5 different colored teleports, bags n' bases, object (crates, gun turret!, and auto gun), 4 key/keycards, and zones. When you select a specific tile, you have many various places in the tile to choose from in which you can place the item.

Then you can give each tile its own lighting. You can set a fixed, flixer, switch, or pulse mode of lighting in the room. Then you can set the pace of the lighting at either slow, medium or fast. Finally you have from 64 lighting colors to choose from. Keep in mind, each tile can have its own specific lighting.

You can also set the music with 50 selections to choose from.

Now the mapmaking get truly complicated and remarkable. I can only attempt to describe the rest of the features. You have to experience the mapmaker for yourself to understand how overwhelming it is...

...Story Enemies--you can choose from 10 different enemies to place in certain areas of your map. When choosing enemies, you can choose the enemy type, the gun they will shoot with, their attack pattern (whether they stand, search, shoot, etc.), the maximum times the enemy can spawn, the frequency of spawn (how many seconds it'll take to spawn the enemy). Also you can set the type of enemies--freaks, living dead, lovely ladies, military, classic leads, sidekicks, hairy faces, custom, or misfits.

Then comes Game Logic. Here you can choose triggers and actions for your map. In game logic, you can set up story modes. You'll be able to set up objectives where you have to interact with a particular object, there's a pick up option, a timer where you can set the countdown, emeny--e.g. kill this particular enemy, also location, counter, and score settings can be set. Game Logic is far too complicated for me at this point, but it basically gives your particular map depth and meaning. Game Logic basically allows you to use your map for a deathmatch, bag tag, capture the bag, flame tag, zones, or story play.

You can even give your map a description and a level briefing!

The mapmaker is easy to use too. You can zoom-in, move the map around, copy and paste, highlight a tile--you can then open a view of that particular tile and place items/objects and rotate the room.

The options and creativity allowed by the mapmaker seem limitless. If you want a game with a good mapmaker, THIS IS THE ALPHA AND OMEGA OF IN-GAME MAPMAKERS.

If you still have questions about a specific feature or a general question about Timesplitters feel free to ask.

bust a nut

damn, i may have to pick this game up

After seeing all the rave reviews and now this, I'll have to pick this one up.

davidx

Smile

i can't believe people claimed this gamed sucked a$$!

Goes to show -- ya can't judge a game by its demo.

X

Fowlowl, thanks a lot for that in depth mapmaker description. You rock. And so does this game by the sound of it. I will be picking it up soon.

Thanks again!
    When it's hot and sticky, that's no time for dinky dunking, but when the frost gets on the pumpkin, THAT'S the time for dinky dunking.

Hidden Content

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

The map maker is the only think that makes me want to get this game.

Originally posted by hiddenagender
    graphics how does it compare to halo
    Compared to halo, it looks like crap. textures and flat and blurry, etc.

But Halo graphics compared to other games is crap.

Originally posted by davidx
    i can't believe people claimed this gamed sucked a$$!

Goes to show -- ya can't judge a game by its demo.

X

Thats true if all you guys are raving about this game, because I played the demo and it blew goats . . . . . . i mean when I reloaded the pistol I heard some cheesy sound effect and pistol goes off the screen and comes back with a new clip . . . . . Hope they changed that.
    Your off the squad!
    Take That!

OppiumNitrates, no they didnt change the reload. But when you start playing the crazy multiplayer shoot outs, you quickly realize why they did that. It's for the sake of gameplay--TS2 stresses multiplayer fun, so it does not want you to wait for reloading to start shooting again.

And trust me, when you have all your friends shooting like madness, you'll appreciate the quick reload. The game is so fast and furious that you wont even notice the cheezy reload sequence.

Let me just say they more than make up for it with the features that the guns offer. The minigun, wow, when you use it you have to let the minigun rotate for a little bit before you start mowing people down. But with the second fire--left trigger--you can let it warm up continuously spinning and fire when you're ready. The weapons are awesome. Oppium, they're so beautifully created that you'll easily forgive the reload sequences. I just got a new weapon added to multiplayer. It's a brick!

Also the game has been changed from the demo a little bit. I beat Siberia so many times on the demo that I was very suprised when a turret gun blasted me away.

Another drawback are the visuals...they all look fuzzy or blurred out...but them again, they had to make this for the PS2, so that explains it...

