Thread: Mad Catz light gun will NOT work with HDTV or Projectors

Default Mad Catz light gun will NOT work with HDTV or Projectors

Here is an email I got from tech support at Mad Catz:

Hello,
    Unfortunately the answer is no. Currently there is no technology available to make blasters of any kind work for HDTVs or DLP Projectors. At the present time we do have some engineers working on the issue, but it will be some time before they can come up with a working model. If they have any success, expect to see something out there sometime next year. Keep an eye on our website for details. Take care

Jermaine Wright
    Mad Catz
    Customer Support Technician
    That's too bad. I was really looking forward to HOTD3, but I won't buy it if I can't use a light gun.

That does suck. It would have been awesome to try it out on the big screen.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Why wouldn't a Light Gun work on a big screen TV? I used a Light Gun on the Dreamcast's 'House of the Dead 2' on a friends big screen TV (52"). Hell, even NES's 'Duck Hunt' worked on his big screen TV. I don't get it....

The Frew-its of the Devil

Damn it... that means bad news for my buddy... but I can get the game... sux though. I would like to get a Projector soon, and was exactly the kind of game I wanted to play on it. Oh well... guess I'll just pass this game up until a solution presents itself...
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Light guns won't work on HDTVs because they all display a progressive image. Light guns only work with interlaced images found on normal TV sets. With interlaced signals every scan line goes on the off repeatedly, thus producing the image on your screen. The light gun uses the fact that the image goes on then off to tell where you are aiming at. Unfortunately, HDTVs display the image progressively so the light guns developed for traditional televisions will not operate on HDTVs.

Why wouldn't a Light Gun work on a big screen TV? I used a Light Gun on the Dreamcast's 'House of the Dead 2' on a friends big screen TV (52"). Hell, even NES's 'Duck Hunt' worked on his big screen TV. I don't get it....
    Light guns will work fine on big screen TVs that are NOT HDTV. Any TV that displays its image interlaced will work fine, thats all you need to know. If you have an HDTV its not gonna work. If you have an older big screen TV that isn't HDTV you will be fine.
    Last edited by stang46; 10-21-2002 at 05:21 PM.

or 100hz TVs too which mine also has DRC (basicaliy its adding another 100 lines on top and what a great picture it has)

If the current technology relies on interlaced images then 1080i should work just fine as well, correct?
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Lynxfx,
    I thought about that as well and couldn't think of a reason. Obviously the number of scan lines for 480i and 1080i is different but I dont see why it wouldn't be the same technology. It could be the fact that these games aren't even running in 1080i so thats why the say it won't work.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

Haha, it must suck to have a good tv.

Thread Information