Thread: New to RPG's

Default New to RPG's

I have never played a RPG game before but am cosidering getting one. I am thinking of either Morrowind, LOTR FOTR, LOTR 2T, or should I wait on Fable? Whats yo suggestions for someone who has never played a RPG?

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

get Morrowind first. Then you will not confuse all those stupid jap third person linear action/adventure games with real rpg's.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

Default Re: New to RPG's

Originally posted by TommyGunn
    I have never played a RPG game before but am cosidering getting one. I am thinking of either Morrowind, LOTR FOTR, LOTR 2T, or should I wait on Fable? Whats yo suggestions for someone who has never played a RPG?
    i recommend starting with a not so hard rpg. morrowind is for the more hardcore crowd. start with a good final fantasy.

oh, and don't listen to ehwfedpres, everyone at Xbox addict hates him, and he's very annoying.

there is one thing though. what is FOTR?

whatever....

if you want an rpg, right away, however, the only rpg on the xbox is morrowind.
    this may leave you with a sour taste of an rpg, because again, morrowind is more for the hardcore rpg gamer. and ehwfedpres, of course.
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Default Re: Re: New to RPG's

Originally posted by TheCovenant

there is one thing though. what is FOTR?
    i believe by when he said LOTR FOTR he ment lord of the rings fellowship of the ring

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

Default Re: Re: New to RPG's

Originally posted by TheCovenant
    oh, and don't listen to ehwfedpres, everyone at Xbox addict hates him, and he's very annoying.
    we have already discussed this in the off topic forum, where have you been? Nobody hates me...well, some of those nintendo and sony love children that haunt the debate forums do, but nevermind them...

If you want to play rpg's then dont play final fantasy, because thats not an rpg. its a third person action/adventure game.

Remember, if you cannot role-play in the game, then its not an rpg.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

Default Re: Re: Re: New to RPG's

Originally posted by EHWfedPres

we have already discussed this in the off topic forum, where have you been? Nobody hates me...well, some of those nintendo and sony love children that haunt the debate forums do, but nevermind them...

If you want to play rpg's then dont play final fantasy, because thats not an rpg. its a third person action/adventure game.

you play the role of squall. what is the problem? there, it's an rpg.
    i suggest you start with a linear rpg. starting with morrowind might seem overwhelming. it's simply, too much at once. if you think you can handle it, then by all means.

but if you want to wander into the rpg world, i suggest a final fantasy. there are final fantasies available for pc, like ff VIII(8).it should be like five bucks now, and it's a good place to start.
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Loves Katamari Damacy StudioAlex's Avatar

Default Re: Re: Re: New to RPG's

Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Well. if you wish to be technical, no computer game can truly be considered an rpg. Video game RPGs, whether they originate on consoles or computers, get their distinction by including elements from pen & paper RPGs. No matter what you wish to call FF, it will be considered an rpg because the stats and management. You can go on "educating" others on what makes an rpg but when all of us are dead and buried, FF will be remembered as an RPG.

Also, don't try to tell me that people who play everquest are actually roleplaying. They are just making their avatar act as they would act. True role playing is more akin to acting.

Get Morrowind and then get Fable. You will have enough money seeingas Fable probably wont come out until late 2003 or 2004.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

The best RPG for beginners is Albert Odyssey on Sega Saturn. That game got me into several Japanese RPG games more. That is still one of my favorite RPG games now. Morrowing is not a good start.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Get Morrowind and then get Fable. You will have enough money seeingas Fable probably wont come out until late 2003 or 2004.
    *weep* I really can't wait till 2004 for this, but no really Morrowind is for seasoned RPG'ers. Wait for Phantasy Star Online in a few months unless you don't have online access, I donno there aren't too many RPG's for Xbox

I have never played Phantasy Star Online, Online before and the game is still fun. One of my favorite Dreamcast games. Can't wait to buy it for Xbox.
    Now Playing

Originally posted by Burning Ranger
    I have never played Phantasy Star Online, Online before and the game is still fun. One of my favorite Dreamcast games. Can't wait to buy it for Xbox.
    Heh, online is where all the fun is! Except for those corpse robbers or fake traders (and dupers who take the fun outta collecting rares). Hopefully they fixed all those problems in this version. Can't wait to play this game with a voice communicator though, good times I see

Originally posted by studepaber

Heh, online is where all the fun is! Except for those corpse robbers or fake traders (and dupers who take the fun outta collecting rares). Hopefully they fixed all those problems in this version. Can't wait to play this game with a voice communicator though, good times I see
    I'm looking at getting Xbox Live when PSO comes out. I know several people here want me to get Xbox Live.
    Now Playing

Thread Information