Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mech assault is getting crazy reviews.

Default Mech assault is getting crazy reviews.

GameSpot 90.0%
    Gamespy 89.0%
    IGN 92.0%
    Avault 90.0%

Wow.... all of those reviews are really high.

[b]I wasn't intending on playing the game at all b/c it looked like TOTAL spamming, but maybe there's more to it?

Do these reviews change anyone else's perception of the game?

Wasn't going to get this game b4 because I never really got into the whole mech scene. But, when a game gets such great scores across the board, I don't think you can go bad in picking it up. I haven't really seen reviews like this for an Xbox game in a while, plus this game is on XBL. Wow... yes, I'll be pickin it up!
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Multiple Personalities faceoff508's Avatar

This should be a great game. I have been anticapating it for less than a year now. I cant wait till I play this baby.
    "Become Muslim and be saved. If not, accept protection from us and pay the tax. If not, I shall come against you with men who love death as you love to drink wine"

~Khalid ibn al-Walid (ra), Muslim General addressing the persian rulers 633 CE.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I'll admit it...Mechassault doesn't excite me at all. After seeing some streaming video of it, it just turned me off.

Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game. I'll rent it before I consider buying it. I'm more excited for Unreal Championship than anything else.

I got to thinking today, though...that, it would be sweet to have atleast two on-line games to mess around with at launch. I am, for sure, getting Unreal Championship but I won't purchase another XBox Live game without renting them first and checking them out. That goes for Ghost Recon and Mechassault.

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game.
    That's what I thought, but 4 extraordinarily high reviews changedm y mind. But I guess I should rent it first.

Still looks like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles in that game.

Frostberg

Dont think of it as Mechs....think of them as Master Chiefs...

Just because it is a Mech doesn't mean you go around at 2 miles per hour shooting other Mecs in order to get where you want to...

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    I'll admit it...Mechassault doesn't excite me at all. After seeing some streaming video of it, it just turned me off.

Now, I know...I shouldn't base my opinion on streaming video...and, well, I don't. But, the streaming video of Mechassault actually did turn me off from the game. I'll rent it before I consider buying it. I'm more excited for Unreal Championship than anything else.

I got to thinking today, though...that, it would be sweet to have atleast two on-line games to mess around with at launch. I am, for sure, getting Unreal Championship but I won't purchase another XBox Live game without renting them first and checking them out. That goes for Ghost Recon and Mechassault.
    I'm in the EXACT same situation as you Max. But i think i'm definitely goin Ghost Recon. I just CAN'T WAIT to say cover me and to take out the baddies with like 15 other peeps. Man it just pumps me up. Mech doesn't really do that. I guess we'll just have to see.
    "That's the way she goes, boys. Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't cause that's the f*ck*ng way she goes."

"TCM -- Forever Gunnin' For The Best; To The First 4"

Originally posted by halo_11

I'm in the EXACT same situation as you Max. But i think i'm definitely goin Ghost Recon. I just CAN'T WAIT to say cover me and to take out the baddies with like 15 other peeps. Man it just pumps me up. Mech doesn't really do that. I guess we'll just have to see.
    I know what you mean! I want to use that headset for strategy! Not just for saying "whassup" and thats all there is right now on the beta. I personally don't really care for talking in a game (unless I know the people in the game obviously) unless its for a purpose. In something like Unreal I can see the headset coming in as an invaluable tool when playing CTF and it "pumps me up" too

What I want to know is the different gamemodes of Mechassault. I hope that there will be some sort of teamplay so that I can team up with a friend to take on some other peeps.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by wweomaniac
    That's what I thought, but 4 extraordinarily high reviews changedm y mind. But I guess I should rent it first.

Still looks like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles in that game.
    Good points, wweomaniac, frosty, Halo_11, and Dre...

And, I think wweomaniac said it best that Mechassault *seems* like a lot of unskillful shooting from all angles of the game. That's exactly my impression...I guess I'm looking for something a little more strategic and I hope I'll get that from UC. But, I'll keep an open mind and rent Mechassault. I truly hope we're all wrong and Mechassault is a bad ass strategic and tactical kill fest! I really do!

