Thread: Will Microsoft buy 22% in Sega?

Default Will Microsoft buy 22% in Sega?

Rumors are daily live in the Game Industry, the latest rumor is that CSK wants to sell their 22% of Sega. Since this rumor is born the stock in Sega did raise more than 11%. And it's not strange that Microsoft would buy the 22%, they just bought Rare and before that they bought Bungie, makers of Halo and we can expect early next year a brand new game from Rare. With this move Microsoft will own 1/4 of Sega which makes sure that we will see more games coming from Sega to the Xbox. As this rumor goes around we will keep you informed on any news on this subject.

more on the rumors

Shares of Sega gained more than 17 percent on Friday after rumors reemerged regarding a possible Microsoft buyout. While speculation of a sale has existed since last spring, the rumor was given renewed credibility this week following Sega's disclosure regarding downgraded financial projections and the revelation of a merger between Japanese developer Square and Enix. However, when asked about the possibility of a sale, Sega spokesperson Hiroyuki Soga said “There are no plans for a sale that I've heard.” To put things into perspective, Japanese investment analyst Toshio Ogawa of the firm Izumi Securities explained, “Sega's moving on the rumor that Microsoft may be the buyer of CSK's stake in the company. There is a slight possibility of this, but it's more likely that investors are using this rumor to buy back their shares.” For reference, Japanese software company CSK owns an estimated 22 percent of Sega.
    Last edited by xboxtito; 12-04-2002 at 03:55 PM.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

cool

For buying people out, there is no power greater than x
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Gamerscore Whore

I dunno if this will bring Xbox exclusive games to us though. It just gives Microsoft guaranteed titles coming their way.

I would like Microsoft to buy whatever percentage of Sega that would make every game to Xbox also. Even beter if Xbox can have the game first and give other systems straight ports of the game.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

If this is true, all that it means is that the Xbox will get all of Sega's games.

Yea i think it will be cool 2 see exclusive games for the Big X from sega.

It's rumored that that 22% would make MS the majority shareholder, thereby assuring full exclusivity with the Xbox.

some christmas pictures were recently released from Sega press and a strange number of xbox oddities were seen in the pictures. (all characters wearing colors including green and black, strange xbox shaped presents that appeared to be added after the drawings were done, etc) this analysing stuff was all over the teamxbox boards the other day.

-jarvis
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    PRYING OPEN MY THIRD EYE
    Learn to swim...
    -Tool

I'm starting to get a little worried about Sega because of all the Playstation 2 titles there are announcing. Also, I noticed in the new OXM, Panzer Dragoon Orta and House of the Dead III had the "Only on Xbox" stamp removed.
    Now Playing

I read somewhere (cant find it now) that the 22% has already been sold but noone knows who the buyer is yet. it is speculation that ms is the buyer and if they are that would give them 5 chairs out of 13 in the board of sharholders.

that is sortof how things are right now with sony and square

Originally posted by rockola
    I read somewhere (cant find it now) that the 22% has already been sold but noone knows who the buyer is yet. it is speculation that ms is the buyer and if they are that would give them 5 chairs out of 13 in the board of sharholders.

that is sortof how things are right now with sony and square
    I haven't heard about it yet but I wouldn't be surprise to hear Microsoft did.
    Now Playing

Here's the thing... Sega used a Microsoft OS in Dreamcast. Sega already has deals with Microsoft for implementing the OS, if I am not mistaken. If it is Microsoft, they are hot for Sega, considering they would just be buying more of Sega's favor.
    Green = Good
    Red = Sucks
    I own all of the following games
    Halo, Crimson Sea, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Morrowind, Blinx, Dead or Alive 3, NFL Fever 2002, NFL Fever 2003, Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Whacked!, Splinter Cell, Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO, Phantasy Star Online (preorder)
    NightCaster, Blood Wake, Fuzion Frenzy, Hitman 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Dave Mirra BMX 2, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Totaled!
    Wish List: (Until Summer)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive: XTreme Beach Volleyball, Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Midtown Madness 3, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero

Hidden Content Former Xbox Live Beta Tester.

yea i heard that the dreamcast used a version of windows ce. but in the book opening the xbox. they said that microsoft made some game development tools (probably directx) and the thought was that if a game maker used the tools MS would get some kickback. but I dont think anyone used the tools. (also according to the book, MS offered sony a chance to use the tools and got an insulting response, which is probably one of the reasons the xbox exist now)

Originally posted by rockola
    yea i heard that the dreamcast used a version of windows ce. but in the book opening the xbox. they said that microsoft made some game development tools (probably directx) and the thought was that if a game maker used the tools MS would get some kickback. but I dont think anyone used the tools. (also according to the book, MS offered sony a chance to use the tools and got an insulting response, which is probably one of the reasons the xbox exist now)
    Wouldn't surprise me any. The reason Sony got into consoles was because Sega turned them down on helping them with the Sega CD. Then Nintendo wanted a CD attachment on the SNES so they asked Sony to work with them. Since the Sega CD didn't do well, Nintendo dumped Sony's Playstation attachment to Super Nintendo. That caused Sony to make their own console.

Something I picked up a few years ago.
    Now Playing

I'm starting to get a little worried about Sega because of all the Playstation 2 titles there are announcing.
    That makes sence to me. If MS DID buy Sega stock then you know that at least SOME titles will be XBoX exclusives. So it makes sence on Segas part to go ahead and release as many PS2 titles that they can as quickly as possible before MS puts a stop to it.
    Last edited by Bee; 12-05-2002 at 06:20 PM.

Originally posted by Bee

That makes sence to me. If MS DID buy Sega stock then you know that at least SOME titles will be XBoX exclusives. So it makes sence on Segas part to go ahead and release as many PS2 titles that they can as quickly as possible before MS puts a stop to it.
    I don't really think thats the case.
    Now Playing

Thread Information