Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Ms Done it? Eliminated Modchips on Live?

Default Has Ms Done it? Eliminated Modchips on Live?

I just read on a hacker site quote"

Today alot of people that were beta testers on live and had modded systems attempted to play their beta cd's as normal but came to a screen that says "cannot connect to servers",
    this only happens on a modded xbox we tested it here at ****** , but what is ms looking for we dont know just yet but are looking into it, ms gets 1 point for the anti mod attempts.
    more info soon........

Unquote"

Mmm...so the war between hackers and microsoft has just heated up. I wonder what the hackers next move with be? So what do you guys think? I guess that disableing the hard drive of modded xboxes was enough for old uncle bill....This old cat and mouse game between hacker and Ms...it's better than TV
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

This is real interesting... you wouldn't happen to be able to post a link to the website you got this quote from would ya? I've been holding out on modding my box for this reason. It sure would suck for all those peeps with modded boxes if they don't find a way around this.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

That is pretty interesting. I also have held off on a modchip for this reason. I think if it really became a problem then I would just buy a second Xbox. The sega bundle brings the cost of the system to like $100. That is nothing for a second console. Use that one on Live and mod the original that I got.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

The race is on to see how the hackers will get back at Microsoft... Could it be you?
    I own Spiderman, Halo, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, TH2X, Blood Omen2, Amped, Dark Summit, SSX Tricky, Azurik, Max Payne, Amped, Splashdown, Crazy Taxi 3, Dead to Rights, Toejam&Earl3, TH4, Myst 3, Hunter the Reckoning, Pirates, Test Drive and Morrowind on XBox.
    Systems are Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64 and GameBoy Advance Hidden Content

Nope.....i'm no hacker....i just love the whole cat and mouse game. You know, punch and counter punch. Hackers vs Big business. I'm not much of a pirate...after playing some bootleg games on the ps2 with no music and no movies..and in some cases missing levels.....and like a dumb ass killing a few consoles trying to modd them......i think it's much cheaper to rent games, than to buy a whole new system. At the same time i wish that microsoft would rethink it's stand on running unsigned code...like emulators, Divx players and playing game from another regions....I'm still wondering..can a home console be made uncrackable? I think that best anti-pirate measure i have seen has to be the Phantasy Star online for the dreamcast....you couldn't log on to their servers with out a serial number. To this day i don't think that anybody ever cracked that one.....
    Last edited by Evil_Dr_Beefy; 11-12-2002 at 08:38 PM.
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

A guy I know has a modded Xbox and told me on Thanksgiving that he was going to be adding a switch so he could disconnect it when he was playing Live. That sounds like an interesting idea.
    Hidden Content "Stack dead actors, stacked to the rafters
    Line up the b*stards all I want is the truth"

Originally posted by Xx J Dub 2k xX
    A guy I know has a modded Xbox and told me on Thanksgiving that he was going to be adding a switch so he could disconnect it when he was playing Live. That sounds like an interesting idea.
    Yes, that is the only way to eliminate the problem right now, having a bios switch. I am sure that in the near future this problem will be solved.

Recent finds have confirmed that Xbox Live service is checking for mods. How do we know? Well we tested one xbox with a modchip enabled and with the modchip disabled. Results show that the xbox with modchip installed but disabled worked with xbox live. With the chip installed and enabled it did not work, xbox live would not connect. So solution is, disable your mod, at least until something new comes up on this find.

I remember about a month ago my friend moded his Xbox and it was working fine for a while and finally when got all the info on xbx live and its anti mod protection he decided to buy a switch for his mod chip, but tragicly through the process of installing the switch one of the solders on the xbox motherboard some how got damaged and his xbox was nothing more than a useful paper weight.

I hope they can detect and wont let people on
    Executive Editor
    Xboxaddict.com

Originally posted by Variation
    I hope they can detect and wont let people on
    Yep me to, they were told that the XBL will be taking out modded XBOXs so it's all their fault, if they want to get online go out and buy another machine they're damn cheap right now
    Last edited by Afro Aura; 11-13-2002 at 08:12 AM.

