Poll: which E3 trailer do you like the most?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: halo 2 vs. half-life 2

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! l Maximus l's Avatar

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

But I can't wait for both. Halo2 on Xbox and Half-Life 2 on PC.
    Why not get Half Life 2 on the XBox? Especially considering the possibility of XBox Live enabability

Starving College Student

Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Why not get Half Life 2 on the XBox? Especially considering the possibility of XBox Live enabability
    1) its on pc first
    2) it can be modded (although by the time xbox gets HL2, MS may allow user created mods...)
    3)you can play with more than 8 people and still have a lag free game (*cough*wolfenstein*cough*)
    4)it will have more downloadable content available sooner (*cough*everygameonxbl*cough*)

...but of course if all those issues are taken care of by the time it comes out, ill get it on xbox
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Pretty much all the reasons Koopa listed. I have a powerful enough PC so that doesn't hinder me. I guess I'll take Half-Life 2 for PC then get Doom III on Xbox just because they are really setting the mood with DD 5.1 sound and I know that is going to be a fun and intense game to play in the living room.
    Hidden Content quality="high"pluginspage="Hidden Content type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="150"height="125">
    ---Hidden Content ---

No question Half Life 2 is going to be a better game. more interactivity. It looks as if Half Life 2 is going to be as revolutionary as Half Life. If not, then just as fun and popular. Which means a huge modding comunity.
    Hidden Content name="quality" value="high" /> Hidden Content quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="88" height="70" name="H2lvl" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

I haven't played the original Half Life so I am going to base my decision of superiority on graphics, since I can't really put my say in on which will have better gameplay. My vote goes to Half Life 2, most realistic game I have ever seen.
    Hidden Content

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others" - Nelson Mandela

I'd go with Halo 2. Half-Life was great and all but what everyone remembers the most is the mod support. If Half-Life 2 is just like Half-Life then it's not going to be that great. If a game needs mods to save its life then it wasn't a great game in the first place. I've only played the single-player for Half-Life just twice. Once on PC and once on PS2. After that I never cared for it. So the mods are what added life to it. Halo, I've played the single-player countless times. Multiplayer, Halo wins again. Honestly tell me about a large group of people still playing Half-life's default multiplayer? Barely anybody because they're playing the mods. Bungie is working hard to deliver a game with greatness on all fronts. Valve is just using the modding community as a third leg. They won't have to pour their hearts into making a great multiplayer because "the modding community can do that for us." The time that Half-Life 2 will show greatness is when Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, and Team Fortress 2 come out. Other than that Half-life 2 will just be played and then it'll just sit there until the first mod appears.

There's still no doubt that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will get Game of the Year even with their flaws. Yes there's always more than one GOTY. Gamespot will have theirs and so will IGN. Remember how No One Lives Forever and Half-Life both got game of the year in the same year?
    Hidden Content
    Now Playing: Pantera - Cemetary Gates

The Frew-its of the Devil

They both look so awsome, I can't really say... the physics of half life 2 are amazing... but the Grandiosity of halo 2 cannot be denyed. Both are going to be on my shelf when they come out... lets just hope Half Life 2 on Xbox is actually as good as it's PC counterpart will be... we'll just have to wait and see who wins game of the year !

BTW I voted Halo 2... as my PC won't be able to run HL 2 when it comes out... and Who knows if HL 2 will be as good on Xbox as it is on PC... however, we already KNOW Halo 2 will ROCK DA CAZBAH come next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I do not say anything offensive, people simply take offense to the things I say." Keith Valdez '96'

Yeah, they're both undeniably "must-haves" although my instinct tells me that Halo will be the one with the most replay value. Besides, I thought Half-Life 2 will only be on PC. If they were both on Xbox, that would be more of a competition, wouldn't it?

I say Halo2. Halo was just too fun, HL was awesome too, but Im rrreeaalllyy looking forward to Halo2(who's not?). But since Im getting em both (all of you should), I don't really care whats better.

Im getting a better computer this summer, so chances are I'll be getting HL2 on PC, as well as Halo1 and Doom3.

The answer is forty-two frog11983's Avatar

After seeing the E3 trailers for both... I'm going to go with Half-Life 2. I'm a huge Halo fan and loved playing the game, but I absolutely love destructible environments and think it adds so much more to the game. In the plot area Halo2 might have the edge (just as long as those d@mnith flood don't come back), but seeing the physics engine and the AI on Half-Life2, I think I might enjoy playing it more. But really... I'm going to love both games a lot, so it doesn't really matter. Neither game is here yet, and I really really want both.
    The glove compartment isn't accurately named.

Originally posted by frog11983
    In the plot area Halo2 might have the edge (just as long as those d@mnith flood don't come back)
    ANOTHER FLOOD HATER! stupid little vegetable lookin animals. I hate when you have no shield left and u have like 100 of them on your ass

Originally posted by bretman1234

ANOTHER FLOOD HATER! stupid little vegetable lookin animals. I hate when you have no shield left and u have like 100 of them on your ass
    yeah at first they were a good twist to the story, but they just got real annoying after awhile...
    FLOOD HATERS UNITE!

