Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operation Desert Storm

This is sorta a longshot, but weren't there other Spec Ops teams involved in Desert Storm? Like the French and the Germans?

Even if they're not in the single player missions, it'd be cool to have like 1 or 2 models/skins devoted to French/German/whoever else fought.

Hi Terminator,
    I`ll have to check my facts but I think the only S Forces involved were the SAS and then DELTA force (you can play as either )
    gunclub.

Question

Does anyone have any opinions as to ,if the US. & UK. do have to proceed with military action in iraq,as to whether this would negativley or positively effect sales of the game in the US?
    gunclub.

Hi gunclub,

Thanks for all the recent posts, I have been reading along happily. As for your question regarding sales and the prospect of a U.S./Iraq entanglement..... I do not feel it would adversly effect sales. The average Xbox owner is drooling for quality software, and I feel that Conflict Desert Storm will deliver bigtime. It is highly possible that a possible conflict might stir up sales... I mean many people already like combat type games... involve a nationalist/patriotic tint to a game and the market might react positively.

I really cannot wait to get my hands on this game... I have been playing Halo, and recently Wreckless.... but I long for several titles: Conflict Desert Storm, Ghost Recon, MOH, Battlefield 1942, Brute Force, Yeager, Bounty Hunter, and Codemaster's Prisoner of War. I will buy all of these games..... my yearly budget for gaming software is $600, these titles represent more than half of my planned budget.

Keep sending the info, I appreciate it, I am lacing up my boots and getting ready to take down some tango's.

PhReeK out!
    Last edited by FpS_PhReeK; 02-11-2002 at 04:51 PM.
    PhReeK out!

Thumbs up

Thanks phreeky,as you seem to be the only one with a view,so far ,do you think I should ask the question again on one of the other threads? (don`t want to bore everyone,but your opinions are very important to me,as this seems to be the only way to get a feel for the US side of things)
    Will be glad to keep you posted.
    gunclub.

I think that the only thing that could effect the sale of the game would be bad press that the game could possibly attract if war were to re-occur between the U.S. and her allies, and Iraq. That would destroy sales amongst younger gamers, who have their parents checking up on what they play, but it would drastically increase sales amongst those w/ out that restriction.

We saw this with Mortal Kombat and GTA3. As soon as the media started criticizing those games, their sales shot up drastically.

Thumbs up

Thanks for that Termy,it sounds like we should`nt have too much to worry about!
    Can anyone give me a feel for the "mood of the media" in the US re the middle east and the current progress of operation enduring freedom. (sorry if its a bit off topic,but I`m sure you can see where it relates!)
    TIA gunclub.
    Last edited by gunclub; 02-13-2002 at 02:05 AM.

Smile

PHReeky,
    I noticed you are waiting for the release of POW,did you know about the forthcoming release of THE GREAT ESCAPE by the same developer of Conflict Desert Storm?
    gunclub.

PHReeky/termy,
    The UK`s biggest selling pc mag has just done a full page article on CDS. Is it worth me posting it?
    gunclub.

Default here is an extract from PC gamer

p 46...

Conflict Desert Storm

The Gulf Ware gets its own game. Which makes it Warzone 1992 then.

We’re fed up with extolling the virtues of Warzone 2100. That game ( a superior and ahead-of-it’s-time 3D RTS) also sprang from the virile loins of Desert Storm developers Pivotal – albeit under their previous guise of Pumpkin Studios. And, as is so often the case with sci-fi games that don’t benefit from a famous franchise, it didn’t exactly set the tills alight.

With Conflict Desert Storm, Pivotal should have no such worries. This third-person squad-based shooter is debuting on Xbox and is set, crucially, during the early ‘90s conflict in the Arabian Gulf, so it’s sure to get the Yank’s patriotic juices flowing. In the light of ‘September 11th’ and the war in Afghanistan, revisionist material like Black Hawk Down and Behind Enemy Lines have performed well, and while Three Kings may have asked difficult questions about US involvement in Iraq and Kuwait, there’s no such moral dilemma to be found in Conflict: Desert Storm.