Originally posted by Dre

What I want to know is the different gamemodes of Mechassault. I hope that there will be some sort of teamplay so that I can team up with a friend to take on some other peeps.
    "In order to add more replay value to the game the designers added some excellent multiplayer modes. Among there grinder, are a mode where you and your human opponents fight against an endless onslaught of AI mechs in a battle to see who can survive for the longest amount of time, destruction and team destruction, the game’s take on death match and team death match, last man standing, a mode where you are given only one life, and not it, a variation on the king of the hill mode. There is some excellent variety to be had here and although the game only supports two players per Xbox, you’ll be able to play against your friends via system link as well as Xbox Live. Currently, the two-player multiplayer is extremely addictive, at the time there aren't too many people to play against on the Xbox Live Network. I can’t imagine how amazing it will be when the Xbox Live gets up and running."

Gaming Nexus

Yeah I'm also definately going to be picking this game up. I guess I'll see you all online.

Originally posted by thatroger

"In order to add more replay value to the game the designers added some excellent multiplayer modes. Among there grinder, are a mode where you and your human opponents fight against an endless onslaught of AI mechs in a battle to see who can survive for the longest amount of time, destruction and team destruction, the game’s take on death match and team death match, last man standing, a mode where you are given only one life, and not it, a variation on the king of the hill mode. There is some excellent variety to be had here and although the game only supports two players per Xbox, you’ll be able to play against your friends via system link as well as Xbox Live. Currently, the two-player multiplayer is extremely addictive, at the time there aren't too many people to play against on the Xbox Live Network. I can’t imagine how amazing it will be when the Xbox Live gets up and running."

Gaming Nexus

Yeah I'm also definately going to be picking this game up. I guess I'll see you all online.
    thnx 4 the 411 bro. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Max, I heard that this game actually involves quite a bit of strategy. Check out this link:

http://www.xbox.com/teamxbox/teamxbox-02.htm
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Dre

thnx 4 the 411 bro. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear!

Max, I heard that this game actually involves quite a bit of strategy. Check out this link:

http://www.xbox.com/teamxbox/teamxbox-02.htm
    Now, that was an interesting read...both clips. I'll have to give Mechassault a very serious look here...thanks for the info!

Well this is straight from Ebgames.com:

"Pilot the most powerful weapons available in the 31st century, a 40-foot tall walking tank known as a BattleMech. MechAssault is a 3rd-person action/shooter, where environments are not only fully destructible, they're your weapons. Choose from a dozen 'Mechs ranging from quick 30- tonners to huge 100-ton beasts. Configure your 'Mech and optimize it to crush your opponents. Challenge yourself with 20 single-player missions and get prepared for the ultimate multiplayer online experience. Download free Mechs, maps and more with Xbox Live!"

I always thought that the downloadable content for Mechassault cost cash, but it seems as though it is now free. I love how XBL will have downloadable content, that will allow games like Mechassault to be constantly updated with new levels, mechs, and modes, allowing it to have the possibility of endless appeal.

Craziest Mofo in the XBA Crazy Joe's Avatar

Originally posted by Frostberg-XBA
    Just because it is a Mech doesn't mean you go around at 2 miles per hour shooting other Mecs in order to get where you want to...
    hear that maneatingcow? Look out for Frosty!!!

I personally had no intention for this game... Well until I saw some more pics and read the Boot Camp review here @ XBA. Now I want it. Problem is I only have so much $$$... Oh well, Im getting UC and Ghost Recon the 13th to hold me off. Money on XMAS so I CAN GET IT! Anyways, I can't wait!

Frostberg

Originally posted by Discretion
    I personally had no intention for this game... Well until I saw some more pics and read the Boot Camp review here @ XBA. Now I want it. Problem is I only have so much $$$... Oh well, Im getting UC and Ghost Recon the 13th to hold me off. Money on XMAS so I CAN GET IT! Anyways, I can't wait!
    Exactly...there are just too many great games coming out in the next few weeks...

Never enough time or money...

lol Gortholomew...For the kiddies they can just tip and not kill...but then MEC would use his mad ReVolt power to race away...
    Last edited by Frostberg; 11-10-2002 at 10:13 PM.

do ya know unreal has no system link, poxy huh.

The Frew-its of the Devil

Glad I preordered this game... hope I get it AT LEAST by wednesday... sucks ass that they pushed back NHL 2k3. I was hopen to play that come wednesday too, but oh well. I spose mechassault can keep me busy for now...
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Just got a 9.4 from TeamXbox.

-jarvis
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    Learn to swim...
    -Tool

Are you afraid? So am I! XBX_Junior_XBX's Avatar

I've been wanting to get this game since they announced that it was going to be on XBOX LIVE. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!! : P

Thread Information