Thread: IGN Insiders, whats the deal with Kakuto Chojin?

Default IGN Insiders, whats the deal with Kakuto Chojin?

I see it got some God-awful score, but this game was hyped as revolutionary in the genre by the same site a few weeks earlier. What does thier review say? I personally never got too excited about this game because I'm a diehard MK fan, but I was waiting to see which would be better. Now I'm sure I'll be playing as Sub Zero again very shortly.

Own:
    Halo, NBA 2K3, NFL 2K3, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Splinter Cell, FIFA World Cup 2002, Tony Hawk 2x, Dead to Rights, Sega GT/JSRF, Two Towers
    Sold:
    Max Payne, Morrowind, NFL Fever 2002, NHL Hitz 2002, Unreal Championship, NBA 2K2, Project Gotham Racing, Enclave, Hunter: The Reckoning, JSFR, Amped
    Want:
    BC, Blinx, Breed, Brute Force, Deus Ex II, Doom III, Fable, Halo 2, Loose Cannon, Mafia, Ninja Gaiden, Perfect Dark 0, Star Wars: KOTOR, Star Wars Jedi Outcast, True Crime, GTA 3x(wishful thining, but I wanna own it). 2003 is gonna be the year of the XBOX!
    Hate:
    Unreal Championship, Project Gotham Racing, NFL Fever, NBA Inside Drive, WWF Raw, JSRF, SSX Tricky, Madden, NBA Live, Enclave, Bruce Lee, Smashing Drive, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Metal Gear Solid Substance, Prisoner of War, more to come...

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

I saw a ton of videos and it looks real good, but thats about it...seems challow with few moves to chose from, but 4 player fighting is a plus, as long as its not as bad as Bouncer for the PS2...

ill be getting MK instead, cause MK has weapons and Sub Zero.

I'll probably be picking up KC later today. I've been reading some early user reviews on message boards and they seem to like it alright. Maybe I'll throw my two cents about it in here later.
    Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.
    - Parkinson's Law

Outside of Dead or Alive 3, the Xbox has been woefully lacking in the fighter department. True, Soul Calibur 2 is lurking on the horizon, and Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance is right around the corner, but the long term offering is a bit on the light side. However, TGS served to buoy our spirits in this regard. On Friday, we saw Kakuti Chojin, an excellent new fighter which is being developed by Dream Factory and published exclusively by Microsoft. We got to go hands on with it at this year's Tokyo Game Show, and the game is as fun as it is handsome.

Kakuto Chojin's fighting style feels very similar to that of DOA 3, in that they're simple on the surface, but deeper and more challenging the more you delve into them. The movement and flow of the fights is balanced and quite tight, thanks in part to the responsive controls. As you would expect, most of the action is handled on the face buttons, but holding the trigger allows you to move around the arena. The game isn't on a fixed plane, so it's easy to flee and regroup if you're getting your butt whooped. Running also allows for a different set of attacks.

We can't speak to the size of the trick sets or the combo system yet, but the moves that we were able to pull off looked and felt spectacular. Accompanying the action is a subtle motion blur, with enhances action rather than detracting from it. What's more, whatever finishing move you muster is fetishized by a 360 degree slow-motion (sigh) Matrix cam, which glorifies violence in the best possible way.

For fans of great graphics, Chojin doesn't disappoint. The fighting arenas are gritty and dark, but that doesn't stop them from being quite beautiful. Most of the backdrops are urban and decayed. Imagine a lot of rusted chain link and chipped concrete. Then imagine that with some of the better lighting effects we've seen on the console. There are some great shadowing and (egad!) lens flare effects, in addition to the technically solid (but more basic) lighting effects.

But the fun doesn't stop there. The character models are nice as well. The animation is so good it passes the squint test (squint and it looks real), and the models themselves are imaginative and well-rendered. For the lecherous gamers out there (you know who you are), we're happy to report the game supports breast physics, so the female characters have more bounce to their pounce.

There are twelve fighters to choose in the game, and each one has both a light and dark side, which can be chosen from the character select screen. Characters range from an acidic hottie in white leather, to a slick, sinewy Bruce Lee-looking guy, to a black leatherclad meanie with a red X (which oddly looks like the Xbox logo) emblazoned on his chest. There are a few classic fighting style characters, a handful of major hotties, and more than a couple extreme badasses. Look for more specific character information in the months to come.

Overall, Chojin looks like a slick fighter with a lot to offer. Xbox fans can breathe a sigh of relief that they won't be left out of the fighting party. Heck, Chojin's exclusive, so they might have to start a party of their own. We'll have more on this title in the in the future, so keep your CPU tuned to IGN Xbox for more Kakuto Chojin updates.

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and Kakuto Chojin both look horrible. I'll just continue with DOA3 until Tao Feng: Fost of the Lotus, Soul Calibur 2 or Virtua Fighter 4 come out
    Halo: Combat Evolved (9.5) || Dead Or Alive 3 (9.0) || NBA Live 2002 (8.0) || Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x (7.0) || NHL 2002 (8.0) || The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (9.0) (Hidden Content ) || Sega GT 2002 (9.0) (Hidden Content ) || MechAssault (8.5) || Unreal Championship (8.0) || Sega Sports NFL 2K3 (8.5) || Dead Or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball (8.5) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (9.25)

Listening to Fur Patrol's Pet LP & Starlifter EP albums (Hidden Content )
    Reading Halo: The Flood by William C. Dietz (Hidden Content )

Hidden Content

Thread Information