Poll: Which is a real RPG game

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is the real RPG game

Question Which is the real RPG game

I say Final Fantasy.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

A role playing game is a game where you play the role of your own character, can roam around and play your characters role. Any third person game where you have a character that the game developers made that is fixed in a lonear plotline is NOT an rpg. Period. There is no discussion. Its common logic, if you cant roleplay, its not an rpg.

I started this topic because I knew you would have something to say EHWfedPres.
    Now Playing

Originally posted by Burning Ranger
    I started this topic because I knew you would have something to say EHWfedPres.
    I always have something to say.

Originally posted by EHWfedPres

I always have something to say.
    I can tell, but so do I. I am looking at setting up an AIM name, I just haven't decided what name I'm going to use yet.
    Now Playing

I can tell, but so do I. I am looking at setting up an AIM name, I just haven't decided what name I'm going to use yet.
    Yeah, its kind of hard to get a point across without saying anything...but with all these idiots that like only one thing and hate everything else for no reason at all, its still hard. At least I have played games from all three consoles and i can say what games I like and which I dont.

Yeah, its kind of hard to get a point across without saying anything...but with all these idiots that like only one thing and hate everything else for no reason at all, its still hard. At least I have played games from all three consoles and i can say what games I like and which I dont.
    I've played several games across all three platforms. Mainly the well-known titles. What did you think of Luiji's Mansion on Gamecube because I'm curious of what you thought of it?
    Now Playing

I've played several games across all three platforms. Mainly the well-known titles. What did you think of Luiji's Mansion on Gamecube because I'm curious of what you thought of it?

I havent played Luigi's Mansion, I only played the games that my friend has and ones at the consoles at Best Buy...I did play most of the big name titles like Mario Sunshine (at Best Buy), Super Smash Bro's Melee (at Best Buy and my friend has it), Resident Evil (friend), and a few more...

now that I come to think of it, i think my friend does have Luigi's Mansion, but Im not sure...ill have to ask him...

I havent played Luigi's Mansion, I only played the games that my friend has and ones at the consoles at Best Buy...I did play most of the big name titles like Mario Sunshine (at Best Buy), Super Smash Bro's Melee (at Best Buy and my friend has it), Resident Evil (friend), and a few more...

now that I come to think of it, i think my friend does have Luigi's Mansion, but Im not sure...ill have to ask him...
    I played all the games you've played. I personally feel Mario Sunshine is one of the worst Mario games made. Not really a bad game but a disgrace to Mario. I wanted to know about Luiji's Mansion because I thought it was one of the worst games ever. Boring, Boring, Boring.
    Now Playing

A role playing game is a game where you play the role of your own character, can roam around and play your characters role. Any third person game where you have a character that the game developers made that is fixed in a lonear plotline is NOT an rpg. Period. There is no discussion. Its common logic, if you cant roleplay, its not an rpg.
    What about games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana where you are given a character a basically allowed to develop his personality through in-game actions?

The American games are probably "truer" to the RPG spirit, but I think both styles can be defined as Role Playing Games. Japanese RPGs mearly give you the role to play.
    Hidden Content
    Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Leave it to Americans to think that "no" means "yes," "****ed" means "angry," and "curse word" means something other than a word that's cursed!"

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

how can you say that when you only like pc(american) rpg's?

you contradict yourself well, ehwfedpres......
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Originally posted by TheCovenant

how can you say that when you only like pc(american) rpg's?

you contradict yourself well, ehwfedpres......

what the hell are you talking about? try making a logical statement with factual evidence and then i might understand what you are talking about...when have I contradicted myself?

I never said I only like american or pc rpg's...if a jap company makes a good open-ended rpg, then i might like it...but the odds of that happening are 219038902184789324908392058904 to 0, so who cares...

well with those odds, then you have contradicted yourself.

you do know math right?

factual evidence.

are you dumb? just look back a few posts, or perhaps in the "2003:year of the rpg " thread.

you glorify american rpg's and hate japanese rpg's. so you only like american rpg's, and hate everything else.

just like the idiots , you claim we are.

thus, you contradicted yourself.

not only that, my 7 year old niece was the one that stated you contradicted yourself. if she can figure it out, why cant you?

Originally posted by TheCovenant
    well with those odds, then you have contradicted yourself.

you do know math right?

factual evidence.

are you dumb? just look back a few posts, or perhaps in the "2003:year of the rpg " thread.

you glorify american rpg's and hate japanese rpg's. so you only like american rpg's, and hate everything else.

just like the idiots , you claim we are.

thus, you contradicted yourself.

not only that, my 7 year old niece was the one that stated you contradicted yourself. if she can figure it out, why cant you?

