Thread: DVD quality

Default DVD quality

Does the picture and/or sound quality of DVD playback on the Xbox better or worse than a regular DVD player? Anyone knows?

well, i haven't seen any other DVDs on any other DVD machines... but i believe it's high quality video and sound.

I would *think* that it would be slightly poorer quality, afterall, the Xbox is a video game console befoire it is a DVD player. If you want top notch dvd quality, and top notch gaming, buy an xbox AND a dvd player.

I have an answer for that
    i have actually read alot of reviews of it
    cant remember the sites sorry you just have to take my rowd for it...

It qualifies as a medium player...
    its a good player but absolutely not high end
    DenniZ
    http://www.pcvsconsole.com/images/hank/burnut.jpg

If it had progressive scan output for DVD which was originally intended then it would be up there with your other $250-300 prog scan players but as is it probably is just like any other $100-$200 non-prog scan player. Not great but you could do worse.

Even though I won't and wouldn't ever be using this as a dvd player I'm curious if it suffers from the chroma bug and how it handles bad flags. Maybe it will be in a dvd player shootout by some videophiles soon.

Not Quite Merridian, Idaho - And YES the potatos are fine lol... no I'm not a hick, I'm a Californian who had to move here... LOL

u know what??? i have used my xbox to play the tomb raider movie... and i have used my downstairs set up to play it (55'' 16:9 hdtv w/prog. scan dvd plaver) and i really havent noticed a difference. maybe i am just dumb but i havent seen progresive scan be all that great yet. what do u think?
    IusedtobeschizophrenicbutIwenttothedoctor...We'reOKnow.
    HeydontsayImcrazy!!!9outofthe10voicesinmyheadtellmeimsane...
    Bytheway,I'mdylsexic...butIfindthathiralious...soitsOK.

It has a great DVD player. I havent seen much diff between the box and progressive scan. I will tell you this its dvd player is better than mine or my friends.
    Taliesin of "Omega Squad"

Games owned; GR, GRIT, Outlaw Volleyball, 2K3, Fever 2002, Matrix, Commandos, Halo, Splinter Cell, Brute Force, Fuzion Frezy, PGR, Tiger Woods 2003, Tetris Worlds, Crimson Skies

Waiting for; Links 2004, Rainbow 6, Counter Strike, Ninja Gaiden,

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I know that the XBox DVD player is a 16-bit DVD player...so, that's not bad, especially considering it is a gaming console. That is about the quality of an average JVC DVD player. Not bad at all.

Originally posted by Maximus
    I know that the XBox DVD player is a 16-bit DVD player...so, that's not bad, especially considering it is a gaming console. That is about the quality of an average JVC DVD player. Not bad at all.
    Yo maximus, by good old Super Hero Ninja side-kick, tell me..... do you own a JVC DVD Player?

If soooo, .................. lololooll.olollololol!!!!!!!

Jason1010

What progressive scan player do you have? Just because a player is progressive doesn't mean it is good. There are some that a pure utter crap out there. *cough* pioneer 343 444 *cough*.

Probably the best prog scan player for the money is the panasonic 56bk. You can get it for $200-$250.

But if you can't see the difference then by all means stick with the xbox. no point in paying for something you can't see.

Not Quite Merridian, Idaho - And YES the potatos are fine lol... no I'm not a hick, I'm a Californian who had to move here... LOL

i have one by samsung... it cost like 500 bucks so i dont think its crap. i just need to see progressive scan and non progresive scan dvd right next to each other to c the dif. i guess...

Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

Yo maximus, by good old Super Hero Ninja side-kick, tell me..... do you own a JVC DVD Player?

If soooo, .................. lololooll.olollololol!!!!!!!
    lol...No, I don't own a JVC DVD player...but, it is about the middle of the ground...which is what the XBox's DVD player is. I thought that this might help give people a perspective of the quality of the XBox DVD player...it's not bad at all

BTW -- "High end" DVD players usually start at $1000 and go up from there. I wouldn't expect the XBOX to compete in that market.

hey maximus, on that pic of yours... DANGEROUS GASSES no gases...

Jason1010,

Yeah it helps to see it side by side and also helps to know what exactly to look for.

Hugh_Jass,

Actually a $250 Panasonic could easily compete with those so called "high end" dvd players costing 5 times as much. Even though they cost more they still (for the majority) have the same errors and suffer from Chroma bug, bad flags or other dvd anomilies. Heck my $50 pc dvd player will give me a picture that would rival any $1000+ standalone dvd player.

Expensive doesn't always mean better. Just look at Bose. My god those things should cost about $150-$200 top for how they perform. Not $1500. You know the old saying "If you want no highs, no lows, get Bose."

But back to the xbox I think it would do for most people. It probably would compete with any of the non-prog players on the market today. Could probably beat out the progresive Pioneer 343 as well. Now that is/was an expensive piece of crap.

Originally posted by Lynxfx

Actually a $250 Panasonic could easily compete with those so called "high end" dvd players costing 5 times as much. Even though they cost more they still (for the majority) have the same errors and suffer from Chroma bug, bad flags or other dvd anomilies. Heck my $50 pc dvd player will give me a picture that would rival any $1000+ standalone dvd player.
    There is always a point of diminishing returns for any type of electrical gear. Audio and videophiles who know what to look for wouldn't be satisfied with the standard fare.

I do agree that the mid-range DVD players are a great buy for just about everyone else and unless you have a high-end television and audio system you probably won't get the benefit of a high-end DVD player.

Right-i-o

It sounds like you guys do not understand progressive scan. To utilize this feature, you must be using a HDTV, or else the wonder progrssive scan output has to be de-interlaced to output on your regular tv. On a nonHDTV, a progressive scan DVD player may actually have a worse output than a regular DVD player in the form of stuttering and such (this is because the progressive scan output can only draw 24 frames for the required 30fps).

If you want to know more, check this out.

Just a heads up.

I think we all were assuming that the display device was 480p compatible or EDTV (enhanced definition tv since DVD doesn't display in a HDTV format, ie 1080i or 720p.) You don't need an HDTV set to display a 480p image. You just need a set that is 480p compatible and this usually means any tv or projector with component inputs.

As for progressive dvd players looking worse on regular tvs, that is pretty much false. Almost all dvd content is already interlaced. The progressive player deinterlaces it then sends it out. If you do not have a tv capable of 480p image then the player does nothing and sends out the interlaced image (480i). You still get the not so great 480i image but it would look just the same as any other non-progressive player. Not worse. As for the 24 frames versus 30 that is why there is a process called 3:2 pulldown. Again you won't get a worse image because you are using a progressive scan dvd player with a non 480p compatible tv.

Eitherway the xbox and ps2 are only non-progressive so no one had to worry.

I actually watched Gladiator on my XBox...It worked great! Man, that movie rocks! I have never owned a DVD player because I knew I would get one from my XBox...it works great!

Thread Information