Thread: Information on a StarWars game...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Information on a StarWars game...

I finally had a chance to look at my new PCGAMER mag that arrived yesterday, and smack on the cover was...STAR WARS GALAXIES. I'm not a SW freak (like Koopa) , but it's rare for something Star Wars to interest me as much as Galaxies. So I'm going to pour out all the information I have on this upcoming XBOX (and PC) title. This'll be a bit lengthy, so if you're not interested in reading the whole thing, I have an organized Table of Contents for you guys.

1) Selecting your species and appearance

2) Selecting your profession

3) So you want to be a Jedi...

4) Gameplay experience (including the improvements that Everquest needs.. )

5) Story

6) The XBOX relation...

1) Selecting your species and appearance

Before you start your epic journey, you must choose a character of the eight choices:
    - Bothan : (Short, furry, and sneaky, the Bothans are masters at information-gathering. Bothans speal Basic and Bothan, the language of their homeworld, Bothawui.

-Mon Calamari : The Mon Cal are an amphibious species best suited for watery enviroments (i.e., not Tatooine). They soeak Basic and Calamarian.

-Rodian : Natives of Rodia, these greedy long-snouted creatures are usuall green, blue, or purple. If you meet one, keep your distance: they can't be trusted. Speak Basic and Rodese.

-Trandoshan : A large and physically powerfulreptilian species, the Trans live in a warlike society on their homeworld, Dosha. Soeak slowly and calmy to them in Basic or their native Dosh.

-Twi'Lek : These tentacled humanoids are native to mountainious Ryloth in the Outer Rim. They're generally nonviolent, but they're not harmless. They speak Basic and Twi'Leki.

-Wookie : (My side note : everyone loves a wookie right?) They're immensely strong and subject to fits of rage, but can also be friendly and loyal. They speak ONLY Shyriiwook.

-Zabrak : (My side note : Darth Maul is Zabrak so you can picture them in your head, but w/out the tatooes) Horned humanoids with strong willpower, the Zabrak can be fiece warriors. It's rumored that legendary Lord Darth Maul was Zabrak. Speak Basic and Zabraki.

After you have chosen your race you can then select you characters vital stats by choosing your sex, musculature, and body shape. You can then alter their appearance to give your character a UNIQUE look.

2) Selecting your profession

After you've selected your race, appreance, etc. You can then select a profession. "Jedi" is not among them. I'll explain in further later. Professions fall into the fields of Science, Combat, Commerce, Adventurer, and Social. Some jobs include Chef, Doctor, Miner, Farmer, Ranger, Merchant, Combat Engineer, Smuggler, Architect, Politician, Entertainer (hehehe), Explorer, and Teras Kasi martial artist.

3) So you want to be a Jedi...

"To prevent the very un-star Wars circumstancs of hundreds, if not thousands, of spiring Jedi swashbuckling their way through Galaxies, SOE has made the ways of the force a firm secret. You'll have to become "force sensitive," though you'll have no idea hoew ths actually comes about. Starting out as a struggling Padawan, you'll slowly learn Jedi Skills (force powers), discover the secrets of building and wielding a lightsaber (only a jedi can construct or use one), and climb the career ladder to the esteemed mantle of Jedi Master. Jedi are in constant peril: Imperial gaurds will hunt you, you'll always be vulnerable to PvP (player vs player) attack, and few regular Joes will associate with you due to the abundant danger that surrounds you. For dark jedi, it's even worse: not only will the Empire ad Rebels be looking for you, but good jedi will be, too. It's a lonely virtual life. LucasArts suggests YOU PICK SOMETHING ELSE."

The developers (SOE) are trying their best to make this the most immersive Star Wars game. To do so, they'll have to display an accurate depiction of the Star Wars universe. Therefore there can't be thousands of Jedi, and they made sure it is difficult to become one.

4) Gameplay experience (including the improvements that Everquest needs.. )

Galaxies is skilled-based not level-based, much like Ultima Online. If you are unfamiliar with the term "skill-based", think Morrowind. For example, you shoot a Bantha with your blaster and kill it, your ranged combat skill will then increase. Once you have been transported to your city of choice, you can go solo, or team up with a Player Association (Not EverQuest's 'GUILDS'). You'll find youself teaming up with a like-minded player killing Krayt Dragons. XBOX LIVE only makes the process of strategizing with your friends during battles. All players start off neutral in this Galactic Civil War between the Empire and the Rebels, and as long as you stay neutral you will be immune to PvP (player vs player) attacks. If you join the Empire, you can buy or make your own Stormtrooper armor ,Stormtroopers are clones remember? From Episode II? But this doesn't mean you can't join a Player Association of Stormtroopers, not officially... If you choose to purchase insurance, when you die you'll spawn (a clone) with your belongings, otherwise you'll have to go hunting for your rotting corpse.