Ok, after reading that, I firmly believe that you have no arguement what so ever. Why do I even try to have a friendly discussion with a person that has the intelligence of a 7 year old?

Now, show me EXACTLY where I have contradicted myself? But wait, before you do that...

http://www.dictionary.com
    you might want to look up the word first because judging from your previous posts, you obviously have no clue what the hell it means, so, being the nice compassionate human being that I am, i'll even look it up for you...

con·tra·dict ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kntr-dkt)
    v. con·tra·dict·ed, con·tra·dict·ing, con·tra·dicts
    v. tr.
    To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
    To deny the statement of. See Synonyms at deny.
    To be contrary to; be inconsistent with

There you go. the meaning of the word contradict...so where does that apply to any statements that I have made? Surely all my replies have been consistant and I have not said one thing and then the opposite...I say that I like REAL rpg's, you know, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, games in which you can role-play in...no, actually, you dont know. Go to a role-playing forum and ask anyone the meaning of the phrase "role-playing" and then TRY to apply that to third person action/adventure video games, and then come back here when you fail. until then, dont waste any more of my time.

Ok, after reading that, I firmly believe that you have no arguement what so ever. Why do I even try to have a friendly discussion with a person that has the intelligence of a 7 year old?

Now, show me EXACTLY where I have contradicted myself? But wait, before you do that...

http://www.dictionary.com
    you might want to look up the word first because judging from your previous posts, you obviously have no clue what the hell it means, so, being the nice compassionate human being that I am, i'll even look it up for you...

con·tra·dict ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kntr-dkt)
    v. con·tra·dict·ed, con·tra·dict·ing, con·tra·dicts
    v. tr.
    To assert or express the opposite of (a statement).
    To deny the statement of. See Synonyms at deny.
    To be contrary to; be inconsistent with

There you go. the meaning of the word contradict...so where does that apply to any statements that I have made? Surely all my replies have been consistant and I have not said one thing and then the opposite...I say that I like REAL rpg's, you know, ROLE PLAYING GAMES, games in which you can role-play in...no, actually, you dont know. Go to a role-playing forum and ask anyone the meaning of the phrase "role-playing" and then TRY to apply that to third person action/adventure video games, and then come back here when you fail. until then, dont waste any more of my time.
    that statement right there, the refusal to like any rpg's but american, which i have already proved you wrong in, and then you say you hate idiots who only like one thing. like you. you say you hate linear rpg's but love american rpg's.

so you hate yourself? because i was assuming that you do not hate yourself, otherwise you would be contradicting yourself.

just because you have a weird notion of what a real rpg is, doesnt mean it has any affect on anyone. so you can keep arguing, on the grounds that you think you know something, but do not, or face reality, and realize your contradiction.

Starving College Student

Originally posted by SlightlySycho
    What about games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana where you are given a character a basically allowed to develop his personality through in-game actions?

The American games are probably "truer" to the RPG spirit, but I think both styles can be defined as Role Playing Games. Japanese RPGs mearly give you the role to play.
    i have to agree here...some RPGs just give you alot less freedom, but the japanese rpgs sycho mentioned DO have some level of role-playing, more so than the RPG elements in some fighters and sports games, etc, but much less than in epics like morrowind and the soon-to-be-epic fable
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Koopa

i have to agree here...some RPGs just give you alot less freedom, but the japanese rpgs sycho mentioned DO have some level of role-playing, more so than the RPG elements in some fighters and sports games, etc, but much less than in epics like morrowind and the soon-to-be-epic fable
    yes.

Fear is the Mind Killer spike spiegel's Avatar

Originally posted by SlightlySycho

I agree that they are both totally different types of rpgs, but they are both rpgs.

The american ones tend to give you an identity to play with as you wish, were as the Japanese ones tend to give you a role such as would be given to an actor, were you can't change the script as much, but you are still playing the role of someone.

yes.

there are linear rpg's, and non-linear rpg's.

notice, both are RPG'S!

Technically all games are RPG's conisider in every game you are put into the roll of someone else's "life"

What most people consider RPG's are game with either a heavy basis on story(most japanese games) or a large level of open endness(most american rpgs)

Also most rpg's are based in either futuristic or midivil(the one people think of the most) time periods.

To argue of which is the real rpg is pretty pointless, since it's a rather large catagory.

[b] if a jap company makes a good open-ended rpg, then i might like it...but the odds of that happening are 219038902184789324908392058904 to 0, so who cares...[b/]

EHWfedPres by your definition Final Fantasy 11 would be an rpg since it completly open ended(being the fact that it is a MMORPG)
    And could you not use the word jap when you talk, I know it is short for Japanese, but it is a rather offense word and some japanese people that visit the board could be offended, plus you don't want people to think your a racist.

Laters,

Thread Information