Taking H&D and Rainbow Six as inspiration, then whittling the formula down to its most basic constituent elements, this is action-packed combat that’s far removed from the genre big-guns. Don’t expect Rogue Spear-style complex load-outs or waypoints – simple hotkey commands will instantly issue orders to your three other team-mates ( all of whom you can switch to at any time).

The deserts of Iraq don’t initially conjure thoughts of varied environments, so Pivotal have ensured that Urban Combat is a big part of the game too. Infiltrating military compounds and cities rendered tougher by intelligent and constantly shifting line of sight and hearing radii for enemy AIs. Plus, the avoidance of spotlights and enemy-triggered alarm systems is also the key to success in many of the more stealth-orientated missions. That said, this isn’t Thief, there’s no more fun to be had than turning a silent night mission into an elaborate firework display, as bullets and rockets light up the night sky. The game’s console roots ensure that this is fast, exciting, accessible combat – simple useable vehicles and gun turrets add variety to the mix, and the controls ( mouse and keyboard) mean FPS fans are going to feel at home straight away.

Of course, its perfectly possible that those with a taste for the PC’s more complex high-fibre titles such as Operation Flashpoint and Ghost Recon may find little sustenance in Conflict: Desert Storm’s rationed approach to tactical planning and strategy. Then again, if the amount of mail we receive about potential PC/Xbox crossovers is anything to go by, there are a fair few of you for whom Pivotal’s game might provide the prefect balanced diet of gun-ho madness and ‘leave no man down’ heroism. Plus, of course, there’s always the irresistible opportunity to try to achieve that the Americans never managed bringing Mr Hussein to justice.

Smile

XB,
    Thanks for that,sounds good to me!!!
    gunclub.

ok I have now seen it, played it and met the SAS guy helping out and the game is superb. Everyone kept playing it in turns, the controls are a piece of cake and work very well

Ok here is what is in it

You can call Airstrikes and cruise missiles

Plenty of blood

4 player split screen being worked on

in 2 player mode you can control 2 men each so you can ambush your mate

At one point we drove a jeep tehn an iraqi helicopter came at us so out came the rocket launcher and BOOM. Bye bye Iraqi helicopter blown out of the sky

The PC version is developed for the Nvidia 4 chipset so perfect for Xbox and Nvidia are showcasing it. the video for that is exceptional

The game was fast and with alot of action

I met the SAS guy Cameron Spence who has spent 3 weeks solid with the developers and rushed off after we met back with a great big rucksack on his back. He is well into it and has seen it get better and better. He said his next task is to improve the weapon sounds to get them spot on even though I thought they were!!!!

Sandstorms are used on some levels to great effect

Bullets have proper trajectory so the sniper if along way away needs to aim a bit above to hit the head

Your team gains experience so don't let them die as a rookie comes in and he need to build up again

AI is spot on

This game is top of my list and this is a good read on the game and how the AI works so please wait for the mag pages to load in

a new preview is here

http://www.gamespot.co.uk/stories/ne...104898,00.html
    Last edited by Xboxed; 02-23-2002 at 07:24 AM.

Has the fixed first person view been added, or is it still 3rd person? Or can you toggle between the 2 views?

Mostly third person for control which works best as you have a squad of four. You ccan instruct any of them easily and just send say your sniper in seconds to a vantage point and tell him to cover you which he does

Shout go Loud and all hell breaks loose

First Person view came in for sniper and rocket launcher but Third person really worked well and I think first person would not work as well with a squad

The Game is getting more realistic all the time and some of the action was frantic with all four guys joining in launching grenades etc

At one point the sniper took out an Iraqi in a bunker with a big machine gun in it so you could then go in and use the gun to mow them all down in first person

I really can't wait for the full game

Thread Information