Thread: Surround Sound

Default Surround Sound

I have reciently been looking into putting surround sound inm my room. I am light on cash tho and i only have $100 to spend. Since thats obviously not enough for a recieve, speakers, and a sub, ive been looking for an all-in-one setup. I want something that I can use on both my Xbox and PS2. Universal Game Zone 5.1 Speakers
    Before I buy these, is there anyone else that has them that can tell me off there good. I also would like to know if i can have my PS2 and Xbox hooked up to them at the same time. Or, does anyone know of another 5.1 surround sound system i can get for $100 or less?

Well for a $100 there isn't going to be much difference between anything else. If it works with the xbox then what the hay, go for it.

As for both at the same time you probably can. PS2 uses stereo rca connections and the xbox would use the optical. Does that setup really have an optical connection? I couldn't find anything that said yes or no. If it is claiming 5.1 then it should but you never know on these things.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
    Well for a $100 there isn't going to be much difference between anything else. If it works with the xbox then what the hay, go for it.

As for both at the same time you probably can. PS2 uses stereo rca connections and the xbox would use the optical. Does that setup really have an optical connection? I couldn't find anything that said yes or no. If it is claiming 5.1 then it should but you never know on these things.
    while as far as I know PS2 has an optical cable plug in so it might use that....but i didnt think there was an optical port on xbox....do I need to by some other hardware for it?

You would need the advanced A/V pack for the xbox. It has the optical connection. I would still use the optical connection for the xbox and not for the PS2 as it doesn't even utilize DD 5.1, just prologic and prologic II. All xbox games support Dolby Digital and most fully utilize DD 5.1.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

It seems to me those are only speakers, no reciever. So you would still need a main unit.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I suggest looking for the product on a site that has customer reviews and\or buying from a store that has a good return policy if you're not satisfied.

Originally posted by ARONO129
    I suggest looking for the product on a site that has customer reviews and\or buying from a store that has a good return policy if you're not satisfied.
    While all the reviews on gamestop and eb are 4-5 star accept for a few....and I think they should both have a good return polocy

as far as the reciever...i dont think I will need one, because that is probaly something they would say on the site. I believe all the satalites hook to the sub, and then the sub hooks to your system

I have the GameZone 4.1 system. It's basically the same thing as the 5.1 except the 5.1 has a bigger subwoofer and an extra speaker. You can't get true 5.1 surround sound (due to no optical in), but they still sound pretty good for the price.
    -Scott

if i were you id save up till you get 199 or higher and heheh wait till after thanksgiving and get a system thats on sale hehe

thats what i did and i got a sony reciever for the normal 200 and got free 150 dollar speakers wooo hoooo
    Moderator of the best xbox forums on the planent (in my opinion) Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have decided not to get surround sound as PS2 only supports it during cut-scenes. Once I own PS3 and Xbox 2, I will get surround sound but thats to far away for me to think about now

thanks to all who provided me with information

Have you looked at the Yamaha TSS-1, that is what you need for a true Dolby Digital 5.1 system, it has the decoding chip inside the central unit that all the speakers connect to.

Originally posted by BCan
    Have you looked at the Yamaha TSS-1, that is what you need for a true Dolby Digital 5.1 system, it has the decoding chip inside the central unit that all the speakers connect to.

Built-in Dolby Digital®, DTS®, and Dolby Pro-Logic® decoding for premier theater-style surround sound.

• 5.1-Channel System for DVD movies, games, and music
    • 4.1-Channel Surround Sound for PC and Console Games
    • Virtual Surround Sound Stereo for music and multimedia CDs

Does this mean I can only use 4.1 sound on consoles....I know Xbox supports 5.1 sound but can I use it with these speakers?

Also while i want to confirm that this works on Xbox and PS2 and I do not need a reciever (i know I will need the advacned av pack for xbox right)

Also how much are these...i cant find an MSRP on the site

It only mentions 4.1 for consoles, since I assume it was referring to the PS2 and N64, rather than the XBOX when they wrote it. With the Advanced AV pack, you can use the optical output to get the Dolby Digital sound from in games on the XBOX.
    It emulates the surround sound from a stereo source, which the PS2 gives in game, and puts it into most of the speakers. It is basically describing the "virtual surround" part at the end again for consoles. It uses Dolby Pro-Logic to give a stereo source a "fake" surround sound.

Advice: Ignore their 4.1 boast, it is 5.1 for the XBOX

The speakers have a central control unit, which contains the DTS and Dolby Digital (Both 5.1 decoding standards) decoder, which is in essence the "receiver" part of this system. It decodes the digital signal, and sends it to the speakers as true discrete 5.1 surround.

It is not the usual practice of the manufacturer to directly quote prices on a website, unless they sell it themselves online, but I am from Australia, and they are listed a AU$392, and listed somewhere around $160 US I believe.

They are as good as you will get that will properly support Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, without the need for an expensive receiver and more speakers....

I am going to get them soon for my PC, and will make for an easy Dolby Digital setup to lug around with my XBOX....

Thread Information