Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the Xbox needs a keyboard badly

IF YOU WANT TO CHAT GO TO YAHOO OR A FORUM HEREWE DONT NEED THE xbl SLOWING DOWN CAUSE PEOPLE WANT TO TYPE/TALK (sorry caps) XBL is for gaming. PLus half of us cant type or spell in here any waise so what would be the point...lol
    Taliesin of "Omega Squad"

Games owned; GR, GRIT, Outlaw Volleyball, 2K3, Fever 2002, Matrix, Commandos, Halo, Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Fuzion Frezy, PGR, Tiger Woods 2003, Tetris Worlds, Crimson Skies

Waiting for; Links 2004, Rainbow 6, Counter Strike, Ninja Gaiden,

One of the major things that has to be taken into consideration is that there is a 2 second lag or so with voice communication... this could prove as a problem, but what you have to realise is audio isn't distinct...one noise can add, mesh, disrupt or destroy another. When you type one persons messages are distinct from everyone elses. Imagine you're in a game with 16 people in a deathmatch...the amount of talking will be ****ing retarded.... SERIOUSLY confusing and reiduclous.

Also I don't want to listen to a bunch of losers...squeaking into the microphone, SCREAMING at the stupidest things... its just an annoyance. I don't talk to everyone on the street...why should I have to talk to strangers over the internet hahaha

:P
    What do you mean, "I hurt your feelings"?
    I didn't know you had any feelings.

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    BigWig, the following are some games that have the capablities of NWN:
    Baldurs Gate
    Baldurs Gate 2
    Vampire:The Masquerade Redemption
    Pool of Radiance
    I think Dungeon Seige has it too.
    Plus any other game loosely or tightly based on the Dungeons and Dragons game. There is at least 10 out there.

Oh and as for the mods. As well as converting PC mods to the xbox they oculd even include a PC CDROM disk so that people who want to mod so badly can.
    Burning a disk off of a PC version of the game is much more of hassle then just allowing a 3rd party keyboard. You are also way off on what I mean by dungeonmaster. Lots of games, even console titles have some toolkit to create dungeons but NWN allows you to host a server, and be behind the scenes controlling the story. You have a password that allows you or your assistant dungeonmasters access to your module.

One of the main appeals to the Xbox is the cheap MMORPGs that operate in a persistent world. One of the problems with them is how short the games are. With a NWN style where each area can have a team of dungeonmasters adding and operating a story. This puts an MMORPG above the next one and that what I mean when I say NWN is unique.
    Your sig image is too big. The entire sig can be no larger than 500x250 pixels. Please reduce it in size before you repost. Thanks, XBA Staff.

I meant exactly waht you meant. In all of those games I am sure you can set up your own story and everything like you said. Trust me. Have you ever heard of Dungoens and Dragons? All of those games are based off of it. It is a "boardgame rpg" that you create your won stories in and is controlled by the Dungeon Master. These all copy from it.

As for Woocifer. Are you a BETA tester? I am, and I have not come across the stuff you are suggesting might happen. Heck lots of people don't even talk. It is actually a civilized environment on LIVE. There isn't tons of people yelling and screaming and crap. The voice delays are also relative. Depending on the persons location and ping times. Quite often you come across people who have virtually no delay. The biggest I have heard was around 2 seconds.

How is including a contruction kit a hassle? Most PC games come with a contruction kit, so just put the construction kit on a seperate disc and include it on the xbox version. I think it would be more profitable and easier then designing a keyboard to work with the xbox. After all, hardware loses money, software makes money.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    I meant exactly waht you meant. In all of those games I am sure you can set up your own story and everything like you said. Trust me. Have you ever heard of Dungoens and Dragons? All of those games are based off of it. It is a "boardgame rpg" that you create your won stories in and is controlled by the Dungeon Master. These all copy from it.

LOL look at my signature.
    I have played every infinity engine game, every gold box game, and POR 2's sorry excuse for a game along with reading the novels and playing PnP. There is a reason NWN is up for RPG of the year while having a lousy single player game. The dungeonmaster option is unique to Neverwinter Nights. With BG and the other Infinity engine games you can dload emulated tools to make mods, in Dungeon Siege and Morrowind you have a toolkit but none of those games allow you the freedom to interact with players in a behind the scene dungeonmaster mod while they are playing. Also none of those games allow you to have your own persistent world server with a password and add adventures to your own server. For this you need a keyboard and mouse.

As for Woocifer. Are you a BETA tester? I am, and I have not come across the stuff you are suggesting might happen. Heck lots of people don't even talk. It is actually a civilized environment on LIVE. There isn't tons of people yelling and screaming and crap. The voice delays are also relative. Depending on the persons location and ping times. Quite often you come across people who have virtually no delay. The biggest I have heard was around 2 seconds.
    This could be because its under populated. I wonder if some of the people posting have played online on gamespy or the dreamcast. There are a ton of people in between games chatting about stuff, or setting up games. Even if you only have 10 people in the room talking one on one conversations can get cluttered. Thats just the nature of the beast. There are always more people chatting then playing.
    How is including a contruction kit a hassle? Most PC games come with a contruction kit, so just put the construction kit on a seperate disc and include it on the xbox version. I think it would be more profitable and easier then designing a keyboard to work with the xbox. After all, hardware loses money, software makes money.
    Cuz some of these construction kits might allow for opencoding if there was a keyboard. I'm not saying it should be included with live but people who wanted to script stuff in open coded toolkits could buy one. Otherwise you dont get any real significant user input. If you are talking about a PC compatible construction disk that would put even more burden on the consumer to get a PC with a writeable CD Rom drive.
    Last edited by Bigwig; 11-07-2002 at 05:32 PM.
    Your sig image is too big. The entire sig can be no larger than 500x250 pixels. Please reduce it in size before you repost. Thanks, XBA Staff.

I don't feel like arguing any more.

As for LIVE though. Trust me, it sin't a problem. Ask any of the BETA testers. Once again I have to say though. There is no chatrooms! There is only a place called a "lounge" that you enter when you join a game. You only talk there when you are waiting for game level changes etc or for more people to join. There is no problem with "cluttering" of voices.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Heck lots of people don't even talk. It is actually a civilized environment on LIVE.
    I agree with that. There has only been one situation where two people were being completely annoying in the lounge, ie chatroom, but it was with people I didn't know and never played against again. Once I started playing people I knew it has been totally cool, even ones that I don't know. It could easily be exploited though and you might find one person with an annoying voice and that in turn is masked by an annoying voice mask. With the amount of people that will be on Live, I'm sure you will find one or two bad seeds here and there. But it is probably the exception, not the rule.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Thread Information