I tried the demo, and the game seemed pretty cool. However, I HATED the way that the gun sways back and forth when you try to aim instead of staying centered. I didn't like it at first, but I think I could get used to it. If I buy this game, it will be primarily for the multiplayer options. If it's as deep as Perfect Dark, I should pick it up. I've got some questions about the mapmaker, and I think that FOWL could best answer them unless some other people have input.

*Can you put doors in the rooms-for hiding and stuff?
    *Is it possible to create bridges or walkways or crow's nests or those type of structures (like the 4 crow's nests in Area 51 of Perfect Dark that's surrounded the trough)?
    *Can you design ledges and that type of thing, or are the levels that you create just room after room inside a "box"....I assume that you can make ramps to other levels?
    *What are some really cool things that you can make and do in the mapmaker?
    *Full stat record?
    *Is there a laptop gun or equivalent?

thanks a lot
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle."

Originally posted by samslophead
    *Can you put doors in the rooms-for hiding and stuff?
    *Is it possible to create bridges or walkways or crow's nests or those type of structures (like the 4 crow's nests in Area 51 of Perfect Dark that's surrounded the trough)?
    *Can you design ledges and that type of thing, or are the levels that you create just room after room inside a "box"....I assume that you can make ramps to other levels?
    *What are some really cool things that you can make and do in the mapmaker?
    *Full stat record?
    *Is there a laptop gun or equivalent?

thanks a lot
    Id also like to know if some cool things can be added...like windows and doors, etc...?

The true depth of the mapmaker is seen when you realize that the maps you make can be designed for a multiplayer frag fest or a single player mission. And the mapmaker offers a lot of variety to how you want your map used. The most impressive features of the mapmaker is game logic (make the map into a level) and story enemies where you can place enemies in various locations at different settings.

The map is also unbelievably huge. You can place tiles (rooms) all over the map. But the main weakness of the mapmaker is that your rooms have to be chosen from a number of preset rooms (20). Which means no designing ledges, bridges, or windows in particular parts of the rooms. If you want a hallway you have to choose a hallway; if you want an open room you can choose an open room. While you cant build structures, there are plenty of objects (like crates), guns, enemies, ammo, health, and lighting to add to your tile. Each tile takes memory, and I think being able to design the rooms however you wanted would have taken too much memory. I dont know.

But you can be real creative with tiles. You can even place a closed room without doors and use a teleport to access it. Making the entire 7 floor, 1600 square grid map connect from floor to floor is difficult, so having teleports you can add to different parts of the map which dont connect makes things a little easier.

As for guns like the lap top gun, you can place gun turrets and auto guns all over your map. Also for your weapons, you can customize them. Which means you can select 5 weapons to place in your map; you start from 33 weapons to choose from, but you can unlock weapons--I just unlocked the brick.

You can also place keys and zones, so there's a lot to the mapmaker that i havent learned yet.

As for full stat record for the mapmaker, I dont think so. But for playing Single Player, Arcade, and Challenge games, Timesplitters 2 keeps track of a lot of interesting stats like bullets fired, head taken off, favorite multiplayer used, insomnia record, etc. The descriptions after multiplayer fights are back. And stats will keep track of the ones you are give--I have most flammable for example. Also in the challenges and arcade league, there are trophies you collect and that the stats keep track of.

One of my favorite stats in TS2 is the character page. It has over 100 players. It shows the ones that are playable and have been unlocked, and has like 100 dark squares waiting for the player to be unlocked.

There's a lot to unlock in TS2, and they'll make sure you know that.

that's too bad about the windows and ledges thing....thanks for the info......maybe I'll pick the game up

Is there a way you can turn off look spring (ie have exact halo controlls for movement and looking??)

Ouber, does look spring mean that your guy centers his sights after you move them in a direction. I was wondering that too. It's good sometimes, but also a pain in the @ss. I want the controls to be as much like Halo as possible, so I don't feel awkward when I move from one game to the other.

The Heavenly Addict!!!

I bought this game yesterday and I don't know why people don't like the grapgics. I think they are really nice. I am playing on a 36" via s-video and the grapgics rock. And yes, the map editor gives this game UNLIMITED replay value. It's nominee for game of the year

I want it for multiplayer fun, but i don't know what will be better......this or Unreal C. I have Unreal tourney for my PC, and I like it a lot, but I think that Timesplitters will end up being more fun in multiplayer

Thread Information