Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Xbox needs a keyboard badly

Default the Xbox needs a keyboard badly

2 reasons
    user input really helps online RPGS
    chat rooms with just a mic sound like "lgmjvsrkvdopsv,oskfv fm"

For the whole "It will make a the Xbox seem like a cheap PC" clan.

I say the only person who listens to the idiot is the fool.
    Your sig image is too big. The entire sig can be no larger than 500x250 pixels. Please reduce it in size before you repost. Thanks, XBA Staff.

I personally think that it wouldn't get much use.

Most people are happy with the communicator. Why type when you can talk?

Member on the run

Originally posted by carlbme
    I personally think that it wouldn't get much use.

Most people are happy with the communicator. Why type when you can talk?
    I couldn't agree more! When you're playin' a game, you just use common sense and talk when it's best. I've never had a problem and it's a hell of a lot easier and more fun than a keyboard!

I couldn't imagine fumbling with a keyboard while trying to play games...oh no wait..I can imagine it. That's exactly why my Dreamcast keyboard is collecting dust, and that's exactly why the last PC game I bought was Motocross Madness II 4 years ago.

Xbox keyboard. Ugh.

The Frew-its of the Devil

For me, if it had KB/M combo (or something like it, say that claw controller we saw way back when) it would get GRIPS of use over here. I'd be up on some Halo, practicing for Halo 2... would probably make TS2 more fun (wasn't a fan of it after a rental) Turok might be worth beating once, and depending on the RPG, it would be great (for online RPGs). Alas, it'll proabably not happen... what a shame too... I know MS want's to distance themselves from a PC... but you do that with the games, not the hardware.
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Like carlbme said, why type when you can talk?

But i can tell you this, a keyboard does exist. But i dont think you would need it. People that do all that modding, flashing of the bios, ripping etc use it.

It makes certain task easier.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

A keyboard is the last thing they ned to come out with. That and a mouse. Oh, and BigWig might not know this becuase of his not LIVE situation but there is user feedback.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I think you all are missing the point here. Anyone would rather communicate in game with a mic. However in-between games when you are in a chat room with 20 people is a bunch of blah blah blah. Another reason you need a keyboard is because open coded games like Neverwinter Nights and Star Wars Galaxies allow users to create scripts and programs that can be added to a game. This is important in the case of MMORPGs because a lot of those games will steal Neverwinters "dungeon master" idea. Fable 2 is rumored to be an open code MMORPG. Now some of you might be skeptical to how many make shift programmers there are. Well if you are go to NWN user downloads and you will see how much has been added to the game via open code in just six months. I was amazed. Gamers added stuff like a job system, better henchman Ai, **** err chicken fighting, and sub races. If I were going to produce a MMORPG for the Xbox it would definitely have open code and a dungeon master system because it adds a ton to a game. If NWN 2 will not hit the Xbox as a console exclusive without a keyboard. Now I have heard there is a European 3rd party producing a keyboard but I am not sure. Without a keyboard you will also never have moding.

Thats why so many people would rather buy the PC version of the game because you can dload user mods. In the case of Splinter Cell you can only dload Ubisoft mods on the Xbox. I bet Splinter Cell 2 would have the option to create missions if you have a keyboard.

Make no mistake I love the mic and the ability to record your own voices and music to a game. It does not have to be an either or thing
    Last edited by Bigwig; 11-07-2002 at 11:48 AM.
    Your sig image is too big. The entire sig can be no larger than 500x250 pixels. Please reduce it in size before you repost. Thanks, XBA Staff.

How about this. Downloadable content via xbox live. IE, download the patches made for pc that were modded by the game producers to work with xbox. Plus, there isn't really a "chatroom" for xbox live. There is a lobby when you are waiting for people to join but trust me. Talking in there is way better than typing. Plus, its not like anyone has ever had a bad experience with the communicator in the lounge. You can hear what everyone says.

