Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox Year 2 Projections

Exclamation Xbox Year 2 Projections

The Games of 2003!
    I think it's safe to say that Xbox's first year on the market was a bit bland when it came to the games. It's nothing to be ashamed of, most consoles go through the year one drought as developers warm up to the machine, and the Box was no different. Yet Year two is looking like an absolute moment to moment explosion of gaming goodness. In a quick fashion let me show you Xbox 2003 lineup as it currently stands--Midtown Madness 3, Crimson Skies: HRTR, Toa Feng: TFOL, Star Wars: KOTOR, Project Gotham Racing 2, Fable, BC, Sudeki, Tork, Psychonauts, Counterstrike, True Fantasy Live Online, Kameo: Elements of Power, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2, Ninja Gaiden, Banjo-Kazooie 3, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Breakdown, DOA: Code Cronos, The Unseen, Steel Battalion 2, Dino Crisis 3, Deus Ex 2: Invisible war, Conker's Other Bad Fur Day, Doom III, Perfect Dark Zero, WWE Raw 2, and of course Halo 2. Now that's a f#@king lineup, and these are just the games that we know of. Believe me; Microsoft has a whole lot of surprises for year 2 yet to be revealed...

The Secret Weapon
    The HALO 2 Factor: While Xbox has a gargantuan number of games for 2003, perhaps there's only one that really matters, HALO 2. Every now and then a game comes along with such an unprecedented level of Hype that it is immortalized and uncomprehendable in the minds of gamers well before it's even released. HALO 2 seems destined to join the ranks of games like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, and Grand Theft Auto 3.

The XBOX Live Factor
    Graphics and processing power can only be marketed so much before people stop caring, but Xbox Live could become a major selling point for Xbox during year two. If the MS boys play their hands right, Xbox Live could become the ultimate destination for hardcore gamers. Xbox Live is something totally unique to Microsoft's system the competition's online plans don't even come close! Yet Microsoft is going to have to show patience with Xbox Live as growth is most likely going to be slow, the number of Broadband users in the U.S. is still relatively low and as such the number of gamers with access to Xbox Live will be few! Gamers should certainly not worry about Xbox Live getting killed prematurely because of a low user base; like everything else MS does, Xbox Live is ready for the long run.

Japan First, Then the World
    As of printing this article Xbox is now holding the second place trophy in America by about 800,000 units (over GameCube) and in Europe by a margin, and sales in both markets are rising. Yet in Japan Xbox continues to get pounded into the dust! After a full 8 months on the market Microsoft has only managed to move a dismal 300,000 units. While Japan is not the pinnacle of gaming that it once was, they are still a very important market; if Microsoft wants to have the Xbox be a true success than this problem will have to be mitigated.

Year 2 is looking a little better for Japanese gamers who've joined the green side, at least compared to year one! Games like N.U.D.E, True Fantasy Live Online, Dino Crisis 3, and of course Ninja Gaiden should go a long ways to spurring sales. Yet if Microsoft really wants to succeed in the Japanese market it's going to take more than a few isolated game releases. In all likelihood, sometime during 2003 Microsoft will purchase or partner with a major Japanese publisher (hmm...maybe SEGA). If Microsoft wants to survive, it's going to take something drastic! Japan is going to become a true test of just how bad Microsoft wants to dominate this market!

The Rare Factor
    Not only has Rare's shifting allegiance punched a massive whole in the Gamecube's developer support but it has given Microsoft quite possibly it's most powerful ally yet! For a mere 375 million green backs, MS acquired 5 separate development houses and Rare's entire library of Franchises (Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Conker, Banjo, etc). Rare has pledged that 5 Xbox games will be shipped within the next two years. So far the only games we know of are Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero yet just these two titles seem to be slowly shifting the course of this race.

A recent IGN report stated that one of the most wanted games for gamers who don't own an Xbox is none other than Perfect Dark Zero, a very good sign that when the game finally ships it's going to bring over a lot of Gamecube enthusiasts with it! The number of defectors is also only going to mount as more and more Rare games are released on Xbox!

Personally, Xbox is gonna edge the GameCube out in the U.S. and Europe in 2003 (hard to believe a year-one rookie lead in sales in 2 out of the 3 major markets over the infamous twenty-year veteran Nintendo) and start gaining ground on PS2 (games like Splinter Cell, Halo 2, and Project Gotham Racing 2 look absurdly better than anything on PS2). Sony has won this race, but Microsoft could very well breath down the neck of Sony in 2003.

Xbox is gonna shine in 2003 for sure...
    Last edited by X-Factor; 12-09-2002 at 05:02 PM.
    █▀▀ ▀█▀ █▀▀ ███ █▀█ ▀█▀ █░█ █▀█ █▀▀
    ▀▀█ ░█░ █░█ █░█ █▀█ ░█░ █░█ ██▀ █▀▀
    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀

Very interesting read X-Factor!

