Thread: Videogamers to strike...

Exclamation Videogamers to strike...

Hey,

Firstly, In advanced I am sorry if any infomation contained in this post has already been posted in these forums.

In a UK Xbox magazine, called 'XBM', there is an article about a campaign that is trying to get the price of console games reduced - To keep prices inline with CDs, Videos, etc.

They are proposing to go on a strike between 1 - 8 of December, where they are hoping people will stop buying games.

Here is the article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Death Of Videogames?

A campaign is currently being organised that could revolutionise the videogame industry. Rightly nicknamed 'Fairplay' it is an attempt to bring down the price of videogames into line with other media like CD's and DVD's. The problem is that hardware manufacturers (Microsoft, Song, Nintendo) change license fees to software publishers. This has a knock on effect to you the consumer as well as the games companies who can lose millions when a title doesn't do well. The Fiarplay Campaign is asking videogamers everywhere to stop buying games for one week between 1 - 8 December to show the power of the buyer. Go to http://www.fairplay-campaign.co.uk to find out more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So whos with me on this one?
    Its certainly worth visiting the site for more infomation.
    I agree we are being ripped off!
    For the sake of one week not being able to buy a new game and having the chance to stand up for ourselves I think its worth it. Surly Halo can keep you busy for one more week?

Cheers

Dan

Thats why theres piracy

lol
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Owned And Operated by Yours Truely

RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

Originally posted by Monky
    lol

lol its true though. Why pay $50 for a game, when you can get it for free?

Default Re: Videogamers to strike...

Originally posted by wheatus-frog-uk
    (Microsoft, Song, Nintendo)
    They spelled Sony wrong.

:o oopz.. i guess it was me who spelt sony wrong, not them, LOL

cheers

dan

While the licensing fees certainly add to the cost of games, another reason for the high prices is that since so many games don't do well, they need to make dough when a title does.

Not buying vids for a week is no big deal to me, since I generally only buy 1 a month tops.

I'm all for the price going down, but I don't see it happening in the near future.
    RIP Dave

Default Useless

Yes, this was posted on before. Just like in that other thread, I will again say that this is useless.

The only hope for this to potentially work is to get a large amount of persons to not buy any products UNTIL they drop prices. If you just do it for a week, they'll see a drop in sales, followed by a spike in sales. How again does this force them to do anything? Also - $50 for a game is a problem? Have you really looked at this? How long do you usually play a game? About 20 hours if you're anything like me. That comes out to $2.50 / hour. How again is this expensive? STFD. STFU.

RIPDZ

No chance in hell Im striking, so many games I need that week!
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

but this is in UK guys, not US.

Originally posted by XslayerX
    Yep, it is. Though even if it was here, I would still buy games. Screw them!

I am not buy any games on them dates but I do not think it will do much
    Nothing in life is free, even free Speech comes at a cost.
    We have to hear words we may not like, statements we do not agree with or/& do not wish to hear.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Originally posted by XslayerX
    <---Canada
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Renegade of funk

Not buy games for a week? I'll do it. It'll be easy. I don't buy games all that often, this should be the easiest protest I've ever been involved in.

Default Re: Useless

I have to agree with Midnite on this. Personally, I don't think $50 for a game is that expensive. However, I do look for games that are going to give me more than 20 hours of gameplay.

Another thing you might want to think about wheatus is what lower game prices would do to console prices. It costs a certain amount of money to develop and publish a game. The developer and publisher both have to make a bit of profit or they may have to find another line of work. So, it would seem to me that the only costs you could really reduce would be the fees paid to the console maker. The console makers have to get there money from somewhere, thus higher console prices.

Regarding the "strike", I will do like I always do. If I see a game I like and feel it is of good value to me, I will purchase it. If not, I'll "strike".
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Thanks to AloneInTheDark for the Sig
    Hidden Content
    ESPN NFL VIP Team - Texans

Sleeping

I really don't think that the console and game manufacturer's are really concerned about this, especially with the holiday season coming up. Sales in this market are going to soar as they do every holiday season.

Thread Information