Oh yeah, NWN isn't the first game to use the dungeon master thing. That has been going on for ages. As for Fable 2. That most likely won't even be on the xbox. Without a doubt in my mind it will be on the next microsoft console. Heck, Fable 1 is only rumoured to come out in spring. Where are you getting these Fable 2 rumours from anyway? BBB forums? If so, alot can change within 10 years.
    Last edited by MerimacHamwich; 11-07-2002 at 11:37 AM.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Fable 2 does look like an Xbox 2 launch title but until then I say start a moding community ASAP to get them warmed up for Fable 2. Also Neverwinters "dungeon master" is pretty unique because of the in game online options. You dont just make the dungeons you are really the dungeon master. You can do stuff like posses monsters and make them talk or whatever.

I want a keyboard and mouse for control, not communication especially since consoles seem to be going for the PC dominated genre of FPS games.

Halo is the best they have done yet with a controller but it is still behind the control one gets with a keyboard and mouse.

I know what you are talking about, with everyone in a lobby talking at once, but I don't think I would want to stop and type either. Hopefully more people will just learn to shut up once in awhile. Besides, text on a standard tv is hardly readable.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx
    I know what you are talking about, with everyone in a lobby talking at once, but I don't think I would want to stop and type either. Hopefully more people will just learn to shut up once in awhile. Besides, text on a standard tv is hardly readable.
    I've found that most people are respectful and don't all talk at the same time. Its the same thing as being with a group of friends, if everyone talked no one would understand each other. Its not rocket science, nor a service screaming for a kb, its just a bit of common sense thats needed.

As for KB/M combo for FPS, I'm very much against it since it would put players on different levels on Live and thats not cool.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

I think I am one of the few people who rather have dual analog over mouse and keyboard control. It would be interesting to see how Mouse and Keyboard square off VS dual analog. Mouse and Keyboard would have a targeting advantage while dual analog would have movement. It would probably depend on the game.

Member on the run

XBL Gamertag: Calaldum

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was wondering who this cat was that invited me to his friend's list last night! See you on Live dre!

Originally posted by rudedogX
    XBL Gamertag: Calaldum

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was wondering who this cat was that invited me to his friend's list last night! See you on Live dre!
    hehehe, I guess I should have sent some pms to the peeps I invited. Its not like you see Calaldum and think.. oh thats gotta be Dre
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

BigWig, the following are some games that have the capablities of NWN:
    Baldurs Gate
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Vampire:The Masquerade Redemption
    Pool of Radiance
    I think Dungeon Seige has it too.
    Plus any other game loosely or tightly based on the Dungeons and Dragons game. There is at least 10 out there.

Oh and as for the mods. As well as converting PC mods to the xbox they oculd even include a PC CDROM disk so that people who want to mod so badly can.

Originally posted by Dre

I've found that most people are respectful and don't all talk at the same time. Its the same thing as being with a group of friends, if everyone talked no one would understand each other. Its not rocket science, nor a service screaming for a kb, its just a bit of common sense thats needed.

As for KB/M combo for FPS, I'm very much against it since it would put players on different levels on Live and thats not cool.
    I hope you are right I have only beta tested live myself. I still think you are going to be short on PC gamers crossing over without more incentive. Take a look at all the user mods for Morrowind too. Without a keyboard games are a better buy on the PC. I'm playing BG 2 for the first time with three user mods attached to it. It doubles the lenght of the game

Member on the run

Originally posted by Dre

hehehe, I guess I should have sent some pms to the peeps I invited. Its not like you see Calaldum and think.. oh thats gotta be Dre
    Pretty much...it's all good though, you'll have to explain that name on Live sometime

Member on the run

Originally posted by Bigwig

I hope you are right I have only beta tested live myself. I still think you are going to be short on PC gamers crossing over without more incentive. Take a look at all the user mods for Morrowind too. Without a keyboard games are a better buy on the PC. I'm playing BG 2 for the first time with three user mods attached to it. It doubles the lenght of the game

Honestly Bigwig...There are going to be enough people on Live without having to worry about losing a few PC fans.

I can go on Live right now and find people looking to join a game in almost any game I play, and that's during beta!

Originally posted by Bigwig

I wonder what sort of things have to be taken into consideration when transforming a pc-mod to an XBL dl'able mod. You;d think that if they think about it first, which I'm sure they do, they'd make the mods as modular as possible. I agree though, PC mods extend a games life considerably and it is something lacking for consoles. But, with the Xbox hd, things are going to change. DL'able content via XBL for example. And next months OXM is going to have a booster disc for Sega GT 2002.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Thread Information