Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tao Feng is sounding very cool, but is getting very little respect.

Default Tao Feng is sounding very cool, but is getting very little respect.

K, I'm sure you've all heard of Tao Feng. Anyone here interested in it?

Well, I was watching electric playground last week, and they were interviewing the guy who came up with the idea. Here's what he basically had to say.

- broken arms and legs from blocking! (original idea)
    - You can actually see the cuts and wounds permanently!! (original idea).
    - lots of blood
    - character models are made with twice as many polygons as Mortal Kombat (Whoa!)... I think he said 13-16 thousand polygons
    - did I mention the creator of this game is also the creator of the MK series?
    - itneraction with environment (ie. flip off wall, 360 around pole.)

the combo system is undoubtedly the most important part of a fighting game, and he said something about it being really unique, but I can't remember.

Now do those ideas above sound cool or what? I had no intention of buying the game until I heard all these wicked things.

I just gotta figure out when this suckers coming out.

EDIT: Wow... it comes out this month. Who would have thought?
    Last edited by wweomaniac; 03-10-2003 at 08:25 PM.

xbAWOL

i think ebgames has it scheduled for march 18th. it sounds really cool. since im getting capcom vs snk 2 this weekend, im probably not gonna pick it up, since fighters arent my favorite genre. my friend asked me if he should mortal kombat, so i told him about this game, and now he is gonna get this game on his birthday, the 18th. so im looking forward to playing, and if i like it a lot, ill pick it up too!

Originally posted by MixMasta
    i think ebgames has it scheduled for march 18th. it sounds really cool. since im getting capcom vs snk 2 this weekend, im probably not gonna pick it up, since fighters arent my favorite genre. my friend asked me if he should mortal kombat, so i told him about this game, and now he is gonna get this game on his birthday, the 18th. so im looking forward to playing, and if i like it a lot, ill pick it up too!
    giddy up. I wish this game were live. I myself am not a big fan of fighters. i didn't like DOA, and I usually get tired of fighters in like 20 minutes. But this one seems promising.

You can see the damage on your opponent!!!!!

I just hope this game doesnt end up sucking like 85% of Microsofts other first party games.

Yeah, it does sound pretty cool. It might be a fighting game I actually enjoy. The last one was Bio Freaks on N64. As for the ideas, they aren't original but they are very logical and should have been implemented on every single fighting game that has comeout on PS2 and/or Xbox.

-edit-
    Polygons don't mean everything. DO have any idea how many poly's were used in the Morrowind characters?
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I pretty damn sure that this is XBox Live compatible, therefore, it should make it even greater for those who are juiced up with XBL. I'll definately take a hard look at it and may be willing to take another for the D.D.C.

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    -edit-
    Polygons don't mean everything. DO have any idea how many poly's were used in the Morrowind characters?
    Do you know how much I h ate Morrowind ? its true though, I hate morrowind.

But I agree that polygons wouldnt matter that much in games. Wait let me rephrase that. Polygons don't matter in games other than racing and fighting.

In racing and fighting, you don't really have much to look at. So fighting games is about eye candy and good combo system or else its trash.

Yeah, I know that they can sometimes mean good graphics. I was pointing out that having lots of polygons means a game is going to look good. Morrowind has tons of polygons in each character, yet they look pretty darn bad. I personally think that the graphical effects used will determine whether a game looks good or not.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I've been waiting for this game to come out for some time now. I'll definetly pick this one up, but I have a feeling it might be a little too overhyped for its own good. MK: DA was good, but I hope this is better since it is Xbox exclusive.
    Those who say the game sucks, simply suck at the game.

Xba's Official Hierarch TheCovenant's Avatar

Originally posted by 0101010
    I've been waiting for this game to come out for some time now. I'll definetly pick this one up, but I have a feeling it might be a little too overhyped for its own good. MK: DA was good, but I hope this is better since it is Xbox exclusive.

i was dissappointed with the pace in deadly alliance, and am starting to think that tao feng follows this pace.

I'll rent it.
    Don't RTFM me! I already RTFMed, okay!

Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
    Yeah, I know that they can sometimes mean good graphics. I was pointing out that having lots of polygons means a game is going to look good. Morrowind has tons of polygons in each character, yet they look pretty darn bad. I personally think that the graphical effects used will determine whether a game looks good or not.
    the character models in morrowind didn't use a lot ofpolygons. Prove me wrong

About Morrowind:
    haracter models are also highly detailed, and contain as many as 5,000 polygons, compared to the 2,000 polygons normally found in a first person shooter.
    [quote]

About Tao Feng:
    This is evident in what we're doing with our characters in terms of the texture detail, bump mapping, and surface attributes along with the highly detailed models which are composed of between 10-15,000 polygons.

xbAWOL

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
    I pretty damn sure that this is XBox Live compatible, therefore, it should make it even greater for those who are juiced up with XBL. I'll definately take a hard look at it and may be willing to take another for the D.D.C.
    i wish you were right, but it looks likeim gonna have to burst your bubble. they say nothing about xbl support here:

http://www.xbox.com/taofeng/

A good example of this, as we all know, is that the new model of the MC from Halo 2 actually uses less polys than the one in Halo.

Originally posted by xboxman_1
    A good example of this, as we all know, is that the new model of the MC from Halo 2 actually uses less polys than the one in Halo.
    yes, it does use less polygons, but has more bumpmapping. But MC to begin with had about 7, 000 polygons... so it was already pretty damn good.

Mermiac was wrong b/c he said that Morrowind had a lot of polygons, but crappy character models. But it actually didn't have that many polygons, and that owuld explain the crappy character models.

The Sam fisher character mdoel is an example of putting polygons to good use. Or DOOM III pictures.

5,000 polygons for a single character is actually quite alot. Tao Feng apparently has alot more though.

I played Tao feng, its really nothing special. It was kind of weak.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by JJaX
    I played Tao feng, its really nothing special. It was kind of weak.
    You've played Tao Feng when it hasn't come out yet? hmm...

I haven't played teo feng yet...C'mon mostly everybody like fighting games..so if it's crap we should know it soon enough...I don't care that much for blood and breaking bones...all i want is a smooth as hell fighting engine.....with easy to pull off counters...cool and flashy moves.. if blood and bone breaking is your number one gimmick...then i'm going to keep walking...
    Meanwhile back at the Ranch,Bificus Beefy AKA Evil_Dr_Beefy and his henchmen The Big Dipper Beast plot the destruction of their arch nemesis Spaceboy

Originally posted by wweomaniac
    You've played Tao Feng when it hasn't come out yet? hmm...
    You think im lying? I have no reason to lie.

I played a demo of it at a gamestop in quakerbridge mall.

I was the dude in the rubber suit. When you beat your opponent, it kicks into a super slow mo replay. And i also remember he had this flip attack where he kicked at you like M.bison.

Im telling, the game isnt that great. But that again i only played a few rounds and didnt get to explorer it to see if it was a deep figher like soul calibur.

R.I.P.DZ
    Hidden Content

Lost but not forgotten - RIP DZNUTZ DZNUTZ's Avatar

jjax..u sho your not thinking of kakuto chojin?
    cuz thats what it sounds like when u said guy in rubber suit.

and if your speaking about that game...yes...it sux

Thread Information