Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some.....

RacerX0311

Default What are some.....

What are some good RPG games. I have never played one but I would like to try one. Could some one give me some choices and what a Role Playing Game is really like and all about?

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Morrowind

P.S. Or if you have patient, wait until the end of next year to get Fable !!!
    Back into the world of gaming.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

no flaming please....

final fantasy series.

dont have a ps2?

zelda:ocarina of time, zelda:majoras mask, Zelda:windwaker.

Dont have an N64 or a gamecube?

morrowind, everquest, baldurs gate, septerra core, diablo 1 and 2, ultima online, anarchy online, icewind dale series.

dont have a pc or would rather game on a console?

morrowind, for xbox.

sorry, but hey, we all know that xbox isnt the premier console for rpg's. im not saying that's all not gonna change, but as of now, just about any other system would be good for rpg's. i am of course speaking as an rpg fan. not an xbox fanboy.
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Shenmue II just came out a few weeks ago. I couldn't get into the first one, but the second one seems to be much better. Not really an RPG in the traditional sense; kind of a genre-blender. But it does have strong plot elements combined with an interactive world and character development. Controls take a little while to get used to, but once you do you shouldn't have any problems.
    Hidden Content
    Sychotic Quote for the Whenever: "Leave it to Americans to think that "no" means "yes," "****ed" means "angry," and "curse word" means something other than a word that's cursed!"

Originally posted by SlightlySycho
    Shenmue II just came out a few weeks ago. I couldn't get into the first one, but the second one seems to be much better. Not really an RPG in the traditional sense; kind of a genre-blender. But it does have strong plot elements combined with an interactive world and character development. Controls take a little while to get used to, but once you do you shouldn't have any problems.
    true true. i guess you could have some fun with that. you could also try Genma onimusha. thats a great role playing adventure game, with some traditional rpg elements.

i dont really consider onimusha an rpg i would like to understand what makes you consider it one and tell me im interested in this point of view on that game.
    "I would rather Die, than forsake any one of them" Tenchi Masaki ep.6
    "He must be trouble.... for the ladies" Funaho ep.12

This is what I STRONGLY suggest if you've never played an RPG before: Play The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. For the same price as an Xbox game you can buy a used N64 and the game and play what I believe to be the best game ever. I also advocate getting morrowind, but if you're totally unfamilar with RPGs Zelda is a great way to get hooked on them. It's what hooked me.

same here the very first rpg i ever played was ocarina of time and I loved it from the start and after that i got a playstation and moved on to the final fantasies.

If you want to go old school play FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger.

Also I loved Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night.

For PC I heard Asheron's Call 2 is supposed to be pretty good.

the best RPG on ps2 is by far , the game called Suikoden III , its the best RPG I have ever played , it is worth the price and purchase of PS2 alone.

- Brad

Originally posted by Chandlz
    If you want to go old school play FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger.

Also I loved Castlevainia: Symphony of the Night.

For PC I heard Asheron's Call 2 is supposed to be pretty good.
    Do not get Asheron's Call 2. I played 1, and it is so linear. Wait for Galaxies or something besides getting AC2. I heard it is horrible. You can max out your level in a day.
    Green = Good
    Red = Sucks
    I own all of the following games
    Halo, Crimson Sea, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Morrowind, Blinx, Dead or Alive 3, NFL Fever 2002, NFL Fever 2003, Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Whacked!, Splinter Cell, Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO, Phantasy Star Online (preorder)
    NightCaster, Blood Wake, Fuzion Frenzy, Hitman 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Dave Mirra BMX 2, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Totaled!
    Wish List: (Until Summer)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive: XTreme Beach Volleyball, Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Midtown Madness 3, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero

Hidden Content Former Xbox Live Beta Tester.

I have played chrono trigger and its my favorite rpg of all time i dont know why particularly and cross was awsome to. I just got a snes emulator and i have FF2-5 and im going to beat them all if any of them are horrible i would like to kow before i start beating them.

Default Best RPG.....

4 me the best rpg is either shenmue 2 (speaking of i'm starting a thread 4) or morrowind.

Soldier of the Wasteland EHWfedPres's Avatar

Default Re: Best RPG.....

Originally posted by dbryant341
    4 me the best rpg is either shenmue 2 (speaking of i'm starting a thread 4) or morrowind.
    Shenmue 2 isnt an rpg, its an action/adventure game.

The only REAL rpg on any platform (besides the pc) is Morrowind.

Default Re: Re: Best RPG.....

Originally posted by EHWfedPres
    Shenmue 2 isnt an rpg, its an action/adventure game.

The only REAL rpg on any platform (besides the pc) is Morrowind.
    Suikoden III, Wild Arms 3, Final Fantasy X, Shadow Hearts, Jade Cocoon 2, Evolution Worlds, Skies of Arcadia Legend, Grandia II, Legend of Legaia 2, etc. All of those are real RPG games. Morrowind is just an action title. The point of RPG games is entering commands for your character to do things.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Ive said before, any game is an RPG if you look at it the certain way. Platformers - You take the role of a character and do whatever you have to do to save something or someone. Sports - You take the role of a player. Etc. Yea, I know this is kinda pointless but I just thought I would point it out. Anyway, supposing you are talking about Xbox RPG's, get Morrowind (sooo good), maybe Nightcaster 2 (I heard it was alright, nothing great though) or Metal Dungeon (which is an acquired taste)
    Fav Teams -

NFL - Bucaneers, Ravens, Eagles
    NBA - Mavericks, Kings, Pistons
    NHL - Avalanche, Flyers, Red Wings
    MLB - Orioles, Indians

I'd like to try Metal Dungeon but nowhere has it to rent. I've like a few dungeon explorers like Time Stalkers and Shining The Holy Ark.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Default RPG's "the legends of the dragoon"

If you have a PS1 then check out:

"The Legend of the Dragoon"

IMO it has the same feel as the final fantasys but has a little twist. the battles are still turn based like the FF's but when you attack timming is also considered. great game.

one suggestion though: If you go with this game get the stratagy guide. the only down fall to this game is you must collect items called stardust. you can't beat the game unless you found all of them. "it would suck to get to the very end and realize you missed one. that is quite a vast world with infinate possibilities to go back to and try to find one.

burning ranger, by all the games you named earlier as good rpg's, i could have sworn we were brothers.

lemme guess, you also had a dreamcast, and loved it with all your heart?

well all i must say is, the part in grandia 2 where you discover that God died, isnt that one of the greatest gaming moments......EVER!?!?!?!?!?!?

not to many people have played grandia 2 and i have been dying to talk to someone about it.........for 5 years now.......

I'd say Morrowind. But since it's your first time playing an RPG Im not sure. Ive been playing RPG's for my whole life and this is kinda confusing for me. The xbox is kind of lacking in the rpg area. What other platforms do you own?

Thread Information