Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Square Join With X Box Only??

New Square Xbox Development? 23-10-00 17:06

Rumours from the land of the rising sun indicate it's not just FFXI that's being developed for Xbox.
    Microsoft, the guys behind the Xbox, have maintained a good relationship with Square since day one of the development of the system. They were even going to buy the company at one point, guaranteeing exclusivity with Square's future titles. Square, in turn, have been working on some great new titles from Xbox, our sources in Japan say. So what does this mean for Square's contribution to Xbox development?
    Well, after rumours surfacing last week about them developing FFXI for the system, we contacted our Japanese reporters only to find out that this is almost definitely going to happen. Square are apparently waiting to get FFX out of the way along with setting up the Play Online service before moving over to Xbox development due to a binding contract with Sony. Not only this, but rumours also indicate that Square are also contemplating dumping Sony in favour of Microsoft exclusively, providing that the Xbox shows enough potential to land a big market share. And with Sega supposedly developing for the system as well, we think it's pretty safe to say that the potential is there.
    In the US, Square games are all published by EA, another Xbox supporter if only in word at the moment. So does this mean EA will be publishing games for Xbox? Speculation says yes, and evidence shows that EA will be joining the Xbox bandwagon, although they would probably develop for both PS2 and Xbox simultaneously if anything. Sega, Square and EA all publishing games on Xbox? Now that'd be a Sony beater.
    http://www.dailyradar.co.uk/publishe...news_1150.html

******************************************************************************************
    If this turns out to be true, it's HUGE and GREAT NEWS for the X box!!

KevinM

Wink

Thanks for the heads up Gameslave... props goes to ya!

Talking

Well if this happens and I think it will. PS2 fans would go crazy. You saw how they reacted about Oddworld, can you imagine what they would do if Square was to dump Sony. It is to scare for me to think about it. AHHHHHHHHH run for the hills!!!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited October 24, 2000).]

Glad you liked it Kevin. If this turns out to be true it would be a major coup for the X Box...and Sony fans would be cryin in their beer!

***can you imagine what they would do if Square was to dump Sony. It is to scare for me to think about it.***

LOL, it would create a firestorm of controversy all over the net! If EA and Square jump ship and go to the X Box ONLY I believe the results would be fatal to the ps2!

Cool

I bet you money that Microsoft is going to announce that EA and Square have hopped aboard the Xbox to put out PS2's fire on the 26th. Old Billy Gates is going straight for the throat !

Exclamation

From interview with Seamus Blackley:

"I saw your list of developers and it was impressive, but I didn't see Electronic Arts or Squaresoft on your list. Why is that?

S: You didn't look closely enough. Try resting your eyes for a few weeks, then look again. "

What more evidence do we need?

XboxAddict oldie

Hmmm... I feel as if I have to say something here. As you might already know I'm both a PS2 and Xbox fan. What I can't understand is why most people thinks that's impossible? If you like PS2, then you can't like Xbox - and if you like Xbox, then you can't like PS2. Well I do.

So that's why I don't care if Square is going to develop for Xbox. Well, in fact I think it would be nice, because that would mean more great games for gamers as a whole. That can't be a bad thing, can it? At least I don't think it is (and Square would get more money for future games).

The reason why I'm getting both PS2 and Xbox is that many games will be PS2 only, and many games will be Xbox only. I want to be able to play all the good games... That's my reason.

Talking

Personally Samwise I think it is great that you are PS2 & Xbox fan. There is nothing wrong with that, but like I said in an earlier reply "I can only play one console at a time." So I'm waiting for the Xbox.

I like your thinking about the Square issue,you truly are a hardcore gamer. But please tell me if you know yet what games have been announced to be only PS2. I haven't been keeping up on the news that much on the PS2. I do know that there are a couple of games that were surpposed to be only PS2, but later went to the Xbox. (EX. Metal Gear & Crash Bandicoot) Really, that is another reason why I won't be picking up the PS2. Why have 2 console with the same game on them?
    Until I see a big difference in game titles between the two machines, there will not be a PS2 in my house, only a Xbox.
    By the way Samwise, it's good see back. Thought you were gone.

