Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington Bans Sale of Violent Video Games

Angry Washington Bans Sale of Violent Video Games

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – The state of Washington has become the first in the nation to regulate the sale of video games. Gov. Gary Locke on Monday signed into law a bill banning the sale of certain ’violent’ games to anyone under 17.

Specifically, the law forbids selling minors any video or computer game depicting violence against law enforcement officials. Among the titles affected are industry best sellers "Grand Theft Auto 3" and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City", both published by Take Two Interactive (TTWO: Research, Estimates). Presumably, Atari’s (ATAR: Research, Estimates) $30 million "Enter the Matrix", which hit store shelves last Thursday, would also be off limits to its core audience. That title earned only a "Teen" rating, since it is not graphically violent, though police officers are in-game enemies.

Retail employees who sell these games to minors are subject to fines of up to $500.

The Interactive Digital Software Association (the gaming industry trade group) denounced the bill, calling it unconstitutional and announced plans to a lawsuit, which it hopes will prevent the law from being enforced.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

HMMMMMMMMODIHSIUHDIUAH! Go IDSA you have to stop this bill! It doesn't effect Canada but banning the sale of a GAME is 100% wrong.

I used to post here a lot.

Default Re: Washington Bans Sale of Violent Video Games

Originally posted by wwfraven2k3
    Go IDSA you have to stop this bill! It doesn't effect Canada but banning the sale of a GAME is 100% wrong.
    Dude, this has been a law, they are just finally cracking down on these things. Change the name of your title for this thread as they aren't banning violent games completely, just for minors, which they should.

Specifically, the law forbids selling minors any video or computer game depicting violence against law enforcement officials.
    It's for minors....there is a reason there are ratings on the games, so that children do not get their hands on games that are way ahead of their maturity level. So you need ID to buy a game now...good to hear, I say.

Bunch of sissies
    Hidden Content target="_blank">Hidden Content

Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, most violent games get a rating of at least 15, sometimes 18 over here. But very few stores follow the law.
    It's only if say a 10 year old tries to buy an 18 year old game, that they will stop it.

that sucks, it a good thing i don't live in washington, cause i'm only 16 and i'd have to make my parents buy my games for me

Release The First Skill Shadow20002's Avatar

If you're under age, just give your money to a friend (true one) then tell him to buy for you.
    Back into the world of gaming.

Formerly Jerred B Dyslexic Chaos's Avatar

i wish there was a way to test peoples maturity level. Regulating things like sellling games based on age is wrong IMO. You may have a really mature 14 year old who can handle GTA or something, but a really immature 22 year old who can't, takes it to seriously and goes on a killing spree. I don't know, i'm 17 in July, so a law won't be passed in time for it to really effect me.

I don't see why they need to restrict the sale to minors. I mean you have the suggested age on the package, anyway. Albeit that nobody ever looks at them. I don't really see a need to restrict the sale of video games. First, the parent is going to buy the game for anyone younger than say 13, because he's not gonig to have money. Even still, if a 12 year old, or any minor does have the money it should be the parents job to take responsibility for what the kid is playing and whether it's appropraite for their child or not. Personally I don't believe anyone could ever use a video game to kill someone, anyway. If they do it's because they have a lot more problems going on in their life and the press got word that they played GTA once for an hour at their uncle's house a month before hand.

Anyway, point is, I see no need.

Hidden Content This is some obligatory bold text

Old News..lol

when i bought RTCW, my dad was outside, and the guy had to go ask if i could buy it..he said it was stupid how they have to do that though, lol

Same as rated R movies now. Anyways this is all just relapse from people blaming parents for their kids mistakes. Now the government is just forcing parents to actually look at what their kids are playing and watching.

Wondering Around

this still wont stop minors from getting games. If anything they will make every effort to get their hands on the game just to spite the law. I know I would. Parents should be responsible for what their kids watch and play. IF they cant handle it, they should have thought twice about doing the dirty. =)

Stupid, stupid laws. If these wacko's had their way we'd be 17/18 before we see violence of any kind. Then, a year later, we can join the military and be trained to kill people for real. It's a good idea in theory, but when will it stop?? Oh well, i'm over 18 now so who cares??

Frostberg

Bullsh*t

banning a game just because you go up against "law menforcement officials" is stupid. What happens if i went up against another country? what about terrorists? then should we ban Americas Army because you go up against other humans or should we just be THINKERS and realize it is a game which is not real and does not effect what you do in real life. If I am going to think I can take on the FBI just because I did it in GTA then I deserve to die...

Frosty....we missed ya gro

Why bother. The kids, like me, who get teen rated games have their parents buy them then they pay their parents for the game. It is only a time waster for some people.
    Hidden Content
    "Happiness is having a scratch for every itch."-Ogden Nash

Wondering Around

its not like you actually have to buy the game anymore anyways. banning the "violent" games from beeing sold to minors will just increase piracy. If you cant get it legally, might as well download it for free and still play it.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

I live in the State of Washington, and I can say that Governer Locke is the biggest laughing stock of a Governer this State has ever had. Seriously...he completely goes against all voter approved initiatives (like giving Teachers a "Cost of Living" pay raise - not a pay raise, but a "Cost of Living" pay raise) and eventhough the voters approved it, he still won't do it....instead, he gave Legistlators a pay raise. How convenient

We have the second highest unemployment rate in the nation...The Boeing company Corporate offices left Washington State after decades of being here because we have the second highest tax rate in the nation. (Gee, second highest tax and second highest unemployment...I wonder if they relate!?)

I can go on and on and on and on about Governer Locke. He's a joke. His mentality is to appear that he made a difference for the State of Washington...and figures that he could win anything that is "violent against law enforcement". I mean, who wouldn't want to ban something that supports violence in law enforcement? lol...he's an idiot. That's his mentality...of course, in the end, it's just a video game. They aren't banning it, he just wants to show that he's "tough" by throwing out a $500 fine to any retail employee that sells a copy of a game that has violence against law enforcement.

What a puzz

im actually for it..........some kids are too dumb these days ::flame suit on::

I live in Washington state also, but luckily I am 17 so I can buy any game I want to. Gov. Gary Locke is a piece of **** and I don't see how he keeps getting elected. Voters didnt want a gas tax and we voted it down but he decides that we still need it so he overruled that. Voters voted down the building of a new stadium for the mariners multiple times but we are still paying for that. I cant wait until I can vote so I can vote against him.

Vorticity

Default Re: Re: Washington Bans Sale of Violent Video Games

Originally posted by casper

Dude, this has been a law, they are just finally cracking down on these things. Change the name of your title for this thread as they aren't banning violent games completely, just for minors, which they should.
    Correct.
    Hidden Content

"A mathematician may say anything he pleases, but a physicist must be at least partially sane."
    -J Willard Gibbs

Thread Information