Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning CDs & DVDs for use in the XBox

Default Burning CDs & DVDs for use in the XBox

General noob questions. Bear with me, please.
    I want to burn video DVDs for use in my XBox, which I use as my primary DVD player right now. Is there a format that has proven to work consistently? I need to know before I go buy a burner.

In the meantime, while I patiently wait for burner prices to drop, can I burn my home movies to CD-R in SVCD format using Pinnacle Studio or something like that and use the XBox to view them?

Hope I'm not posting a repeat thread. I tried a quick search to see if anyone else had covered this, but I didn't see much info out there for this subject.

Thanks for any info y'all have.

Doc

Default Re: Burning CDs & DVDs for use in the XBox

Originally posted by Dr. Remulac
    General noob questions. Bear with me, please.
    I want to burn video DVDs for use in my XBox, which I use as my primary DVD player right now. Is there a format that has proven to work consistently? I need to know before I go buy a burner.

In the meantime, while I patiently wait for burner prices to drop, can I burn my home movies to CD-R in SVCD format using Pinnacle Studio or something like that and use the XBox to view them?

Hope I'm not posting a repeat thread. I tried a quick search to see if anyone else had covered this, but I didn't see much info out there for this subject.

Thanks for any info y'all have.

Doc
    the only way to playback svcd is if you had a moded xbox..without a moded xbox will not play svcds or vcds...only playback you'll get is from retail dvds i believe...dont think it'll play dvdr's either....someone correct me if im wrong..not sure about the dvdr playback..think ya need a mod for that too

Official Aussie of XBA™ Rochey69r's Avatar

Exclamation

my unmodded xbox reads apple dvd-r's no probs.

p.s. movies only

must have the dvd kit plugged in

I use DVD +R with no problems.

Default Burning CDs & DVDs for use in the XBox

Good info. Thanks, guys.

Zion, what prog do you use to burn DVD +R?

Use CDR-W's they wprk better for me on my xbox by using the TDK brand.

Use CDR-W's they work better for me on my xbox by using the TDK brand.

Default Re: Burning CDs & DVDs for use in the XBox

Originally posted by Dr. Remulac
    Good info. Thanks, guys.

Zion, what prog do you use to burn DVD +R?
    I use Sonic MyDVD and Ulead DVD Workshop.

Official Aussie of XBA™ Rochey69r's Avatar

Thumbs up

i use iDVD.

great program for making dvd's

I needs me a dvd burner. You think DVD +R would be ok?

Gamerscore Whore

Just to let ya guys know, certain brands of writeable cd's tend to work better than others. I think TDK was one of the better brands. You may have problems with inexpesive brands of CDRW's.

?
    So are you saying there is a way to get the xbox to read movies of cd-rw's, without modding your xbox??

Surely if you added some software that tricks the xbox into thinking it's a movie, then it may work?? (Though i doubt anyone has made any)

I use Nero to write SVCDs and VCDs, and i dont think you should use your xbox as your main DVD player to play those formats. Just buy an Apex DVD player, because they play SVCDs VCDs and Mp3s. And theyre only 50 to 100 dollars at wal mart w007.

And another question, i dunno if someone already said this, but what CDs work for copying music to the Xbox HD?

yea MS should like release a maybe Xbox-Windows Media Player that would be liek the PC one so that we can watch stuff on an unmodded console, if it can be done on a modded one, than for sure MS can figure a way to do it on a retail box

this is indeed a problem, all my cds are burned

so noone knows of a certain brand of CD that is recognized by the box?

I can't use any of my burned CDs on my xbox. Burned CDs for music won't even be read by mine.
    Hidden Content
    "Happiness is having a scratch for every itch."-Ogden Nash

Angry ENOUGH!

Wow. I've spent more time researching this than some of my more important UNIX work.

I learned that some retail XBoxes have different DVD drives (Thompson vs. Philips) and that could affect your options.

I learned that media counts, too. Shiny, dull, TDK, RiData, Imation, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

I've learned that people will go to great lengths to hack their XBox into doing great things, but the fact that none of them says "Burner "XXXXXXX" with Software settings "XXXXXXX" will burn perfect movies to "XXXXXXX" media that will play in your XBox" tells me that it is a far greater thing than is worth pursuing.

You name it, someone has claimed to have made it work. But nobody ever really gives the specifics on their setups or their software settings. They mostly just say "I've had no problem". Or, my favorite answers in the forums were people who simply put "CD-RW Works" and nothing else. Oh. Um. Thanks.

I tried my own tests using an Imation CD-RW and Pinnacle Studio and an HP 9500i burner, but after seeing all the possible testing scenarios it boils down to one thing: I have neither the time nor the inclination to go through it all and nobody can really give a cut & dry answer for my specific hardware and software.

In the end, it really seems a lot cheaper to go buy a DVD player from Wal~Mart for $70 or less that plays a certain format CD-R/RW+R/RW/BLAH/BLAH/BLAH and just let Pinnacle Studio handle the formatting. I'll just use the XBox for its intended purpose until Microsoft decides to help us out.

Thanks to y'all for your useful suggestions.

Doc

APEX DVD PLAYERS PLAY SVCD's and therye only 50 DOLLARS! lol sorry im an Apex fanboy, hehehe. But i wanted to use my burned CDs to copy to my xbox, that sux. I got my xbox used and when i went to look in music, there were a few old tupac songs, some DMX, and some p.Diddy and Biggie, lol what a find!

I used a Memorex CDRW (700MB 80 minute 4X) and Nero 5.0
    I bought my Xbox at launch but, I had a new dvd installed (Phillips I think) but anywho...

OXM (June issue) has a first look at...

The Xbox Music Mixer

The first Xbox game that actually upgrades your Xbox.

XBOX MUSIC MIXER $39.00

CD with 12 Karaoke songs, downloadable upgrades to the music manager, 1 consummer grade Karaoke mike. One 1/4" to Xbox controller port connector.

What it does...

You can do your karaoke thing with any of the 12 included songs.
    When connected to XBL it gives you access to a database of CD's
    so anytime you pop a CD into your box, it'll display the artist,title and, length of the song.
    You can alter any MP3, CD or WMA with flange, distortion & chorus effects. (Every song you save to your HD, will automatically be titled - No need to type them in yourself)

Xbox MM will allow you to connect your Xbox to your PC so you can easily transfer your MP3's & WMA's.
    Also, you'll be able to download new visualizations to your xbox

{Source:June 2003 Official Xbox Magazine}

Thread Information