Originally posted by Afro Aura

Yep me to, they were told that the XBL will be taking out modded XBOXs so it's all there fault, if they want to get online go out and buy another machine they're damn cheap right now
    The hackers will always find a way in.....

Originally posted by Scorpion}{

The hackers might always find a way in, but all the people who paid a hacker money to mod their Xbox might be SOL.

blub blub blub

My take on this mod thing is that if you want to play hacker with your box, fine, but you're sure as hell not getting on XBL with it. Why? Because I believe that a modded box is just a step away from being able to cheat. Think about it..the mod chip already bypasses much of the legit code..so the door is already open for cheating. If you've ever been nuked over and over again playing a game online you already know that cheaters suck ass. I sure don't want them on XBL

Originally posted by Dre
    This is real interesting... you wouldn't happen to be able to post a link to the website you got this quote from would ya? I've been holding out on modding my box for this reason. It sure would suck for all those peeps with modded boxes if they don't find a way around this.

In my opinion, they should not have modded their Xbox's in the first place. This should teach hackers a lesson. Peace.

Originally posted by Scorpion}{

Being a cheap @ss doesn't always work like you think Scorpion...

ChickenSHHHH, Fosho & now Kortiz's Avatar

i wont mod my box.......cost me 350+ including warranty.

risk vs. reward is lopsided imho

if it was legal and ms promoted it? sure i would do it. but not when there is a possibility that i can get in trouble, or more importantly have my xbox mess up som how from it

Im gonna add my two cents.

Not everyone buys a mod chip to play pirated games. I want one to use homebrew software, or something like MAMEX (Only non-SDK created for legality reasons) Hell a group already has Linux working on the Xbox. Also, mod chips arent as much of a problem to online gaming as GameSharks are, theres no difference between the two. Also, with Xbox Live, theres always an admin, so if somehow a person who had a modded Xbox found a way to cheat the admin would boot them. Nevermind the fact its theoretically possible to modify game code heading in and outbound by having the data go through a computer first. (Yes, its possible)

Microsoft is smarter than sony and sega, so good luck to them
    I own Spiderman, Halo, JSRF, Project Gotham Racing, TH2X, Blood Omen2, Amped, Dark Summit, SSX Tricky, Azurik, Max Payne, Amped, Splashdown, Crazy Taxi 3, Dead to Rights, Toejam&Earl3, TH4, Myst 3, Hunter the Reckoning, Pirates, Test Drive and Morrowind on XBox.
    Systems are Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, N64 and GameBoy Advance Hidden Content

Originally posted by zfBRAT
    Microsoft is smarter than sony and sega, so good luck to them
    I don't agree. MS has more money, but that doesn't make them smarter.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Default This is What We Need...

I remember back in the Dreamcast days of Quake 3 Arena, I was a lucky Broadband adapter owner and I rarely, if ever lost...until this one guy gets on, I dont recall the name, but he never missed a shot. I speced him and it was obviouse something was wwrong cause he wasnt even aiming his shots...so began my hatred on cheaters online...I dont really see the point in it...isnt gaming supposed to prove who the best is?

Hopefully XboxLIVE will keep the cheaters and hackers at bay...permenantly!
    Xbox Games I Own...

Halo, Capcom vs. SnK EO , Dead or Alive 3, Splinter Cell, Crazy Taxi 3, Buffy, Max Payne, Unreal Championship, Hitman 2

Games I'm playing most...
    Unreal Championship - LIVE is addictive
    Quake 3 Arena - (pc) play about 5 mins less per day than UC
    Hitman 2

Add me to your frends list if you play Unreal on LIVE, I sold Ghost Recon cause it was simply a hype machine to match SOCOM, instead I opted for something for more ORIGINAL...the first online fighting game EVER in the USA!

Thread Information