Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Geforce 4?

Default Anyone own a Geforce 4?

I own a Geforce 4 64 mb Ti4200 Gainward. I don't feel regret for upgrading form a GF2 to GF4 but ATI's 9700 destroys this card. But isn't it part of propaganda to try to get some of us to buy it by saying it fully supports DX9 and that DOOM 3 will support it as well? At first I felt like ripping out my hair, but I remembered that they mentioned a year or 2 ago that Geforce 3 could handle it with no problems (GF3 would have the features to play Doom 3, they even ran the darn thing on it). Plus no one can harness DX9 for 1-3 years, they barely harness DX8. It's just a little fishy that they're making you feel like you wasted your money when X-Box (with a slightly slower GPU than the Ti4200) can run Doom 3 with the game graphically intact.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

I have a Ti4200 and think it was possibly the best video card decision I've made in a while. I bought a GF DDR for $300 right when it came out and two 12 meg Voodoo2s for around $500 when they came out. This time I waited and the price of the Ti 4200 was good and the performance is good too. I think I'll be able to run Doom 3 with no problems. People with 9700s will be probably be upset once the game gets released and there is another card that runs it better. It's just a matter of fact in the vid card business. Be happy with what you got. I'm running UT 2003 at 1280x1024x32 BTW. Not too shabby.
    Last edited by GokuX; 10-21-2002 at 10:33 PM.

Dude I have probs with UT2k3. I often lag at high res with all background programs turned off. I can't really play with a lot of bots. Oh well I'm pretty sure they'll release a patch to fix some probs.
    Hidden Content

Most likely on 12/25 I will have a 4200 or 4400 or maybe a 4600!!

Hidden Content XBOX RULES!

Ugh... I got screwed in the graphics card area. I bought a Geforce 2 MX 400 for about $70, a week later, guess what happened? Nvidia decided to release the GeForce 4s, the price on my GF 2 MX 400, droped to about 30-50 bucks. I am never buying new parts until I get a new comp. What happened to the GF 2 you ask? Since my PC is SO craptacular, I stuck it into my dad's comp. Now he is enjoying Q3 at a great 60 fps... at least it's not in the trash.....

Starving College Student

if battlefield 1942 doesnt go LIVE for xbox i guess i'lll get a new card so i can play it on pc...rite now i've got a TNT2 (don't laugh at me )
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Koopa
    if battlefield 1942 doesnt go LIVE for xbox i guess i'lll get a new card so i can play it on pc...rite now i've got a TNT2 (don't laugh at me )
    AHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH
    AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
    Ooops... I was watching Who's Line..... oh I feel for ya Koopa!

I have a GF4 ti4400 and won't upgrade again until spring 2004. I would hardly say that the ATI 9700 pro destroys the GF4 ti4600. And DX9 support means nothing since DX9 has been delayed again until late December/January. Then it will be a year until anything starts to take advantage of it other than benchmark programs. The NV30 is also scheduled for December now so it is all up in the air. If you have a next gen card whether it is a GF4 (non MX) or a Radeon 9700 series then you are set for at least a year and most likely more than that.

Just and FYI, there is a new refresh of GF4 cards that are AGP 8x compliant if anyone was interested or has a mobo with 8X AGP.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

I'm waiting for Nvidia's NV30/35 which rumor has it, it'll have 128MB of DDR 2 ram on it. If the new information is correct then the clock speed of the memory on the new card will be an astounding 1GHz. Which is about 400Mhz faster than the 9700

Soon as the Nv30/35 and the AMD Hammer (3000+ and above) are out, im getting my new comp
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Originally posted by Variation
    I'm waiting for Nvidia's NV30/35 which rumor has it, it'll have 128MB of DDR 2 ram on it. If the new information is correct then the clock speed of the memory on the new card will be an astounding 1GHz. Which is about 400Mhz faster than the 9700

Soon as the Nv30/35 and the AMD Hammer (3000+ and above) are out, im getting my new comp
    And will cost you $400 or more!!

