Thread: Xbox Controller XXL Dead?

Default Xbox Controller XXL Dead?

from: http://www.gamepro.com/index.html?/m...homepage.shtml

I do like the "S" better (DoA 3 and Sega GT) but I still like the XXL for Halo and it (this might be silly) reminds me of the cold nights last winter with my buddy Mike playing Halo co-op day and night. That's a grate memory. I have 2 XXL and one "S". I will buy one more "S" soon.

Xbox Controller XXL Dead

11-OCT-02
    Eagle-eyed readers may have noted our story about the Xbox/Sega bundle package Microsoft is launching next week. This, as it turns out, is part of a larger shift in Microsoft's strategy—starting with the bundle, the company will gradually phase out the original Xbox controller, packing their systems instead with Controller S from now on. The new strategy, confirmed by Microsoft representatives earlier today, apparently came as a direct result of consumer criticism.
    The Xbox's controller has been the target of controversy among game freaks ever since the system came out last November. A random Google search turns up everything from measured criticism ("unwieldy, uncomfortable, and difficult to use") to slightly less measured derision ("Apparently, to own an Xbox, you must have the hands of a large ape"). The Controller S was originally designed exclusively for the Xbox's Japanese release, but was released in America several weeks after the Japan launch. The smaller, more comfortable pad now actually outsells the original controller hands down in NPD's accessory ranking list.

Production of the so-called "Controller XXL" has already ceased, and the only way you can get your hands on a new one now is in a non-bundled Xbox system. (Don't forget the DVD kit refund offer, either.) Microsoft said that they will decide whether to dump the original controller forever sometime after Christmas.

So which package to buy? A tough choice, admittedly, but your hands will thank you immensely if you opt for the Controller S bundle. Trust us; we know.
    Sunlight splatters dawn with answers
    Darkness shrugs and bids the day good-bye

i have no problem with the "XXL" controller. thats why i never tried the "S". if it aint broke, dont fix it.....

of course later on i might have to be forced into getting and "S" cuz my 2 "XXL" might brake or something....

I have both types and don't really have a preference.

I bought the "S" for my friends who would come over and complain about the larger controller.

My only complaint about the "S" is that you really have to take it apart to clean the inside. it's put together opposite form the larger controller.
    RIP Dave

The original is the best controller, IMO.

H-I-T-E-R........NO L! hiter101's Avatar

i personally like the XXL controller i played with the s controller at my friends house and i cant stadt it it reminded me of the SNES controlled only with more buttons
    Heaven Won't Take Me And Hell Is Afraide I'll Take Over

Hidden Content

"He LIved By His Word And He Died For His Word" Rip DZ

Hidden Content

Wondering Around

controller S hurts my hands just like the piece of rotting horse flesh called the ps2 controller does. I'll go third party if microsoft stops making the normal controller, tried the S, dont like it.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

The S controller fukin sucks. I can never find the black and white buttons, start and "back" are too far away, the thumbsticks move too easily (like the PS2 controller), etc.

I have 4 XXL's and 1 shyt third party one that i had to get cause they didnt have any originals when i bought the system...i'll probably buy another XXL or 2 while I still can, and just keep them in the packaging incase one that I have now breaks or something...who knows, if I dont need it, it might be worth a hell of alot in about 10 years.

I agree.
    the S fricken sucks.

I have one S controller because my brother, and ALL the guys that played my xbox complained (amazingly, the girls that played do not complain at all, and they dont find it large. I even asked them).

When i tried to use the S controller, I cannot reach the black and white buttons without scrunching up my hand in a wierd way, or letting go of my grip on the controller (same with the start and back buttons, but those are not used that often).

I tried playing aggressive inline with that controller, and it totally sucks, since in aggressive inline you have to press the black or white button a lot, and with combinations of the action buttons to do combos tricks etc. TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!1
    Hidden Content
    add, confirm, corrections, PM me

Default hehe

(amazingly, the girls that played do not complain at all, and they dont find it large. I even asked them).
    Hahaha, roflmao, I wonder why they don't complain
    Wazzap yall????

LMFAO! I was just about to say that! LOL!
    Hidden Content "Stack dead actors, stacked to the rafters
    Line up the b*stards all I want is the truth"

I have 2 of each of the controllers... I prefer the way the "S" one feels in my hands and the button placements other than the black and white buttons... I do agree with whats bein said about them... but the large controller makes my hands hurt cuz I have small hands... they get all crampy really fast.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

My only complaint about the XXL controller is that after about 2-3 hours of Dave Mirra 2, my thumb hurts from pressing the buttons so much...

I have 1 S-Controller for the small handed friends who play, they are both ok, but i prefer the original, maybe it's because i'm used to the button placement so much.

Tried playing Halo with the S-controller and couldn't do it.

My hands never hurt with the original, occasionaly they do with the S-Controller.

Try them out for yourself.

Actually i can't wait for the cordless.

Originally posted by Squidpie
    I have 2 of each of the controllers... I prefer the way the "S" one feels in my hands and the button placements other than the black and white buttons... I do agree with whats bein said about them... but the large controller makes my hands hurt cuz I have small hands... they get all crampy really fast.
    dont worry dude when puberty hits ur hands will grow and then perhaps u will be able to enjoy the splendor of the so called xxl controller.i prefer the xxl controller i have 3 controllers the original,the s and the third is a power pad.

Originally posted by PROUDXBOXOWNER

dont worry dude when puberty hits ur hands will grow and then perhaps u will be able to enjoy the splendor of the so called xxl controller.i prefer the xxl controller i have 3 controllers the original,the s and the third is a power pad.
    hhhhhmmmm......maybe he really isn't the same PXO, cuz if he was, he would know how OLD that joke is. its not even funny anymore. dude, if you are the same pxo, you where cool, now your and ass. if you are a new pxo, your an ass.

Default Re: hehe

Originally posted by aaengel

Hahaha, roflmao, I wonder why they don't complain
    Hey.. i didnt even think of that.. you sicko..

So.. what does that say about the guys, hmmmmm???

ROFLMAO!
    Hidden Content
    add, confirm, corrections, PM me

Thread Information