Halo 2 all the way becuase i don't have to worry about me upgrading my xbox, For halflife 2 ill probably have to add more RAM like 512, even tho i got 512 now... and upgrade the 1.83 ghz athlon XP and the ATi Radeon 9700pro... so no im with Halo 2, can't wait to see the new bump mapping and the new lighting effects.
    F*** with the game, don't let the game f*** you.

Originally posted by CuBaNo
    Halo 2 all the way becuase i don't have to worry about me upgrading my xbox, For halflife 2 ill probably have to add more RAM like 512, even tho i got 512 now... and upgrade the 1.83 ghz athlon XP and the ATi Radeon 9700pro... so no im with Halo 2, can't wait to see the new bump mapping and the new lighting effects.
    No reason to upgrade bud! They are BOTH coming out for the XBOX

Originally posted by frog11983

No reason to upgrade bud! They are BOTH coming out for the XBOX
    not necessarily

wasn't there another thread around here about how half life 2 might not come out for xbox?

Originally posted by bretman1234

not necessarily

wasn't there another thread around here about how half life 2 might not come out for xbox?
    ah, there was some confusion a couple of days ago, but I think it was cleared up...

In this bleak Xbox financial report on the Puget Sound Business Journal David Hufford, a product manager in Microsoft’s Xbox group stated "As of now, Half-Life 2 is not going to be on the Xbox," he said. "Valve is sending us mixed messages on that."

Half-Life 2, made by Seattle game developer Valve Software, was the most talked about game at this years E3 overshadowing both Halo 2 and Doom III for not only it’s outstanding physics but the new and improved graphics engine.

Valve Software’s Doug Lombardi today told GameSpy Half-Life 2 is certainly in development for the Xbox. "Half-Life 2 is planned for the PC and Xbox. We’ve announced the shipping date for the PC version [September 30, 2003 - ed.], and we’ll announce a shipping date for the Xbox version later in the year."

So there you have it. Worry no more.. Mr. Freeman is coming.
    here at home

YES!!!!!!!!! thanks frog!

No prob bob

Starving College Student

Originally posted by Stormlord
    I'd go with Halo 2. Half-Life was great and all but what everyone remembers the most is the mod support. If Half-Life 2 is just like Half-Life then it's not going to be that great. If a game needs mods to save its life then it wasn't a great game in the first place. I've only played the single-player for Half-Life just twice. Once on PC and once on PS2. After that I never cared for it. So the mods are what added life to it. Halo, I've played the single-player countless times. Multiplayer, Halo wins again. Honestly tell me about a large group of people still playing Half-life's default multiplayer? Barely anybody because they're playing the mods. Bungie is working hard to deliver a game with greatness on all fronts. Valve is just using the modding community as a third leg. They won't have to pour their hearts into making a great multiplayer because "the modding community can do that for us." The time that Half-Life 2 will show greatness is when Counter-Strike 2, Day of Defeat 2, and Team Fortress 2 come out. Other than that Half-life 2 will just be played and then it'll just sit there until the first mod appears.

There's still no doubt that Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 will get Game of the Year even with their flaws. Yes there's always more than one GOTY. Gamespot will have theirs and so will IGN. Remember how No One Lives Forever and Half-Life both got game of the year in the same year?
    well its not really fair to compare the amount of people playing halo multi to half life....lets see how many people are playing halo multiplayer in 5 years

but yeah, youve got a major point in the fact that half life relied on mods...but uh this may be untrue for hl2, seeing as they're keeping their multiplayer aspect so closely guarded. my guess/dream is that itll ship with counter-strike2 or team fortress2, or both but maybe theyll have some crazy objective based stuff in the half life universe...imagine having teams of human soldiers and barneys with vehicles versus combine soldiers versus xen...imagine playing as a strider online, impaling other ACUTAL PLAYERS with your giant daddy-longlegs-legs, then blowing them up with your superduperlaserbeamgunthing, all while you're fighting against (or with, i don't think we know yet) combine soldiers....or humans...

as for you guys who say halo2 will have a better story....im just not sure. theres so much we don't know about either one. Who's fighting who in hl2? humans vs xen and combine? but apparently some aliens are with the humans...who exactly ARE the combine guys...why is gordon in europe?...why the career shift from scientist to soldier? whats up with that flying manatee-helicopter thing (its in the 25 min trailer)

then halo2...what're we gonna do after the covies are on earth? whatabout 343gs? the flood? how do we attack the cov homeworlds? whered the brutes come from? how long is this after halo1.

next year's GotY competition is gonna be brutal.....half life 2 v halo2 v doom3 v fable v black and white 2 (maybe) v BC (maybe) v rogue squadron 3

[edit] ahh i forgot, half life is THIS year, halo is NEXT year...so BOTH can be GotYs... yay!
    Official Turtle of XBA

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Originally posted by Dre

Hello!?! Halo 2 E3 trailer bro, got like 8 minutes of a dude playing.
    Holy sh-it that was running on the xbox hardware? man-o-man what else can i say.

Thread Information