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    I have a GF4 ti4400 and won't upgrade again until spring 2004. I would hardly say that the ATI 9700 pro destroys the GF4 ti4600. And DX9 support means nothing since DX9 has been delayed again until late December/January. Then it will be a year until anything starts to take advantage of it other than benchmark programs. The NV30 is also scheduled for December now so it is all up in the air. If you have a next gen card whether it is a GF4 (non MX) or a Radeon 9700 series then you are set for at least a year and most likely more than that.

Just and FYI, there is a new refresh of GF4 cards that are AGP 8x compliant if anyone was interested or has a mobo with 8X AGP.
    I'm just getting a Geforce4Ti And I don't care if it's one with AGP 8x support in it(because my mb doesn't support 8x)!!

Nvidia's new card should break even newer ground. They should start using 256 mb instead of 128. Creators of Unreal Tournament 2003 said that it has like some type of super texture that you can turn on (not inside the game, but inside the folder) but only will be possible to use with cards that have 256. But I don't really plan to upgrade until DirectX 10 is announced because then they'll finally start using DX9. Like I said they finally started to use DX8 and the Geforce 3 can handle DOOM 3 with no problems, meaning that Doom 3 won't use DX9. Plus id must consider the X-Box gamers that probably can't use DX9.
    Hidden Content

Thats why most people were wondering how NV30/35 were gunna beat 9700 with only 128MB of ram. But if it is the case and rumors are true, Id take 128DDR2 over 256DDR. 256DDR2, if they do, would/will cost a huge amout, just because its not mainstream yet and wont be till sometimes late 2003/early 2004.

And I know its gunna cost me about $900, but I'm a PC gamer as well....Vid cards are the worst thing to cheap out on
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Originally posted by Stormlord
    Nvidia's new card should break even newer ground. They should start using 256 mb instead of 128. Creators of Unreal Tournament 2003 said that it has like some type of super texture that you can turn on (not inside the game, but inside the folder) but only will be possible to use with cards that have 256. But I don't really plan to upgrade until DirectX 10 is announced because then they'll finally start using DX9. Like I said they finally started to use DX8 and the Geforce 3 can handle DOOM 3 with no problems, meaning that Doom 3 won't use DX9. Plus id must consider the X-Box gamers that probably can't use DX9.
    That Mode in UT2k3 takes 180mb of Video mem!!

The Heavenly Addict!!!

I have a 3d blaster G-Force 2 Ultra. I have no problems running Unreal tournament 2003. I also have 528 megs of memory. I had problems with it at one time, but I downloaded some new drivers from creative(not invidia) and they work flawlessly. My brother has the 4, but I don't see that much of a difference. I stay clear of the MX cards. Those cards are crap

THE REAL BOSS

I have the 9700 pro and love it!

Best card i have ever owned!

I paid $320 for it, i figured it was a great deal so i jumped on it.
    RIP David (DZNUTZ) 5/23/04

The MXs are the biggest scam. You can get a better performing GF3 for less than a lame GF4 MX.

I have no problems with ATI, it's just the propaganda. If you're still using a Geforce 2, TNT, or the early Radeons, it would be a great time to upgrade. I just don't like the fact that so many sites and magazines are making the people that bought a Geforce 3-4 feel like they wasted their money because the new ATI supports DX 9 and goes faster. AT first I felt like utter crap, then I remembered they're still using DX 8. Don't be surprised if next year they start making people with NV30/35 and ATI 9700 feel like crap when they release new cards that support DX 10 when they finally start to use DX 9. This is why I like consoles more. I make a $200-300 upgrade to the new console every 4-5 years. However they say every 2 years you should upgrade your PC.
    Hidden Content

i have a voodoo banshee. lol. but when i get my new comp sometime in the next few months, its gonna have a 4600

3dfx was better than Nvidia and ATI. 3dfx glide was better than Direct3d and Open GL.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information