Thread: Colin McRae Review....here first!

Default Colin McRae Review....here first!

Just picked up Colin McRae Rally the other day! I have been itching for another Rally car game since Rallysport was released!

The menus on the game are very plain and boring. They have a single race mode, an multiplayer race mode and championship mode.

The single and multiplayer mode are pretty strait forward. The biggest problem is that when you pick a track it just has its name, you cannot see the track layout until you actually select it and load the game....a big downfall if you ask me!!!! There is no music in the game, just the dude telling you where the turns are. No custom soundtrack option either.

The championship mode is really cool. You start out with one car, you then get to setup and test your car before you take off. There are usually 3 races per day. So any damage you take will appear in the next race until you finish the day, which is really cool. My first time racing I wrecked so much that nothing was really left of my car but its frame and it had a nasty pull to the left. Once you finish a race the next one starts off where ever you left off. In other words if you were 10 secounds out of first you would have to wait 10 secs before you could take off in the next race. After a couple day event your total time is taken and who ever has the smallest time wins the event. Very cool... You win upgrades depending on what place you finish overall.

The graphics are very well done, though they arn't as good as Rallysport the added extras will not make you notice the shortcommings. There are definatly some things I like about this game better then RallySport, one being the realtime car damage. You can loose just about everything on your car (bumpers, glass, hoods, lights, etc. ). It is really cool blazing down the track slamming into trees and having your bumper dragging behind you barely attached. I remember one race my car was on its last race for the day, it was so messed up neither of the doors would stay closed so each time I took a corner they would swing open and shut!!! Very cool! The cars have dirt show up on them as you get further along in the race. Playing 2 player mode the dust cloud you kick up is huge! It is very hard to see when behind someone! Very realistic.

The tracks are have tons more stuff to wreck into. There are really dense areas where you have to master the slide to get around. I remeber taking a wrong turn, flying though a dense forest comming back to the track and cutting some time off! Very cool. The game dosn't restart your car like it does on Rallysport. The only times it will restart you if you take a wrong turn and go a fair amount out of the way.

The handling on the car is a little tricky to get used to. you have to master letting off the gas to pull out of a slide. Seems a bit sluggish until you get it down, then it actually quite effective!

Overall I am in love with this game, if you loved RallySport GET THIS GAME! Definatly worth your time! Any more questions let me know!

Hey thanks for the review, I'll probably pick this up this weekend. Do you think this plays better than Rallisport? Also how do the cars control (loose, tight?) If you drive a few yards off the road does it reset your car to the middle of the road? hrrrmm also how detailed is the environment, are there good weather effects, do trees sway in the wind? BTW I don't care too much about ingame music, I usually turn it off anyway.

Wow I didn't even realize it was out yet....just came out the 19th!

Do you think this plays better than Rallisport? Also how do the cars control (loose, tight?) If you drive a few yards off the road does it reset your car to the middle of the road? hrrrmm also how detailed is the environment, are there good weather effects, do trees sway in the wind? BTW I don't care too much about ingame music, I usually turn it off anyway.
    Its is more simulation then arcade, but still intense! I like them both about equally, they both have there ups and downs!

You don't get reset as often....I have only actually been reset twice. Thats becuase I went way out of the way! There also isn't a reset button so make sure you stay on track. For instance If the course goes to the right and you go into the woods on the right you can usually keep going, as long as the track meet up with your path, but if you go to the left to far you will reset. Again the game lets you go pretty far before reseting!

The cars control is a bit looser then on RallySport, but with some tweaking with the car settings you can change it to the way you prefer!

The enviroment looks good. It has alot more trees, and stuff to run into but the detail is not as good as RallySport but VERY close. Some of the forests are very dense and deadly to drive though but If you make it though unscratched you can cut out some time! Definatly more stuff in the way to manuver around. Tracks have more jumps to, when you land wrong you can loose your hood or pop open the hatchback or doors! Very cool effect!

Haven't seen any weather effects yet becuase they happen at random, but the sunsets are really good looking! As far as the trees swaying in the wind haven't really payed attention to it because I was trying to get though them without wrecking...Game seems a tad slower then Rallysport, but still just as fun!

Cool thanks for the review. Too bad they have no custom soundtrack option, nothing like doing a huge powerslide while "Klubbed to Death" is playing in the backgorund.

Originally posted by GokuX
    Too bad they have no custom soundtrack option, nothing like doing a huge powerslide while "Klubbed to Death" is playing in the backgorund.
    So you can be like a Nissan commercial?
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

The game has been out in europe for at least 2 months now....It's a great rally game game.
    Handling is excellent and gives a VERY responsive car.

How come they sometimes send out a game before in Europe than in the U.S. and vice versa ?? I don't get that...
    I'm happy to 0wn:
    Halo | Dead or Alive 3 | RalliSport Challenge | Project Gotham Racing | Hunter: The Reckoning | Enclave | Buffy The Vampire Slayer | Splinter Cell | Moto GP | Colin McRae Rally 3 | Tao Feng | Dark Angel | Midtown Madness 3

Looking forward to:
    Halo 2 | Deus Ex 2 | DOOM 3 | Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
    So you can be like a Nissan commercial?
    Yes that came to mind every time I was pulling a huge slide in Rallisport. Good racing song IMO.

Ok I went out and bought the game tonight (I had to try 5 different places, the first 4 were sold out but Gamespot of all places had it. ) So far this game is awesome, compared to Rallisport graphics aren't as good but the controls have a more realistic feel to them. One MAJOR disappointment for those that like to play 2-4 player splitscreen, when racing against each other you can't see your other opponents!!!!!! Maybe it's something you have to unlock (doubtful), but when I'm racing against my buddies I like to slam em into trees and rocks and such. Ah well still a great game and for those who liked Rallisport you definitely won't be disappointed (unless you're playing splitscreen....)

Man, Ive been waiting for this game for ages. Delay after delay after delay!

I preordered it from EB earlier this week. They said today, but apparently its been held over till tomorrow (Canada owns! lol)

Anyway, Im glad to hear it wasnt a letdown.
    I look forward to playing my copy tomorrow

~~~XboXPrYdE!!~~~

Wondering Around

i was thinking about getting it to strengthen my racing games in my collection.. but i'm really starting to lean towards picking up Apex in the next couple days. I have rallisport, and thats about as much rally racing as i can handle =)

Talking

Originally posted by ginaguy18p0r
    Last edited by maneatingcow-XBA on 02-22-2003 at 01:15 AM
    I'm guessing he wasn't a big fan of the game.

Well, it looks like my canadian copy has been delayed AGAIN.
    No real surprise here.. it seems to happen almost everytime.
    Monday is the new release date.
    Ive waited this long, whats another couple of days, right?

*patiently waits*

~~~XboXPrYdE!!~~~

Thread Information