You can also engage in aircraft fighter combat, usually in a designated battlefield outside of a city's limits.

5) Story

Of course there is a story, but I didn't read that part of the article becuase I really don't want to spoil it for myself or you guys. Just expect plenty of scripted events and plenty of familiar looking NPCs like Jabba, C3PO, Luke, Han, etc. Look forward to a great story and sidequests.

6) The XBOX relation...

This article was published in issue #106 January 2003 or PCGAMER. PCGAMER, that means this is the PC version so they DON'T speak of the XBOX version, but the XBOX is mentioned in an insignificant sentence, "-tons of movie posters and action figures, and a meeting room that doubles as an XBOX hideaway." That's it. If anyone has news on the release of the XBOX port, feel free to post it.

Koopa will post screen shots.
    Last edited by Spartan-XBA; 12-18-2002 at 08:06 PM.

Starving College Student

heres some SWG pics

from the pc version though....
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I KNOW THERE ARE BETTER PICS THAN THOSE...

The PSKT is for...

Originally posted by Koopa
    heres some SWG pics
    casper!!! stop staring at Chewie's Ass!

Originally posted by PapaShaddix

casper!!! stop staring at Chewie's Ass!
    LOL

Take the screen shots of the butt's out. I don't want to look at it unless it was Christie's from DOA3.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

I think spartan gets A's in English.

56kers beware i have posted 10!! that right 10 BIG pics of (STWG)Starwars Galaxy.

P.S. u can thank me for the image blow out later.

Originally posted by rio2012
    I think spartan gets A's in English.
    Thanks, I used to get A's in english, then I got an XBOX.

Thanks for the pics, those are more like the pics I have in my PCGAMER mag.

56kers will have hell ofa time too.

[EDIT] Im going to add you to my friends list right now.

Starving College Student

the game itself is any self-respecting star wars fans' dream....my only fear is the monthly fee...i dont wanna be paying 10 bucks a month for SWG on top of the upcoming 10 bucks a month for XBL...
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Koopa
    the game itself is any self-respecting star wars fans' dream....my only fear is the monthly fee...i dont wanna be paying 10 bucks a month for SWG on top of the upcoming 10 bucks a month for XBL...
    Don't think we'll have to worry about that. Isn't that part of the agreements between Microsoft and developers? Microsoft is the only one that is allowed to charge for XBOX LIVE services? I dunno, makes sense. But if I have to pay a monthly fee for SWG, I might not buy it, unless I have a job by then.
    Last edited by Spartan-XBA; 12-19-2002 at 01:43 AM.

Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Thanks, I used to get A's in english, then I got an XBOX.

Thanks for the pics, those are more like the pics I have in my PCGAMER mag.

56kers will have hell ofa time too.

[EDIT] Im going to add you to my friends list right now.
    I've got a few A's in Composition, Advanced Speech, and Debate, TV and Radio Production. The thing I was good at Compistion was writing a really long paper. That is wht a bunch of my post seem a bit long.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

I was pretty excited about this game till I saw the screens. Hopefully the environments will look much better by the time its released. I'd like to see a level of detail akin to that of SW: KOTOR. Cuz right now it just looks the same texture repeated over and over everywhere.
    The weak shall perish.
    Hidden Content

Starving College Student

Originally posted by Dre
    I was pretty excited about this game till I saw the screens. Hopefully the environments will look much better by the time its released. I'd like to see a level of detail akin to that of SW: KOTOR. Cuz right now it just looks the same texture repeated over and over everywhere.
    i think you're being a little harsh for two reasons...
    1) this is the PC version
    2) this is an entire, complete universe, not just a piece of the SW universe like in kotor...im thinking they needed more time on other areas, whereas in kotor they could make every area extremely detailed..
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Dre
    Thats the thing, my mag has better screens than most of these. The pics that Rio2012 showed, are closer to what the mag screens look like. I'm still going to buy it though.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

looks good. nice find spartan. nice find indeed.

Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Thread Information