Personally, I'm really looking forward 2k3 for the RPG's. Fable, Star Wars: KOTOR and Sudeki are going to be huge! And as for the online world, we got True Fantasy Live Online and Phantasy Star Online that are coming out next year. Gonna be a great year for X, thats for sure!!
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

I do think 2003 is going to be Xbox best year. I think sales will start to do better in Japan next year. I think they'll easily widen the gap between Gamecube because it doesn't seem like they are releasing much. As for the Playstation 2, it will be tough because there are sequels to good games coming in 2003. It still might be tough to get close to PLaystation 2 though.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Exclamation

Originally posted by Dre
    Very interesting read X-Factor!

Personally, I'm really looking forward 2k3 for the RPG's. Fable, Star Wars: KOTOR and Sudeki are going to be huge! And as for the online world, we got True Fantasy Live Online and Phantasy Star Online that are coming out next year. Gonna be a great year for X, thats for sure!!
    Year one of Xbox was pretty lackluster as far as RPGs were concerned (Morrowind was the only RPG that Xbox even got). With RPGs like Project Ego/Fable, KOTOR, Sudeki, True Fantasy Star Online, Phantasy Star Online, Duality, and Strident, Xbox looks to be thee console for RPG lovers (the only thing missing here is an Xbox Final Fantasy treatment from Square)...

If you really are a fan of RPGs, you should really check out Kameo: Elements of Power; the game is being developed by Rare, and hits Xbox exclusively early next year...

Personally, FPS is my favorite genre, and THEE three best of the genre hit Xbox exclusively in 2003--Halo 2, Doom 3, and Perfect Dark Zero (absolutely not one FPS on either PS2 or GameCube even come close to any one of those three). If you are ever remotely interested in the genre, the X is where it's at, baby!
    █▀▀ ▀█▀ █▀▀ ███ █▀█ ▀█▀ █░█ █▀█ █▀▀
    ▀▀█ ░█░ █░█ █░█ █▀█ ░█░ █░█ ██▀ █▀▀
    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀

Chancellor Of Dark Enemy # 1 Stunner's Avatar

ya good post i cant wait for sum more fps and rpgs online....

Mmm..next year....all three of the major consoles are going to shine....the xbox is going to gain some major ground...this is going to be the make or break year for the gamecube..(if they nintendo can't rally their forces..they are as good as dead).....Mmm..my old friend, the old work horse..Playstation 2 even if the programmers are learning new tricks..the old girl is starting to show it's age now. Even with the craftsmanship of all of the big name japanese gamemakers....she can only go so far...Looks like all eyes are going to be on the xbox....but then again nothing is set in stone...there may be a few shockers next year.....anything can happen.......
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

bust a nut

good post, good thing to read about

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

Default A very satisfying post indeed.

Actually, if you like Rpgs, First person shooters, or even fighting games.....Xbox is the place too be. Hey X-factor, you got any good reads on fighting games for 2003?

I heard about a first person fighter coming from namco.
    Theres also soul calibur, DOA4, Capcom vs. SNK online (sweet), marvel vs capcom 2 ( with rumors of online), and even a cool virtual fighter 4 : evolution.

Yep. 2003 will move masses, especially with genre-defining games such as Fable.

Theres also a little game called Return to castle wolfenstein: tides of war. Just thought you should know, this game has been changed so much it cant even be called a port anymore.

Anyway. Just thought i give my fellow xbox'ers something more to get excited about.

And even though they havent said anything yet......I really cant wait what RARE will do with the killer instinct franchise. I absolutely LOVE that game.
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Default Re: A very satisfying post indeed.

Originally posted by TheCovenant
    I heard about a first person fighter coming from namco.
    Theres also soul calibur, DOA4, Capcom vs. SNK online (sweet), marvel vs capcom 2 ( with rumors of online), and even a cool virtual fighter 4 :
    Hey just give me some of that Virtua Fighter and you'll find a very big hole that has to be filled, most of the beat 'em ups are pretty weak sure Mortal Kombat: DA is a fun game but doesn't have the skill needed to play a game like VF also get the SNK team over here with Metal Slug, King of the Fighters etc, etc and we'll have a killer year for the XBOX

I heard that they were going to release an MMORPG on Xbox (star wars galaxies) to compete with PS2's EQ Adventures and FF11

is this true?

Good article though

One game that I hope will be great is Brute Force. It sure looks good from the trailers I've seen.

The X-Factor, especially in the heavily subscribed places with broadband, is XBOX Live. To get the same functionality working PROPERLY, the external hard drive and broadband connection is needed to be purchased for an exisiting PS2, where as the XBOX Live is just asking for the much simpler headphone and software kit.
    I see many passing up on the PS2 online option as it seems to be that little bit fiddly to get running - add this here, add that there, THEN add the network cable to the broadband. It's like asking the home PC user to add a new PCI network card, new hard drive, then it's ready for them to use, not for many people.....

XBOX Live will be the area where MS will look to gain the ground on Sony. It will be converting those who think the PC is the ONLY place for online gaming, now the XBOX is very similar, and has the added vocal taunting option that doesn't eat into the bandwidth...