XboxAddict oldie

Smile

First I would like to say that I was never gone. In fact I monitor this board several times a day.

As far as the PS2 games go, it's always a matter of personal preference. I've always like the Sony style games. Here is a list of PS2-only games - at least at this time (and I'm just listing those I can remember from the top of my head, so I might be wrong or missing some):

Gran Turismo 3
    TimeSplitters
    ZOE
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    Ridge Racer 5
    Wipeout: Fusion
    Syphon Filter 3
    Twisted Metal: Black
    Dropship
    The Getaway
    Dark Cloud
    Final Fantasy X (?)
    EverQuest (?)
    The Bouncer
    Klonoa 2

I'm sure there others and a lot to come. These were the only ones I could remember right now.

Plus the fact that I can't wait a whole year! I definatly need something to keep me busy until the Xbox!

Wow! I didn't know that there were that many games coming out for the PS2. Thanks for the information Samwise. Well hope you enjoy playing your PS2 for now. Next year will be here before you know it.

Smile

Hey Samwise if you want a PS2 go for it bro. I had a Playstation and it was great. I'm just not excited about the PS2 or the games myself. Also I don't like all the hype Sony has put out plus the so-called shortage is IMHO an old trick to drive up demand that Nintendo was guilty of in the past according to some. But hey I believe you are a hardcore gamer and I bet you will be with me and all the other X Box fanatics waiting in line on launch day for a mighty X Box! heh, I can't wait!

XboxAddict oldie

Cool

I'll be the first in line for the Xbox, no doubt about it!

Those PS2 games I listed aren't all launch games. It was just some games coming now/in the near future that I was pretty sure would be exclusive. There are many more PS2 games coming out.

In fact 27 games are available as of today. Another 50 will arrive shortly (before christmas or in Q1 2001), so I don't think I'll have any problems staying busy while waiting for Xbox!

BTW, I hope Max Payne will be a launch title for Xbox because it looks incredible (and that's on already available PC hardware!). Wow.

<font color=green> Square will not be an exclusive developer for Xbox. On the contrary, most believe they are to become multi-platform in the near future. Most analysts, believe that multi-platfrom is the way theyare headed.

On E/A... I am not under any NDA on this soooooo.. E/A has already begun work on an Xbox title.. it's the crappy knockout kings.. Madden and the rest are sure to follow when they make their "Official Announcement"</font>

<font color=lime><SPAN style="position:relative;
    width:85; height:100; filter:glow(Color=blue,strenght=#1)">Make mine, an Xbox</SPAN></font>

------------------
    I never use signatures

Smile

if u really look up the ps2 games comming to the ps2 there is not many good ones all the good games are comming to the ps2 in like 8 months or 1 year after ps2 launches so by then xbox will have most of those games the good games =).

So FAr Square is sticking with Sony and NOT going to any other console.

------------------
    PS2 is the best
    Sega is 2nd
    what are the other 2?

<font color=green> You know, I never really cared for Square's Products ( for the most part anyway) but, don't hold your breath on that one Mr. Sony Rules.</font>

------------------
    I never use signatures

Question

How come you don't care to much for Square's products Wyst? You are a rare breed!

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited November 03, 2000).]

Smile

<font color=green> I said "mostly" I dislike the whole FF series... I never thought it to be the be all end all RPG.. and with newer ones coming out from other developers.. I think Square may have their work cut out for them.

Square to me is like the HONDA of Developers.. Honda's are good cars to be sure, but not worth what you pay for them.

You scratch an accord and you shall find a lot of civic underneath. ( I am not being literal)
    </font>

------------------
    I never use signatures

[This message has been edited by wyst (edited November 03, 2000).]

Talking

LOL! Great metaphor! I agree with you, with all the other game developers out there pumping out RPG's. It sure to keep Square on their toes.

Thread Information