Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halo the Movie?

Default Halo the Movie?

I don't know if this was posted earlier but I read this in an e-mail sent to me by GameSpy:

Talent agency Creative Artists Agency last year negotiated with Microsoft Game Studios to turn its first-party PC and Xbox Games into TV shows or movies, The Hollywood Reporter states. The company aims for a feature film based on Xbox action title Halo, while it collaborates with Oddworld creators Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to bring their vision of Abe beyond the game realm and into TV and movies. Already CAA represents Will Wright -- who is pitching two TV show concepts based on The Sims franchise -- and former Microsoft executive Jordain Weisman and his new company Wizkids, which hopes to bring its fantasy role-playing game Mage Knights to linear entertainment. The article also quotes American McGee and Todd Hollenshead.

From what it says is that they want to make a Halo movie. But is it just me or do a lot of movies based on games suck? If Halo ever does have a film created for it I hope Bungie makes sure they don't screw it up.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Sorry for the spam. I didn't mean to have 2 threads started. My comp is acting like a retard lately. Can any moderator please close one of the threads? Thanks to whoever does it.
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

Default Re: Halo the Movie?

Originally posted by Stormlord
    But is it just me or do a lot of movies based on games suck?
    It's just you. J/k, actually yeah pretty much all games based on movies are terrible. I think Final Fantasy was actually the best movie with a video game name. I think game to movie conversions end up stinking because the people making it write a story that really just stinks and doesn't follow the game at all. I think if they actually were more true to the game then it wouldn't be so bad. Yes I realize some games like Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat don't have much of a storyline, but look at MK: Annihilation and tell me that storyline was any better than just making a movie focusing soley on the tournament, kinda like Bloodsport rather than some goofy adventure with Raiden and the gang. I am 95% sure if they make a Halo movie, it will be some dumb story that doesn't resemble the game at all and will be crammed into an 1 hour and 30 minute film. For example, in the movie Master Chief has to battle with thoughts of a dead wife while at the same struggling to fit in as a genetically enhanced human. Meanwhile he has to rescue a little girl that is his long lost daughter from the clutches of the Covenant. You can see how pathetically this movie would shape up to be.

Default Re: Re: Halo the Movie?

Originally posted by GokuX
    actually yeah pretty much all games based on movies are terrible.
    Anyone find the part that's wrong in the sentence? Winnar gets 2 points!
    Green = Good
    Red = Sucks
    I own all of the following games
    Halo, Crimson Sea, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Morrowind, Blinx, Dead or Alive 3, NFL Fever 2002, NFL Fever 2003, Rallisport Challenge, Jet Set Radio Future, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, Whacked!, Splinter Cell, Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO, Phantasy Star Online (preorder)
    NightCaster, Blood Wake, Fuzion Frenzy, Hitman 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Dave Mirra BMX 2, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, Totaled!
    Wish List: (Until Summer)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta, Dead or Alive: XTreme Beach Volleyball, Sea Dogs 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Midtown Madness 3, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero

Hidden Content Former Xbox Live Beta Tester.

Default Re: Re: Re: Halo the Movie?

Originally posted by Bravo_2

he needs to switch Games and Movies , 2 points
    Wadical Dwagons! *quote from random game nerd in an arcade when I was a kid in the 80's*

the only way they'll be able to make it is if they use computer animation.. if not it'll cost like 500000 billion dollers

I SEE IT!! WINNAR

How the hell are they gonna make a movie/TV show out of the Sims?

A TV show would suck, and a movie probably would too. Think about the story for Halo: You are a SPARTAN who wakes up in turmoil and is sent to a strange Ring world. You fight the aliens and in the end you get off the ring world within seconds, the movie ends with the planet exploding and you getting out just in time.

Might cliche'd wouldn't you say?
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

Originally posted by xboxman_1
    How the hell are they gonna make a movie/TV show out of the Sims?
    I believe it's called "The Real World".
    Hidden Content
    Props for the sweet sig to xbocks.

Wondering Around

a movie sucking is a personal opinion. Yes, a majority of people might not like the movie, but if one person likes it, you cant say it "sucked". You can say, the opinion of the majority was that the movie sucked. Just like alot of people thought the Resident Evil movie was bad, i thought it was awesome and have watched it in the theater and other sources several times.

Agreed Shannon, but I think its pretty much agreed throughout the land that the following movies SUCKED:

Mario.. :dont remember the full name because I had a seizure the first time I watched it

Tomb Raider: also cannot remember the full name

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (was actually ok)

what other games have been made into movies? I liked Resident Evil so I didn't consider it.

Agreed Shannon, but I think its pretty much agreed throughout the land that the following movies SUCKED:

Mario.. :dont remember the full name because I had a seizure the first time I watched it

what other games have been made into movies? I liked Resident Evil so I didn't consider it.
    Mortal Kombat..the first movie was alright, but they were smoking something when they slapped Annihilation together.

AAhhhh yes, how could I forget the crappy MK: Annihilation. Crappiest movie ever?? Of course not, as long as Mario is around that is.

Wondering Around

never watched mario... tomb raider was good in my opinion, final fantasy was good too.

the Mario movie was a joke, Tomb Raider wasn't bad, Final Fantasy was boooring, the only movie based on a game that i thought was actually quite good was the first MK movie (Annihilation was horrible)

Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
    never watched mario... tomb raider was good in my opinion, final fantasy was good too.
    I thought TR had potential when I saw the commericals, however it seemed like the main focus of the movie- the time device thing, took around 15 minutes to deal with and resolve. The other stuff in the movie that took up the majority of the time seemed extraneous and unimportant IMO.

Renegade of funk

I agree with the statement mentioned above that there's too much in Halo to be crammed into a 1.5 hour long flick. How much of the story line will be cut, just to make time? Every battle in every location means something in the story, and it seems like there would be too much to cover in the period of a movie. I doubt they'll give Halo a 3 hour treatment. And like mentioned above, they'll probably throw some stupid story curves in there to give it more of a human drama, so that it'll appeal to a much larger audience. Coratana longs to be human....... How can she cope with her love for Master Chief? It'll happen. I promise.

Strangely, this isn't the first time I've heard this. Awhile back I read an article on an online news source that Universal was considering the movie and tried to get the director, (I forgot his name.. Joel something) the guy who made "The Rock", and "Black Hawk Down." Maybe it'll happen, but I shudder at the travesty that could occur. I still wretch when I see Street Fighter: The Movie on TV. Raul Julia, what where you thinking?

Wondering Around

in my opinion "most" movies based on games are pretty decent.. but when they start basing games on movies, thats where they should just pack up and go home. I haven't played a game based on a movie yet that i've thought was worth the effort to put the dvd in the xbox dvd-rom tray.

If they do make a halo movie, you know theres going to be some love story thrown in there. Ninja claps in happiness

But the best way to do halo, would be a HBO mini series, Go through thr fall of reach etc....
    (spartan project blah blah blah)

The general public doesnt deserve to know about Halo. And hollywood is just gonna F it up.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Thread Information