Look out as the games continue to largen the XBOX catalogue, and the upcoming new price point for high selling games. Just like Sony it will soon have the added point of "Here are some great games, that are a lot cheaper than the new ones" That will get people hooked.....

I've noticed on ebgames.com, the Xbox has more future release games listed than Playstation 2. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before.
    Now Playing

Yes indeed, in 2003, Xbox will be getting the bulk of my money. In 2002 I bought 8 titles for Xbox and 7 titles for GameCube. I can see the in 2003 that my GC will be getting very little love.
    Not only is my opinion biased, it's better.

questions that are in my head though.

-everquest was and still is the biggest mmorpg on the pc. it could end up being the game that takes all the flame out of xboxlive. starwars galaxies doesnt really count because it is coming out on the ps2 as well, so if everquest takes the flame out of xboxlive ,then galaxies isnt the game to get the flame back. so its interesting to see what is going to happen there.

- the xbox looks like it has some good games coming out at the beginning of next year but after about february, things get slim again. and will probably be that way till the next holiday season with the only hype builder being e3. if the ps2 comes out with some A titles in those months its going to be like starting all over again with the xmas season hype.

-if halo 2 is mediocre, the xbox will be the laughing stock of all 3 consoles

-Im willing to bet that another all new gta will be announced for the ps2 (at e3) to be released the holiday season, and it may have online play. that would be a killer blow to the xbox

- who if anybody has bought those sega shares or sega? could end up being really good or really bad for xbox

Originally posted by rockola
    1. -everquest was and still is the biggest mmorpg on the pc. it could end up being the game that takes all the flame out of xboxlive. starwars galaxies doesnt really count because it is coming out on the ps2 as well, so if everquest takes the flame out of xboxlive ,then galaxies isnt the game to get the flame back. so its interesting to see what is going to happen there.

2. - the xbox looks like it has some good games coming out at the beginning of next year but after about february, things get slim again. and will probably be that way till the next holiday season with the only hype builder being e3. if the ps2 comes out with some A titles in those months its going to be like starting all over again with the xmas season hype.

3. -if halo 2 is mediocre, the xbox will be the laughing stock of all 3 consoles

4. -Im willing to bet that another all new gta will be announced for the ps2 (at e3) to be released the holiday season, and it may have online play. that would be a killer blow to the xbox

5. - who if anybody has bought those sega shares or sega? could end up being really good or really bad for xbox
    1. True Fantasy Live Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Phantasy Star Online are a few MMORPG's off the top of my head that are on their way to Xbox Live. And EQ is never going to take the flame out of XBL, its just one game type, and its one gametype that has already found its niche on PC.

2. I'm not really up-to-date on the release dates of all games, but I think its pretty safe to say, that being bored won't be happening anytime soon. From february till E3, all gaming platforms suffer from the reclusive nature of all companies wanting to make big names for themselves at E3. Its the way the biz works, nothing different there.

3. We all know this won't happen. Bungie is 100% aware of the anticipation for this game. Rest assured they won't be delivering a "mediocre" product.

4. So? Its pretty normal that other game consoles are going to get killer titles. If they didn't, they wouldn't be competition, so I fail to see the point here. Online GTA? Yay.. I get to go steal cars with a bunch of other people stealing cars..

5. Remains to be seen...
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

dont forget Sea Dogs 2. Its damn cool to own your own pirate ship and crew.
    Your sig image is too big. The entire sig can be no larger than 500x250 pixels. Please reduce it in size before you repost. Thanks, XBA Staff.

Originally posted by rockola
    questions that are in my head though.

-everquest was and still is the biggest mmorpg on the pc. it could end up being the game that takes all the flame out of xboxlive. starwars galaxies doesnt really count because it is coming out on the ps2 as well, so if everquest takes the flame out of xboxlive ,then galaxies isnt the game to get the flame back. so its interesting to see what is going to happen there.

- the xbox looks like it has some good games coming out at the beginning of next year but after about february, things get slim again. and will probably be that way till the next holiday season with the only hype builder being e3. if the ps2 comes out with some A titles in those months its going to be like starting all over again with the xmas season hype.

-if halo 2 is mediocre, the xbox will be the laughing stock of all 3 consoles

-Im willing to bet that another all new gta will be announced for the ps2 (at e3) to be released the holiday season, and it may have online play. that would be a killer blow to the xbox

- who if anybody has bought those sega shares or sega? could end up being really good or really bad for xbox
    The only way a GTA type game would only be on Playstation 2 is if Sony makes it. I have already heard from Everquest fans that the Playstation 2 version of the game sucks. They said that they tested it.
    Now Playing

I dont think by any means that the xbox will do as the dreamcast did. The console is just to good. The dreamcast (in my opinion) released too early perhaps if the hadof kept working on it and released when xbox, ps2, and gamecube did i think there sucess would have been higher. And as some of u were saying Halo2 (which i do plan to buy) will boost sales. So i think the outlook for the xbox is good.
    Laughman

I think everyone has been looking forward to year 2003 for xbox since the xbox came out.
    poo!

Thread Information