Thread: Xbox beats Gamecube In Japan

Default Xbox beats Gamecube In Japan

Here you go:

Xbox Outsells GameCube In Japan
    17 Feb 2003 11:25 GMT

Alan Dykes
    Figures for the end of January represent a milestone for Microsoft's console.
    Microsoft's Xbox console has beaten Nintendo's GameCube for the first time since it launched, according to sales figures compiled by Shukan Fami-tsu Data Inc, which collates information from Japan's seven biggest videogame retailers, as well as the independent sector.

For the week ending Friday 31 January the Xbox sold 8,862 units, versus 8,177 GameCubes - and in the same week Xbox software sales accounted for an unprecedented 16 percent of the market, mainly led by Tecmo's Dead Or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Sony will hardly be troubled by the news though - although PS2 sales were down week on week, it still managed to shovel more than 58,000 consoles out of the door, helped no doubt by an astonishing 309,279 first-week sales for Capcom's Devil May Cry 2.

Another significant milestone is about to be hit by Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Although their combined sales are now down to 'just' over 33,000 units a week, a grand total of nearly four million have been sold since launch last November.
    Source: http://www.gamer.tv/page/feature/3401606.htm
    Last edited by shrew king; 02-17-2003 at 04:02 PM.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

Bout damn time we have some good news.
    Green = Good
    Red = Sucks
    I own all of the following games
    Halo, Crimson Sea, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Morrowind, Blinx, Dead or Alive 3, NFL Fever 2002, NFL Fever 2003, Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Whacked!, Splinter Cell, Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO, Phantasy Star Online (preorder)
    NightCaster, Blood Wake, Fuzion Frenzy, Hitman 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Dave Mirra BMX 2, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Totaled!
    Wish List: (Until Summer)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive: XTreme Beach Volleyball, Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Midtown Madness 3, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero

Hidden Content Former Xbox Live Beta Tester.

Actually, that's incorrect. I have a link that shows GC outselling Xbox in Japan http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

I'm posting here right now because I couldn't get comfortable posting anywhere else.
    Now Playing
    Star Ocean: TLH (360) | Killzone 2 (PS3) | Star Ocean: FD (PSP)

Originally posted by Burning Ranger
    Actually, that's incorrect. I have a link that shows GC outselling Xbox in Japan http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm
    Actually the link you posted has nothing to do with the link that shrew king posted since they are two different months. Check your dates.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
    Actually the link you posted has nothing to do with the link that shrew king posted since they are two different months. Check your dates.
    It may have that week but that still doesn't equal total sales for the year though. Nintendo will still have Japan because Pokemon games sell millions.

I will say that I want Xbox to continue selling better than GC in Japan but I can't guarntee it.
    Now Playing

OMG.. you think we don't know that BR. Seriously.

ANYWAY, good news.

Actually, that's incorrect.
    No it isn't.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

Originally posted by shrew king
    No it isn't.
    That still is no where near what PS2 sells in Japan. GC has already sold over 2 million systems there Xbox sold just 350,000 systems there. PS2 has over 10 million systems in Japan. It would be tough for Xbox to catch up. Plus, the Xbox would have to have at least 1 million system to get Konami back to developing games for it.

It was my fault that I didn't get the dates correct.
    Now Playing

Man, I thought this fool left. Burning Ranger, I tried to get some respect for you but I just keep losing it.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Man, I thought this fool left. Burning Ranger, I tried to get some respect for you but I just keep losing it.
    Why? Because he supports PS2?

Wondering Around

Microsoft has never had any hope of catching gamecube in japan, nor the ps2 worldwide nor have they stated anything close to saying that. Microsofts main base is the United States and parts of europe where they are being very competitive with the gamecube.

That still is no where near what PS2 sells in Japan.
    We aren't talking about the PS2. You think I don't know what you are telling me?

GC has already sold over 2 million systems there Xbox sold just 350,000 systems there.
    Is this thread called: "XBOX BEATS GAMECUBE IN SALES OVERALL!"?

I'll answer it for you: No.

Why? Because he supports PS2?
    I would guess it is because he is an attention whore.
    Hidden Content

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

Just because of the ultra extreme sexiest game ever made by Tecmo: Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball !!! Anyway, good news !!
    Back into the world of gaming.

Bump =)
    Hidden Content

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

That's really good news. For a long time, I was thinking that the Japanese were completely blind from greatness. :o

Awesome News!!!
    Hidden Content ULTRA-VIOLENCE!

Sleeping

Speaking of Capcom, I will wonder along with Mikami-san just how many of those PlayStation2's are replacements.

Thanks for the news, shrew king. Better to be the bearer of good tidings. There is an as yet barely-tapped hardcore gamer market for Xbox and Xbox games in Japan.

Thread Information